The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sport Mirrors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lscya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sport Mirrors
    Posted: 29-September-2014 at 8:12AM
so I scored a pair of remote control sport mirrors. The down side, am hesitant to cut the perfect 36 year old door panels.  Is there a way to convert remote mirrors to just plain old mirrors?  
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 8:46AM
The REAL down-side is that you can't see a Censored thing in the sport mirrors.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
lscya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lscya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 9:27AM
Seeing out of 'em not a big issue for me.  They just look better than the ones on it now.  

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 10:16AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

The REAL down-side is that you can't see a Censored thing in the sport mirrors.

They're too small for the big car huh?
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 10:34AM
They are small, but it just makes me be more vigilant when checking traffic during a lane change. As far as the door panel mounting issue, the driver's side door panel has a perforated cutout on the backside for the remote knob & power window switch on cars that did not come with that option, an easy solution for adding them. if the passenger side is remote(they were avail. remote or non remote), then that knob mounting is alittle more involved, as that is located between the wiper switch & radio knob that uses a metal backing plate & of course drilling a hole in the lower dash. 72- 79 Rancheros.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
75ranchero460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75ranchero460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 12:13PM
I like sport mirrors!
Gary

Ranchero=Fun

1975 Ranchero GT 460

1971 Torino GT

1962 (custom) Econoline

1967 Cougar

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (sold)
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 1:42PM
Originally posted by Ranchero Fan Ranchero Fan wrote:

They are small, but it just makes me be more vigilant when checking traffic during a lane change. As far as the door panel mounting issue, the driver's side door panel has a perforated cutout on the backside for the remote knob & power window switch on cars that did not come with that option, an easy solution for adding them. if the passenger side is remote(they were avail. remote or non remote), then that knob mounting is alittle more involved, as that is located between the wiper switch & radio knob that uses a metal backing plate & of course drilling a hole in the lower dash. 72- 79 Rancheros.

Do you think the right remote knob can be placed where the windshield hole is, to replace it? I will not need the windshield control knob with mine, it'll be on the turn signal stalk.

BTW, back when I was working on mine in 1989, I moved the left sport mirror forward by drilling two new holes. I filled the two rear original holes(of the three stock holes). I thought the mirrors were too far back, so I tried my hand at using fiberglass body filler to fill the old holes, and stripped/painted the door. The mirror looked good in the new location, but I left it off since I was not going to finish the truck soon. I was not planning on waiting this long.Cry
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 3:12PM
That should work, as the cable has enough slaSpell Checkck, but I believe you'll need the back metal reinforcement that I mentioned earlier, because outer mounting ring screws into it.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 4:46PM
I installed a sport mirror on the passenger side of my 69 Cougar. I just coiled the cable up and left it inside the door but out of the way.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2014 at 5:19PM
i was thinking about finding a passenger side remote mirror but the regular one works fine, i have it set--- if some over on that side messes with it, i'm close enough to reach over and backhand 'em for touching it!!! OuchLOLLOLLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2014 at 7:48AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

i was thinking about finding a passenger side remote mirror but the regular one works fine, i have it set--- if some over on that side messes with it, i'm close enough to reach over and backhand 'em for touching it!!! OuchLOLLOLLOL

My old 72 Gran Torino didn't have a right side mirror, you're lucky now.

I just bought memory mirrors from a 97 Town Car, to retrofit into my 91 Mark VII. I plan to use a button on the door to reset the mirrors if somebody touches them.Wink
Don
 Post Reply Post Reply