The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

heater core A/C car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heater core A/C car
    Posted: 06-September-2014 at 11:30AM
Took the car out a couple nights age. When I got in and started it to go home, the windshield fogged up and the car got filled with that wonderful sweet not-quite-maple-syrup smell of antifreeze. No water on the floor YET, but....
No clue how the damned thing comes out, but I'm hoping it's not as bad as a Clown Vic.
Anyone done one???
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2014 at 1:27PM
It should come out from the engine compartment. Three 5/16"screws hold the plate that holds the heater core in place(just above the passenger side valve cover, you'll see where the heater hoses attach to the heater core's water lines). Really easy as compared to having to remove one from the interior side. Be careful taking the heater core out, the foam rubber insulator is usually fragile by now. Good luck. Todd 

Edited by aquartlow - 06-September-2014 at 1:29PM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2014 at 2:05PM
Under the hood??? Engine Compartment??? I DON"T need to pull the whole dash apart??? There is a God!!
Hadn't even considered that as a possibility... Every Ford I ever did this to involved hours of lying under the dash looking for the screw I missed, with crap falling in my eyes...This one was looking to be a "Censored"
Clown Vics usually got "Joe-d" in the corner of the box to get it out without pulling the whole dash.
Appreciate the help, I will try it tomorrow.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2014 at 2:30PM
Your '79 heater core is different from earlier model heater cores, so make sure you get the correct one, it fits a '79 only. Good luck, hopefully not too many bad words will be spoken LOL. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2014 at 10:23AM
The difference I believe is they went to 3/4 hose on one end.The core looked the same ford welded a larger end on it.Also the intake has a larger connection. 5/8 from pump 3/4 to intake.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 2:56AM
Yep, that is easier. I replaced the one on my red wagon (non-A/C) and everything was inside, under the dash. Lots of fragile plastic pieces, so take your time and don't start hammering, LOL.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 8:45AM
I've done this to more Clown Vics than I care to remember, and it's either take the whole dash apart, or take a lot of it apart and use a jack to force the dash up/out to remove the box, and cut a couple parts off w/ a sawzall to make it go back in...
half a dozen or so little hexhead screws and take a cover off, lift core out...
SO much easier Tongue
Randy
1979 T-Bird
 Post Reply Post Reply