The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wire harness retainer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wire harness retainer
    Posted: 17-September-2014 at 3:14PM
Looking for a source for underhood harness retainers for my 75 torino. Has anybody found a company that has these? Or does anybody have a few they could spare?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2014 at 3:51PM
Have you tried National Parts Depot? They have quite a few parts that will work on our rides.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2014 at 10:07PM
I tried NPD, either they don't have them or I couldn't find it on their site.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2014 at 12:43AM
Here is a place that has plenty of wiring options, including clips, retainers and such. http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Clips_s/219.htm
Here are a couple of options, though not a perfect match or for a concours restoration, these should work for your wiring needs.
or

Hopefully either one of these is an option for you. It is sad that there isn't any more options/support with the small parts for our rides. You either have to "make do" with 35-40+ year old parts or use an un-original part and make it "fit/work". Good luck. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
DLW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2014 at 6:17AM
these might work??  not sure of specs / size.

Original wire loom clip
< ="Original wire loom clip" itemprop="name"> < ="7.00" itemprop="price"> < ="USD" itemprop="priceCurrency">

Description: Original Wire Loom Clip (Grade A)
Year: 1969-70
Condition: Used Original
Finish:&nbsp; Like NOS, opaque white
Part #:
Engineering #:
Date Code: none
Jack'
s Comments: This clip was commonly used to attached wire looms like the wiper motor harness, taillight trunk wiring, hood scoop turn signal wiring and attaching sections of the engine compartment wire harness to the inner fenders in 1969 and some 1970's.&nbsp; It was either attached by cloth electrical tape (wiper motor loom) or integrated into the wire wrap (main engine wire harness).&nbsp;&nbsp; A black version is available in reproduction but not in white.&nbsp; I only come by a few clips that are this white in&nbsp;so the price reflects their rarity.
Shipping: Free

Price:$7.00
Availability:in stock
Prod. Code:FH0001

Edited by DLW - 18-September-2014 at 6:20AM
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2014 at 6:56AM
It says in jacks comments that black ones are reproduced.  They are probably considerably cheaper.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2014 at 11:55AM
I ran across some similar harness mounts a while back by accident. They were VERY close to what we need but not exact. I'll have to dig thru some of my reference material and see if I printed off the info.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2014 at 12:32PM
I have found a similar type of clip, like in the picture below. The seller is selling 25 of them for $20.59 with free shipping. Maybe you can modify these clips so that they will be correct for your application.

Size:3/8” x 2-1/2”, Stem Length: 1/2", Fits into 1/4" hole. To see them click here.

GM-Wiring-Harness-Clips-wire-clips-25-19853-Engine-Compartment-Frame-rails
I have also found the other type, like in the picture below. The head size is: 9mm X 37mm, they fit into a 1/4" hole. The seller is selling 50 of these clips for $16.99 plus $4.12 for shipping. To see them click here.
50-Wiring-Harness-Clips-9mm-X-37mm-GM-12160857

Edited by dave302 - 18-September-2014 at 1:11PM
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2014 at 2:32PM
Anybody have an old harness that they could part with a couple of nice clips? I won't be able to use the white color because of there location. Still searching for the black repo ones...
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2014 at 5:39PM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

The seller is selling 25 of them for $20.59 with free shipping.
That's almost a dollar a clip!Shocked

anyways.. I will look through my bin of wiring harnesses for you and see if I can find some I didn't destroy on removal.
-Billy Conturo
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2014 at 6:16AM
I had just tried to find the black colored reproduction wire harness retainer clips, but i could not find them. But i will try to keep looking for them.
If you are not able to find the correct retainers for your application, there is a seller that is offering a quantity of 10 wire harness retainers for $3.37 plus $2.95 for shipping.
The measurements are: 3/8" wide X 1-7/16" long and they have a 9/32" diameter, with a 7/16" long stem. They are made of white nylon, but maybe you can paint them black.

In this next auction this same seller claims that these same exact size retainers will fit a 1972 ford ranchero, but this auction is for a quantity of 20 retainers for $6.30 plus $2.95 for shipping.

Ford-Lincoln-Mercury-wiring-harness-retaining-clips

Edited by dave302 - 19-September-2014 at 9:29AM
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2014 at 7:02AM
Here are a couple pictures of the clip removed from the harness & wrapping........

Still diggin on my end!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2014 at 12:32PM
john, you are needing those for the under hood section? i can look on my harness to see if a couple are good, i'm going to go through my harness and eliminate any unnecessary wires and probably extend it some to route it back behind the fenders to clean up that wiring mess (out of sight, out of mind) Wink 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2014 at 1:45PM
John, looks like Joe already has them almost ready to ship....Unless he's just teasing me! HaHaHaHa
 Seriously,If you can find and can spare a couple of good ones let me know. Adding my MSD ignition and Wigwag to the harness,I broke three of them. all the extras I had are to brittle to use.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2014 at 1:50PM
Dave, thanks for your efforts/ computer/ auto knowledge! I enjoy the chase of finding OEM correct stuff for my car. I do have the white style retainers from my stint at my Ford Dealership.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2014 at 2:41PM
Your Welcome.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2014 at 11:32AM
OK guys, getting close. I received this sample this afternoon.....

This is as close to the original style that I can find. It's missing the hole and slot in each arm for securing a single wire without the need of tape (which could easily be added in those rare instances) but I think it will work well buried in a harness covered with electrical tape and loom wrap. It even includes the foam rubber washer that may help to waterproof the mount along the front wheel houses! Damn, now I need to find my original to do an actual side by side comparison! LOL, glad to know I ain't the only one who misplaces parts!

Pricing will follow in a day or two and it looks like I'll have to buy about 500pcs minimum, so everyone please let me know how many you need!

More info and pics to follow once I get pricing... and find my darn pieces!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 20-October-2014 at 11:34AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2014 at 1:08PM
Those look good Joe. Try to estimate how many of them are used in various parts of the cars. That might help to figure out how many the rest of us could need.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2014 at 11:24AM
OK, I found my OEM harness retainer and here are some side by side comparisons. Here is as purchased compared to EOM (rubber sealing washer removed)....

and here is the purchased clip with washer flange & length quick trimmed to match OEM (no wire holes or slots added)....

Still awaiting cost to import 500/1000pcs from China.....

Will advise once I've gotten pricing.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2014 at 12:28PM
Joe, looks good, try installing them is their respected holes before you wrap the harness...The ones I used were a little to big to snap into the holes.They looked just right but I had to shave the base on the shank as so it would fit the hole.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2015 at 9:56AM
OK guys, I've finally gotten pricing back on the sample clips above. I HAVE TO BUY A MINIMUM OF 500PCS (standard package size) and have them imported. Anyone interested in getting some of these for 1.25 each (+s&h)? Let me know what you need and I'll reserve them for you.......
Once I get them in, I'll make up packs of 10/25/50/100pcs and get shipping prices via USPS.

Edited by TV 2M8O - 10-November-2019 at 9:21AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2015 at 4:55AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2017 at 5:44AM
JUST A REMINDER THAT I STILL HAVE A FEW OF THESE LEFT..............

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2017 at 6:53AM
PM sent
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply