The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

460 engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 460 engine
    Posted: 02-September-2014 at 8:08AM
I just found a 73 460 amf trans for a really good price. Do any of you guys kno if this engine would be able to make decent power or should I stick to and older engine. Thanks.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2014 at 10:51AM
Nothing wrong with the vintage of your 460, just about any 460 can be rebuilt to deliver good, reliable power. There are some 429-460 parts that are better or more sought after, but even a "run-of-the-mill" 460 with a "good" complete rebuild can be fairly potent. Do you see any casting #'s on the heads, block and intake? What kind of power numbers are you seeking? 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2014 at 11:02AM
Any 429 or 460 in good condition will be very good. If you are looking for tip top performance then some parts will matter.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2014 at 7:30PM
It's a d3ve block and nothing crazy however I kno that most of the time everyone is looking for a d0ve or dive block and heads. So just wondering if it matters at all or not I can get a hold of a set of d0ve heads but idk yet of it'll make a difference. Thanks guys.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2014 at 11:08PM
Head casting numbers/design will make a difference in compression and/or piston selection to get them "most" out of them. This should help with the 429-460 head casting # differences:
 Lots of good info/knowledgeable folks on 460Ford.com to assist with almost any BBF questions. Hope this helps. Todd

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2014 at 6:21PM
What are you expecting to get out of it? Not necessarily hp but intended use is a big thing too.
-Billy Conturo
72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2014 at 4:57PM
Thanks todd. They do have a lot of useful information. I bought the engine and it seems to be in decent condition. I also got a c6 trans with it, both seem to need some tlc. Either way I plan on rebuilding both. Billy I plan on using it as weekend driver yet I want it to have decent hp. I think as long as it is in the 300 hp to 400 hp range I'll be happy. I have access to a pair of d0ve heads. The engine currently has d3ve heads, do you guys think I should get the d0ve heads? Thanks for your input I need to get more info about the 460 engines.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2014 at 12:27AM
IMO, I would choose using the DOVE heads(closed chamber, screw in rocker studs and usually no EGR ports) over the D3 heads, both will work fine and have/give plenty of power/reliability, just have to figure out what compression ratio your target is and select the piston that is right for each head. D3 heads usually have induction hardened exhaust valve seats to help with valve seat erosion caused from the use of unleaded fuel, though usually most of this induction hardened area is used up when a valve job(regrinding the valves/seats) is performed, so either leave the exhaust side alone or new hardened exhaust seats will be required. DOVE heads have no hardened exhaust seats from the factory, thus require the extra machine work costs(usually $150-200). To be honest it would be best to perform this process to either of these heads due to age, previous usage and/or intended use. Good luck, Todd

gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2016 at 8:26AM
thanks for the link above. i didnt get it to open till after i posted this. :P

Edited by gnrlee01 - 03-October-2016 at 9:09AM
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2016 at 7:58AM
ok, ive got a question that i need everyones opinions about. i bought a dragon fire hei distributor for 60 bucks to go on my torino. does anyone have any experience/knowledge about this particular manufacturer or distributor? are they any good, middle of the road/average, or crappy? and was the price low, fair or high?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2016 at 8:26AM
never heard of it but everybody and their brother are making HEI dist. for most engines these days! is it like a GM style HEI?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2016 at 8:51AM
yes, its like a gm style.

what is the one that you have on yours and how much did it cost you?

Edited by gnrlee01 - 30-October-2016 at 8:52AM
gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2016 at 4:20PM
what hei distributors do you guys have and how much were they?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2016 at 4:56PM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

yes, its like a gm style.

what is the one that you have on yours and how much did it cost you?
i think i paid $85 for mine in the torino. the one in my blazer was from skip white it was $50. now the one in my toyota was from davis and it was specially dialed in on a dist. machine to my cam, etc. it cost $350
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 12:37AM
Piggy backing off of this, I am so tired of trying to deal with the Clevelands, if this engine goes back, I might have access to a 68 249, maybe I will go over that and drop it in. I have read the site listed up above, but does any one want to offer an opinion on the 68's?
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 1:21AM
Will drop in as I have a 69/70 - 429 in my 73, need Crites mounts (but they're built like sh*t, buy them, copy them, send them back) I'm going to be selling mine and making motor plates up instead.....

Will need big block C6 as well, bolts right in though

68 should be a D0VE or C9 block with the same heads, I have D0VE-A block with the upgraded Boss 429 bulkhead and D0VE-C heads, using the Mercury Marquis manifolds it fits in but obviously needs custom downpipes 
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 1:24AM
"D0" = 1970 . a 1968 429/460 engine will have a "C8" block and heads.

Edited by MrSmog - 04-May-2017 at 1:53AM
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 2:07AM
It is a C8VE, I have a C6.
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 2:25AM
I have the D3VE heads currently on my gold '72 460. It runs very well with them, a healthy cam/lifter/spring/timing set, intake manifold, truck manifolds. However, I bought a set of D0VE-C heads for it that should wake it up and will be adding more carb and a set of headers in the future. The D0 heads are much better heads, but the D3 work pretty well with a warmed-over 460.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
500HPTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 500HPTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 5:30AM
If you are going to do a 385 series block (429-460) I would recommend the 460 truck short block with 429 DOVE heads. the stock lower end with ARP rod bolts and Main studs will take 750 hp. I would also change the pistons to a forged. slight dish. It will bump up the comp ratio from 8.1 to 10.5. comp cams makes a lot of good cam's for that block.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 12:58PM
Originally posted by foote500 foote500 wrote:

Piggy backing off of this, I am so tired of trying to deal with the Clevelands, if this engine goes back, I might have access to a 68 249, maybe I will go over that and drop it in. I have read the site listed up above, but does any one want to offer an opinion on the 68's?
Depending on what it originally came in, many late 60s 429/460 engines have a power steering pump built onto the crankshaft and timing case...
It can be removed and replaced with useful parts, but that's just more parts you have to source.
They were all originally built for leaded 93 octane gas, so valve seats aren't hardened, and pinging is almost certain. You can dial back the timing and de-tune, but...again, right answer is a rebuild with appropriate parts for today's fuel.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 2:10PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Originally posted by foote500 foote500 wrote:

Depending on what it originally came in, many late 60s 429/460 engines have a power steering pump built onto the crankshaft and timing case...
It can be removed and replaced with useful parts, but that's just more parts you have to source.
They were all originally built for leaded 93 octane gas, so valve seats aren't hardened, and pinging is almost certain. You can dial back the timing and de-tune, but...again, right answer is a rebuild with appropriate parts for today's fuel.

Yep^^, they also use a different style water pump and pulley's with different "offset" dimensions as compared to '70 and up 429/460's.

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2017 at 12:35PM
We were having this exact conversation this weekend at SRN.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2017 at 12:47PM
FWIW i don't see any issues 351C specific, just general that can / do & will happen working with any platform
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply