The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shot peened rods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shot peened rods
    Posted: 16-September-2014 at 3:20PM
I've read a couple articles about shot peening the rods, and I get 2 different school of thoughts.
Some say if does nothing at all, some say it is there to prevent tiny cracks from forming.
I would love to keep the stock rods, and I wonder if I should get em shot peened.
I plan on doing a mild build.

What do you guys think?
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2014 at 4:23PM
Are rod failures a common Cleveland problem? If not, just clean up any flash/polish the rods, resize the ends.
It will relieve stress in the surface of the metal, but if there isn't a track record of stress cracking failures... that money that could be better spent in other areas (on the oiling system, for instance...)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2014 at 12:18AM
In my humble opinion:
Shot peening them will give you a little added strength, but the increase is so inperceptable that unless you are shooting for someplace north of 500/600 horses, it's not worth the money or time. On a mild or even moderate build, I wouldn't waste my money.
I would however, as Randy suggests, clean them for any flash or burrs. You want a smooth-ish surface on internal engine parts. The thoughts are for oil run off. You want everything getting oil on them, but still want as much oil as possible getting to the oil pump for circulation. Also be careful when you are cleaning things for burrs and rough spots due to weight. When I clean a set of rods, or anything that moves internally in an engine, I use a scale. I have a small kitchen (used for weighing food) scale that I use to weigh each rod to make sure I keep their weight the same. When and engine is spinning at 4000 rpms, those rods are really flinging around. A small difference can give you a vibration and early wear on the bearings. (I actually use the same scale when I am sharpening my lawn mower blades.)
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2014 at 12:25AM
Well, I would love to shoot for 500hp, but that will be dictated b the set of heads I end up with.
I plan on weighting all rods and pistons to get them to match. If I can get some money, I will get everything balanced too.

I guess I won't bother shot peening the rods then. In my mind, it does ony work if you come close to the stress crack but never go above.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2014 at 11:42AM
the stock rods will do 500hp

there's specific procedure to do it properly, the whole rod doesn't get shot, specific pressure, distance & shot

I agree the improvement is next to imperceptible

an old bud had a batch of 10 sbc rods X-ray'd, 2 of them showed internal flaws that were not visible to the eye

luckily he still had 8 good rods left to work with
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply