The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

body removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: body removal
    Posted: 18-October-2007 at 1:34PM

Hi there.  I have seperated the body from the frame and want to know something.  I went down to napa to buy four tall jacks and was told that I didnt need them, I was told I could lift the body with a 1500 pound winch and a 3 inch strapp thru the windows ? ? ?  I dont know how heavy the body is ?? ande would this buckle the body lines or tweak some part of the roof line ??
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2008 at 12:40PM
Sounds kinda scary to do that.You risk damaging the roof.Get a large jack and stands and do it that way.Tell them guys they are knuckleheads and lets see them do it on their own cars first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Angryidiot parts guys,thats why there selling parts and not working on cars,thier dopes!!
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2008 at 1:44PM
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2008 at 1:47PM
  done deal,  did it with jacks and blocks.Now Im waiting for spring to get my frame done.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2008 at 5:21PM
Yeah nice job,don't risk bending your body in half with a hoist.Looks good,like mine did about a year ago.Spring is here,get to work,I want to see it done by the end of the month!LOL!Depends on were you live,we are finally going to get some 60's here in ny this week!Keep us updated on your progress,keep you motivated look at my S&H pics on my resto in the other forum.Its a lot of work,but I just keep plugging along!Put your future pics in the 72-76 forum,just a tip.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2008 at 6:02PM
I've heard of using an engine hoist and a 4 point chain setup bolted down at each seatbelt mounting point.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2008 at 11:03AM
Still sounds scary.Thats a big body to move around with just a engine hoist,if its starts to tip over theres no saving it,just get out of the way!
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2008 at 4:09PM
Just poking around here, BUT I have lifted my body shell off the frame a few different ways.

This was with an engine hoist at my dad's place.
I lifted the shell on my '72 by running larger grade 8 bolts with larger, thick washers in the rear panel, where the bumper is bolted to the body.
The front of the body-
I used my engine hoist to lift it; I hooked a log chain on the lower firewall, around the two welded brackets that the fender liners are bolted to.
Another choice is the bottom of the firewall
I had the trunk lid removed, interior removed, no doors, so the shell was lightened somewhat.
When I took my car apart to blast the frame, I borrowed a forklift with extended forks, and lifted the shell by the roof, with the glass in the car. No distortion occoured, nothing got bent.
This picture is with a really crappy digital camera I had at the time, I have I think some regular film photos of the car in the air on the forklift.
I know with the forklift, aligning the body and the frame was alot easier than when I had the frame swap out at my dad's place.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply