The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72-73 Gas Tank...where to buy??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldmy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72-73 Gas Tank...where to buy??
    Posted: 22-August-2014 at 2:21PM
Does anyone know where to find the gas tank for a 72 GTS for a REASONABLE price?
I don't understand why they are 2-3x the price of every other tank I've ever bought.
It kills me to spend $300+ on one.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2014 at 3:31PM
it looks like the 72-73 tanks are different than the 74 tanks, wow! they are double the price ($300+) Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2014 at 1:58AM
buy a 74 tank and straps and save some $$. plus add fuel capacity.  Do some investigation on this forum and you will see you can use a 74-76 tank.  I found this out the day after i put gas in the new 72 tank i purchased and installed.  had i not already put gas in it, i would have returned the 72 and purchased the 74/up tank.
Mike
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2014 at 11:05AM
The gas tank for the 1972 and 1973 use a different filler neck area than the 1974 - 1976 Torinos.

You might be able to re-use your '72 filler neck on the '74-'76 tank.

The tank on the 1974 - 1976 are also a different shape, the 1972 and 1973 Gran Torino have a angle to them on the bottom, as it goes to the rear of the car it goes upwards, the 1974 -1976 are big square tanks.
It has been done before though, as stated above.
Below is a picture of a '74-'76 Tank.

Edited by dave302 - 23-August-2014 at 11:48AM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2014 at 11:06AM
as far as the Rancheros go, for 1974 the vent on the top of the tank is a different style. 1972 style waa a lock ring same as the sender unit but the 74+ tanks use a plastic vent mounted in a rubber grommet

sending unit swapped over no problem even with the difference in capacity as noted above. mine went from 22.x to 26 gallon IIRC, just the shape at the rear of the tank was more squared off rather than sloped. I did tweak on the float rod a little to correct for the new bottom of tank to match empty at the sender thang

the old straps would've worked with a slight re-shape & longer carriage bolts but I did use the correct new straps

filler tube grommet was no change but plan on getting a new one if it hasn't been changed this decade

also plan on new filler breather hose & rubber for the vent to metal line if that's still there?

I just used a short piece of rubber to a small engine fuel filter to keep bugs & dirt out 

probably similar differences in the car version as what I ran into

if I ever do it again though it'll look something like this

72 GT Ute

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2014 at 11:11AM
Both tanks are different and have different fuel sending units as well. Your old sending unit will fit the new tank, but they at a different angle, so you will probably have to tweak it.

1972-73 tanks are 22.5 Gallons
1974-76 tanks are 25 Gallons

You probably should order a new locking ring and gasket for the sending unit. 

If your used filler neck gasket does not get damaged when you remove it, you might be able to re-use it, although many people recommend replacing it if is old and dry rotted, as stated above. You might have to buy new tank mounting straps, because the '74-'76 use longer mounting straps.

Or you might be able to bend your old straps and use longer carriage bolts to mount the 74-76 tank with your old straps.

Edited by dave302 - 22-October-2014 at 3:59PM
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2014 at 11:16AM
I bought my fuel tank for $259 + $36 shipping.

Spectre F48A

This is for my 72 Montego. I would guess this would be the same as the Torino

Edited by Montego01 - 23-August-2014 at 11:17AM
Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2014 at 11:19AM
Originally posted by Montego01 Montego01 wrote:

I bought my fuel tank for $259 + $36 shipping. Spectre F48A
This is for my 72 Montego. I would guess this would be the same as the Torino

Yes it is the same as the 1972 Torino.

Edited by dave302 - 23-August-2014 at 11:20AM
jcordle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcordle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2014 at 6:28AM
I just purchased a new tank for my Gran Torino Sport on Sept. 5th. from Get All Parts for $309.12 which includes tax and shipping. The price is $ 272.55 before the add ons. Hope this helps
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2014 at 6:36AM
LOCK RING AND GASKET COMES WITH NEW TANK.
Mike
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2014 at 1:14PM
YUP, Newer tank with the straps.
Remember the trunk floors are the same from 72-79.
Your 72 filler tube will work.
Not sure what the issue was with the sending unit.
There was also something about the vents BUT everything is doable.
Look for the tank out of a 76 Elite, it has a 26.4 Gallon tank

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2017 at 4:38PM
Does the 74 tank hang lower than the rear valence of the 72 body style?

I can find the 72 tank but no new straps for it.

-John
1973 GTS
soldmy72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldmy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2017 at 10:33PM
Yes it does.
I bought a really nice used set of straps from someone on this site. Try throwing a wanted ad up for a pair.
72 GTS Q-auto...sold
73 'Chero Q 4 spd
72 GTS H-auto
72 GTS Q 4spd
jcordle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcordle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2017 at 1:53AM
I bought my new tank at Get All Parts,com couple years ago. I checked and they still carry them. Part no.#: TNKF-48A.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2017 at 2:29AM
I was going to buy a new tank to modify for an electric fuel pump.   I have straps on the car that aren't in to bad shape.  I thought it would be a safer to replace them with new straps.  I'll just reuse the old ones.   Not sure why you can get them for a 74 but not for a 72.

-John
1973 GTS
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2017 at 2:43AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

Subjective of course, but wouldn't the 74-76 tank look kinda.....funny (or awkward) hanging down below the rear valence?
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2017 at 4:58AM

I was going to buy a new tank to modify for an electric fuel pump.  

you don't have to do that any more, some genius came up with an idea to put a high performance electric pump into a small auxiliary tank http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/powersurge.html

i thought there were other brands available but IDK what to search under
72 GT Ute

yellowsportwagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2017 at 6:26AM
Originally posted by changinlatitudes changinlatitudes wrote:

Subjective of course, but wouldn't the 74-76 tank look kinda.....funny (or awkward) hanging down below the rear valence?

I would have to agree!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2017 at 6:41AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

you don't have to do that any more, some genius came up with an idea to put a high performance electric pump into a small auxiliary tank http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/powersurge.html

i thought there were other brands available but IDK what to search under

Very interesting...thanks!  Basically a small pressurized gas tank under the hood.   Lots of extra plumbing but still a good option.

I'll have to think about this option.   Space is getting challenging because I've converted to hydroboost brakes with a larger reservoir. 
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2017 at 6:47AM
Originally posted by yellowsportwagon yellowsportwagon wrote:

Originally posted by changinlatitudes changinlatitudes wrote:

I would have to agree!

Yeah...i have to agree also.  Ide rather put in a fuel cell if its gonna be seen.  The one advantage to the 74 tank is that it doesn't have that angle in the bottom.  If you use the vent area on top of the tank to drop an electric fuel pump, it will sit flat on the bottom of the 74 tank which is a good thing.   It wont sit flat on the bottom in the 72 tank.  It would take more modifications to use the 72 tank.

-John
1973 GTS
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2017 at 6:56AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

<div abp="797"> <div abp="798">you don't have to do that any more, some genius came up with an idea to put a high performance electric pump into a small auxiliary tank http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/powersurge.html<div abp="798"> <div abp="798">i thought there were other brands available but IDK what to search under

Fitech makes the Fuel Command Module, which is the same thing, made for using stock fuel tanks and stock fuel pumps, on efi conversions. The stock pump supplies the fuel to the tank, and then the high pressure pump converts it to high fuel pressure.

I just did an Fitech 2x4 efi setup on a customer's 55 nomad using this setup and it works really well.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Mr.Vegasmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Vegasmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2021 at 3:33PM
Looking for new tank for my 73 grand Torino Sport...will the 73 Mustang tank fit?  What are the options and where did you guys buy them?   The Mustang tanks are cheaper look about the same what do you guys know? Thanks Ron
jcordle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcordle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2021 at 12:26AM
I bought mine in 2014 and with tax and shipping it was $309.12. At that time it was the best price I could find. I bought it from Get All Parts, hope this helps.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2021 at 8:38AM
 not sure on the mustang... spectre is the company that makes the tanks
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2021 at 10:52AM
The Mustang tank is not interchangeable.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Exodus 73GT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exodus 73GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2021 at 11:31AM
If you still havent found one! DM me! I have a source I can get from Canada at a cheap price.
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2022 at 1:12PM
Regarding the placement of a in-tank EFI pump on the 74-76 tanks . Has anyone used the top of the tank where the vent (?) is and taken advantage of the lump in the trunk floor for the placement of the EFI pump ?  I was thinking that lump would be a great access point if made removable to access the pump when / if service was needed on it .  Going to EFI our Montego and would love to get a pump and Hydramat in the tank !!

Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2022 at 4:29PM
Have just done that exactly with the FiTech 40019 retrofit pump and Hydramat…works pretty well as the pump is vented but the shape of the tank makes cutting the hole a little niggly….other than that it’s pretty straightforward…was on a 72-73 tank but the top is the same
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 3:56AM
thanks for that great information!!! It looks like I might get a pump in the tank after all !   
I think I will buy a new tank , not terribly expensive , and then I wont explode while doing this , and be able to clean it out really well from the cutting and grinding !! I’ll take pictures and post when I get it going !
If anyone else has done this ,please post your information too , pictures would be great also !!!
Thank you folks !!! 

Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 7:13AM

There is a pipe below that needs to be cut back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>