The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

blow by

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blow by
    Posted: 02-September-2014 at 9:12AM
At what point would blow by be an issue.After 2500 mi my air cleaner looks like I have not changed it in yr.Remove breathers looks like two ind having a conversion,yet it has not used any oil,
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2014 at 2:54PM
check your PCV valve, line, and fitting at the carb or manifold. my 2300 ford did that drove me nuts no oil usage, but made a mess, so i pulled it out, tore the motor down, had it hot tanked, bored, all new high performance parts, put it back in, still blow oil out around the filler Angry later come to find out the carb adapter plate where to PCV hose connects was plugged solid with crud! so bad that with the hose off it ran and idled fine!!!
     just a thought!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2014 at 4:29PM

x2, what CJ suggested.

Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2014 at 5:00PM
compression check never hurts either.
-Billy Conturo
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 12:03AM
Comp.ck will try later. carb could be.Never gave it a though.It is vapor locking or something.Wet around the base.Thanks for ans.I did replace pvc before trip to Ky.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 2:52AM
If you are getting good vacuum at the PCV valve, then that port is clear.

Question: when the car is idling and you remove the oil filler cap, is there a lot of visible vapor (smoke) coming from the valve cover hole? Yes - blow-by. No - no excessive blow-by. Now, running hard on the interstate for extended periods of time can blow some oil out on older engines (especially if you have high operating oil pressure). You did just make that KY trip.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 3:18AM
yes at idle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 4:06AM
If you have a lot of visible vapor coming from the valve cover hole (when the cap is removed), then the engine has excessive blow-by (will have a strong "oily" smell). Blow-by is crankcase vapor that escapes past the piston rings in engines with high mileage and/or excessive wear. When your PCV system is working correctly, this vapor is routed back to the baseplate of the carb and/or air cleaner case to be re-introduced into the induction system for combustion. Normally, you won't see any oil "seepage" on the case filter or on the exterior of the engine, but when there is excessive pressure or wear, it will show up. This is assuming that your crankcase ventilation system is functioning correctly. The solution? Live with it and keep an eye on the oil level or rebuild the engine. 351 Windsors (in particular) can run for years with blow-by, but it is a condition that will only worsen. Compression test will help confirm, but my guess is that the engine is a just little tired.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 10:22AM
If it is only oil control ring issue it may not show on a compression check, but it's worth a try. I would make sure there is vacuum to the PCV, and then check that the PCV is pulling air thru, even though PCV is new. Also check the breather hose for oil accumulation
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 10:40AM
Trying to give other people shot at this too. Don't want to be a know-it-all. 
Only time I have seen crazy crankcase oil vapor like that is from a broken piston ring or boost on an engine that doesn't have the proper pcv system to cope. I have heard of it happening with general wear but with that much freedom in the bores it seems like piston slap would be obvious. Maybe not. Most of the clowns I hang out with blow their sh** up before that point.Evil Smile Either way, oil should never be getting to the air cleaner. In theory the connection from the valve cover to the air cleaner should be pulling clean air into the crank case not the other way around. The on the other valve cover should be seeing vacuum and sucking all the vapors out of the crankcase into the intake system to be burned up. Like this...

atmosphere>air filter>crankcase>intake vacuum>combustion chamber>exhaust>atmosphere

A compression check is well worth your time. A broken piston ring isn't the end of the world either. At least you would know that there is nothing you can do but move onto the next thing until you are ready for an overhaul. I guess you could build a catch can for way cheap.
-Billy Conturo
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 1:12PM
Well she has 67000mi on her.Guess she did not like the Ga and Ky trips.The air cleaner has oil in the little filter,and the new filter looks like a yr. or so old. No knocks or noises Interesting thing when vac to dis unhooked to set timing sounds like a exhaust leak at back of motor hook everything back up and it goes away?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 1:57PM
Bob did this become noticeable after you stripped your emissions stuff?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 2:09PM
Fordpower, 
Still using the stock valve covers? Some aftermarket VC's do not have baffles covering the PCV and/or oil fill orifices, without the baffles to somewhat control the oil vapors it can lead to the same type of "blow-by" issues you are experiencing. Just a thought.    
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2014 at 2:09AM
stock valve covers. Yes to noticed after removing smog lines and driving to Ky.Last yr trip to Ga dip stick broke sprayed oil all over hood fire wall and motor.Gave it no though the car runs fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2014 at 3:21AM
67K is not a lot of miles, but it could be worn. Sounds like a lot of crankcase pressure if it blew out the dipstick. Perhaps something else is going on.

Example:

On my '76 351W Torino, I bought it with low miles in 1980. Previous owner didn't service the engine...really at all. I flushed out the engine with kerosene and drove it for about 3 years. Hard. Smoked when I would take off from stoplights (since the day I bought it, and I knew it was worn). Had a lot of blow-by, ran quiet as a mouse. Perhaps I was lucky or the engine was just "loose" enough, but I tortured it every day. 55-60 mph in 1st (it would basically pull until it leveled off), then shift just to hear the tires bark 2nd. Over and over and over. Doing the imitation "straight-shift" shifts (run it up in 1st, blip it, then shift), and then doing the same on downshifts when coming to a stop. It never even hiccupped. Plenty of power, fired right up, but used oil. Started at 10W-30, then 30W straight, then 40W, then mixing 40W and 50W Kendall. Still ran like new when I parked it in the early-mid 80's with 91K miles.

My point is that sometimes they can wear prematurely, have blow-by, even smoke but run fine and for years like that. Your car does not smoke, so I would check all crankcase venting/vacuum areas, check your compression (as a precaution), monitor oil usage and pressure, and just drive it. Otherwise, if all checks out as within the normal parameters, think about a rebuild. This may be my imagination, but your car sounded differently this last trip. Did you change your exhaust setup? The best way I can describe it is that it sounded a little "flat". Not missing, not bad, just differently than I recalled. Not as peppy, maybe? Does it seem down on power or not as spunky as it used to?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2014 at 6:33AM
Bob, this might be unrelated, but I owned  '75 Tbird, I bought used with 28,000 yrs. ago. (one of two of the worst Fords I ever owned. Yeah I said it) I started having issues with it about a yr. later. All of them related to the previous owner who ran the eng. hot at one time. One of the issues were a similar, oil in the air cleaner & breathers. I pulled one of the valve covers off. Turns out the rubber valve stem seals had broke down & pieces of them were lying in the drain holes that allow the oil to drain back to the oilpan. I cleaned both heads out, seemed to help, but didn't own the car much longer. I'm not saying that's your problem(sure hope not) but maybe you have  some kind of blockage of your drain holes(gunk from old 10-40 oil). I would still suggest checking your vacuum system thou. Did I mention I have the factory Vac./ Elec manual for '77-78 LTDII I'll give you with the rest of the parts that you bought? I would e mail you some pages in the meantime,but I can't fit the thing on my printer. I think there are diagrams some where in the Forum library.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2014 at 8:19AM
same exhaust nothing but cats. You are right evonne noticed it does not have the crisp snap to the exhaust it had sort of mellow and lazy now.
 Post Reply Post Reply