The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72-73 Gas Tank...where to buy??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 7:40AM
great pictures ! 
Wonder what that pipe / line is in the bottom? Is that the old pickup tube for the factory sender / pickup ?  
Thinking about how to abandon that line on the sender , cut it off , tap the hole and epoxy a plug into it maybe ? 
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 9:39AM
wondering if you have a measurement from top of tank to the inside bottom of it by chance ???? 
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 10:39AM
That pipe goes to the filler neck for pressure equalisation when filling…I just cut it back about 100mm so it’s out of the way of the pump…sender pickup can be blocked off so it just acts as a fuel gauge sender or not and not a fuel pickup…so me kind of cap screw will work for that…haven’t got to that part yet

Tank depth at that point is 245mm…it’s a little up the inclined part of the tank on a 72/73 but with the hydramat it shouldn’t be a problem…you don’t really want to be running the tank that low anyhow so I’m just going to treat 1/4 full as empty….
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 11:03AM
Fabulous information/ description  and pictures ! 
 That tank depth will work great for the Holley retro -fit pump I am hoping to run too !!  This is looking like a more doable project than I figured! Thanks for leading the way !!! I am ordering a new tank and straps today , got the filler neck grommet coming too .  
Keep me / us / all posted on your progress !!!  Thank you !

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 10:29PM
the new tank may not even have that tube??? joe's didn't so i cut an OEM one from a tank i had to send to him.
 handy tip: you can take a short piece of sheetmetal and tack weld it across the vent hole so you can drill the 1/4" pilot hole to guide the hole sawWink just make it smaller than the hole saw, then the whole piece will be cut out anywayWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 2:44AM
The Spectrum tank for the 74-79's will NOT have the "burp tube" installed in it. I'm in the process of adapting the one CJ sent me to install into my new tank and will post a how to once it's completed. A couple things about the OEM tube and the Spectrum tank... first, the ears on the mounting bracket at too wide to insert into the tank thru the fill hole so they will need trimmed back and second, the angle of the tube from the tank air space to the filler tube line will also need to be altered and the bracket legs holding the tube to the mounting bracket reduced and the tube reinstalled so they will fit thru the tank fill hole as well.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 3:17AM
great idea on centering the hole saw pilot bit !!!! 
I have a small air saw I was going to use after I marked out the correct diameter hole , but that way would sure work slick too !!
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 3:24AM
do the pre 74 tanks breath differently than the 74-76 > tanks do ?  
Wondering why the spectra tanks for 74 -76 are built without the “burp” tube installed if it’s an integral part of that tanks system to fill correctly? 
I have a 75 Montego , I will have to go out to the icebox and see how my tank is built as far as that tube off the back of the tank goes !   Time to put on the woolies !Confused
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 4:03AM
From looking at the above pictures of the '72 tank, it appears that the burp tube on those exit to the side of the fill tube opening... assuming that is what the flared nipple is to the right of the larger hole. Not that familiar with the earlier tanks.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 4:14AM
I don’t know if it helps you, but I had my 1973 fuel tank redone with the Gas Tank Renue process.  If you have an old tank or can find one this may help you.

Good as new after the process is done and has a warranty.

I posted in another thread about Renue.

Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 4:22AM
👍👍on the RENU process ! I am fortunate to have a RENU location pretty close , I’ve had my 69 Chevelle tank done and my 65 Riviera tank done , it is a great way to bring an old tank back to life !! They did my Chevelle tank inside and out ! Looks great under there !
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 6:51AM
just went out to the garage and looked at the tank in the 75 Montego , no nipple in the area like the other picture posted . Maybe these vent up through the filler neck themselves ?  I’ve never had any problem filling the tank so I am not sure how it purges air as it’s being filled to be honest !  The tank in this car is dead flat on the bottom too , parallel to the ground front to back . I may just use this tank and give it the RENU  treatment after I get everything cut and fit . 

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 6:55AM
'74 & up vented into the filler neck.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 6:57AM
bravo !!
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 7:05AM
seems so strange that ford would put the sender and pickup below the fuel level on the side of the tank , obviously not a problem as millions were built that way but it just looks like a leak waiting to happen??!!
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 10:37PM
Here is a picture I took of the burp tube thru the sending unit hole in my OEM '76 tank......

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2022 at 5:18AM
is that the sending unit  hole ?
Or the filler neck hole ? 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2022 at 7:25AM
Hole to the right is the filler neck hole and the smaller hole to the left is the tank vent opening... photo taken thru the sending unit hole.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2022 at 9:00AM
oh I get the orientation now !! That’s a great picture for all of us who have never  spent any time inside a gas tank before !!!!👍😂😂 thank you for sharing that picture , I don’t see anything that should interfere with the Holley pump or Hydramat .  With the ability to clock the Hydramat in a few different positions even the sender float should be able to be avoided . 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12