The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crites 460 headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crites 460 headers
    Posted: 03-August-2014 at 7:46AM
When I got to the dealership Saturday, my 460 headers from Crites Restoration Products had arrived! I pulled them from the box to check them out and then I did a quick assembly on my 460 mounted on the engine stand to see how easily they go together.... I did have to ream the front mounting slot a bit deeper on cylinder #7 but that was the only snafu putting them together. 2" primary with 3 1/2" collectors... can't wait to hear these muthas rumble!!!

** CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN TO SUPERSIZE**

The true test however will be installing them with everything in place (ps steering box, transmission, etc). They are guaranteed to fit, so time will tell.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 03-August-2014 at 12:13PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 8:09AM
Sweeeeet!!!
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 8:32AM
wow those headers are bigger than your engine! 2" primary tubes? they outta flow! (geez joe, are planning on putting a 671 blower on there???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 9:21AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

When I got to the dealership Saturday, my 460 headers from Crites Restoration Products had arrived! I pulled them from the box to check them out and then I did a quick assembly on my 460 mounted on the engine stand to see how easily they go together.... I did have to ream the front mounting slot a bit deeper on cylinder #7 but that was the only snafu putting them together. 2" primary with 3 1/2" collectors... can't wait to hear these muthas rumble!!!

The true test however will be installing them with everything in place (ps steering box, transmission, etc). They are guaranteed to fit, so time will tell.

Keep us updated and don't leave out all the dirty words LOL. Do these headers require the Crites engine mounts? I have heard conflicting reports of yes and no. Hopefully they are guaranteed to fit your vehicle, not just the engine Embarrassed. Good luck with the install, they "look" to be easier to install due to them being in separate pieces. They look impressive in the pics. Once you get them test fitted, are you planning to get them coated(Nitroplate, maybe)?
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 10:26AM
Todd,

Crites says they work with the OEM mounts as well as their own...

I'll post more as it happens! Thumbs Up

Edited by TV 2M8O - 03-August-2014 at 10:13PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 11:54AM
Look sharp...some big headers. Looks like you have to weld the collector to the tubes.
I would assume you do this once the motor is in place. Or do you just do all this before installing the motor?
Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2014 at 12:10PM
Scott,

No, they are slip fit collectors that you bolt to the tubes once assembled. Double click on the second photo to enlarge the photo large enough to examine all the details....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 03-August-2014 at 12:14PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2014 at 4:54AM
Any updates? Smile
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2014 at 5:17AM
I am concerned about the side that would passenger. Looks like the header comes way out and then in at an angle. Hope you will be able to adjust that out. My hookers hug the engine tight and go up to the reliefs on the trans cross member straight. Worried you will have interference issues with the upper control arm and frame on that side.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2014 at 5:27AM
Guys, I'm still a ways off before being able to mock up the motor/chassis/suspension/AC box/transmission/crossmember assembly to check for interferences, but I hope Crites did their homework meticulously!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2014 at 8:57AM
Is yours column or floor shift?
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2014 at 11:22AM
Originally posted by 1974xr7 1974xr7 wrote:

Is yours column or floor shift?

Floor shift...

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
starsky460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote starsky460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 4:40AM
Not sure if this is common knowledge or not BUT I just got off the phone with Mrs. Crites because Mr. Crites was out running errands.  Their headers for 74 to 76 Ford Gran Torino's with a 460 WILL NOT fit column shift cars.
Carl
1976 Gran Torino Starsky & Hutch Limited Edition
FACTORY 460 c.u. engine
3:55 gears
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 7:15AM
  I really don't see why the column application would be an issue(but definitely go by what Crites recommends, they built'em), the shift cable is pretty much out of the way compared to a floor shift application. Anything can be modified, with the right tools/knowledge. I would rather look at Hooker's 6126's that "knowing" you would have to re-engineer a set of new headers. Headers sometimes require tweaking, grinding or trimming a part or two on the vehicle to clearance everything, that is one thing, doing "fit manipulation" on an expensive set of headers is quite another deal. Hopefully Crites gives details on why a column shift application won't work with their headers.   

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2016 at 7:12AM
Guys,

The headers are installed (mock up) and they fit beautifully with OEM mounts! See my project thread (http://forum.grantorinosport.org/project-tv-2m8o_topic7279_page24.html) about 3/4 of the way down and follow along. They clear the AC Evaporator housing on the firewall as well as power steering hoses and steering box... the pitman arm just does touch the tube so I plan on adding a well placed dimple just in case the power assist pushes it a bit more that direction before sending them out for powder coating.

It's pretty congested at the base of the steering column with all the tubes snaking their way thru there, so I can understand why Crites does not recommended them for column shift applications!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
starsky460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2016 at 7:47AM
So Mrs. Crites was correct about column shift carsBig smile
Carl
1976 Gran Torino Starsky & Hutch Limited Edition
FACTORY 460 c.u. engine
3:55 gears
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2016 at 9:31AM
The other reason they don't recommend them for column shift cars is that they may melt the shifter cable.

Fixed it. typed too fast. left out the "f" in "Shift" Couldn't figure out why there was an asterisk in the middle of the word. Embarrassed

Edited by Big Bird - 24-February-2016 at 9:34AM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2016 at 6:49AM
Here are a few pics with the V-band flanges welded to the collectors prior to going out for ceramic coating...........

Edited by TV 2M8O - 28-March-2016 at 6:49AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2016 at 7:31AM

The first of May, I picked up my headers from Kustom Koatings LLC who applied a ceramic coating (titanium color) to them and they really look great!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 25-September-2016 at 7:33AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2016 at 7:36AM

The first of August, I installed the engine mounts onto the block and then set about dry fitting the MT valve covers (still trying to figure out how to spread them to fit correctly), Holley carb and spacer, oil filter and the Crites headers prior to final install in the car.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 25-September-2016 at 7:37AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2016 at 7:41AM

The beginning of September, we got the 460 and C6 in place! Was also able to get the headers reinstalled (and look how tightly they wrap around the steering box!!) but not yet torqued....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 25-September-2016 at 7:56AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2016 at 7:47AM

With everything now torqued, the driver side was perfect, but I discovered the passenger side collector was snug against the side of the transmission pan and no way to get the V-band and collector reducer installed. I contacted Crites about making me a collector that breaks 20 degrees at the primary to collector transition to get it off the pan and running back parallel to the driveshaft.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 25-September-2016 at 7:48AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2016 at 7:52AM

Something I thought of prior to talking with Kenny at Crites was the possibility of swapping the collectors side to side, so the following weekend I set about removing the driver side collector to see if it would work on the passenger side and vise-a-versa. Well the driver side collector fit onto the passenger side once rolled 180 degrees and got the collector off the transmission pan...

but the passenger side collector mounted on the driver side had the same problem as on the passenger side, the collector was right against the pan! I'll have Crites make me another driver side collector, rotate it 180 degrees and then install the tabs in the correct location to mount it on the passenger side and leave off the three hole collector flange. I'll also need to order a new V-band flange to weld to the collector once it arrives and then have it powder coated.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 25-September-2016 at 7:53AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
rancheromac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2018 at 4:07AM
I got the crites motor mounts because they say they will fit with their headers. I was getting ready to order headers from them. I did not know they came in pieces? I was not planning on welding, I thought they were just bolt on. also was wondering if they were designed to be able to put on with engine installed. thanks for any additional info

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2018 at 4:31AM
hi there ! mine is upper shift c6 460. I was ready to order but was not aware they would not fit ! is the hookers you used a more turn key application ? I also did not know they came in pieces and welding needed ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2018 at 4:42AM
aquartlow, is yours a coloum shift, if so do the hookers fit? I know my 79 did not come with 460, its a swap. I think crites headers I was looking at were for this conversion  with their motor mounts? I may go hooker after reading all comments !
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2018 at 1:42PM
Originally posted by rancheromac rancheromac wrote:

aquartlow, is yours a coloum shift, if so do the hookers fit? I know my 79 did not come with 460, its a swap. I think crites headers I was looking at were for this conversion  with their motor mounts? I may go hooker after reading all comments !

Yes, mine is also a column shift(cable) and the 6126 Hookers fit really good for all they have to snake around. The Crites mounts are said to lower the engine about 3/8" +/-, Hooker headers will probably not give enough clearance around engine cross-member or PS gear if using the Crites/Hooker combo.   

Post Reply Post Reply