The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Trac-lok chatter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Trac-lok chatter
    Posted: 17-October-2014 at 7:31PM
So I caved into my hunger for more grip out back and installed the fresh rebuilt limited slip I had around. It has used oem 3.25:1 gears and a ford trac-lok clutch pack setup with new clutches. I set it up as close to spec as I could but with it being a used gear set it was a little tough. Lube is a synthetic 75w-90 and some local parts store friction modifier additive that met the ford limited slip spec which I used at pre-lube for the clutches. I know there is some break-in involved so I've been taking it easy as much as possible, although tonight might not have been very easy on it. Evil Smile The temp of the case after 20min of driving was about 160*F. I haven't done more than 20min trips yet. Regardless, it seems to chatter a bit on sharp slow turns. Not the tire but the the differential. It's kind of a whine-chatter sound. Is that normal for a new setup? Should I be worried about anything?

Thanks
-Billy Conturo
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2014 at 7:44PM
billy, you need to add that tube of friction stuff to the gear oil. i put an auburn gear brand limited slip carrier in my blazer, well any way i had to replace the outer axle bearings later and put everything back together and filled it up with new gear oil and it would chatter bad when turning especially backing up, i'm like WTF? my buddy at the parts store asked if i put some of the friction stuff back in with the new oil? as he didn't recall selling me any with the new bearings! DAH! so i got a tube and added it -- no more chattering!!! almost instantly problem solved Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2014 at 11:00PM
Billy,
 It may need a bit more of the gear oil additive, I used the below pictured additive along with a synthetic gear oil that supposedly already had a friction modifier in it. The noise the diff makes when wanting more additive will really get your attention during turns. I ended up using about 1.5 tubes to get my 9 3/8" Trac-Lok to quit making noises. I purchased the Trans-X brand at Advance Auto, works great. Hope this helps. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2014 at 3:20AM
I had an instance where 1 tube of stuff didn't do the trick also

and that was with oil that supposedly had the stuff in it already Wacko
72 GT Ute

Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2014 at 3:45AM
I work at a Ford garage and we carry it part # XL3 , 4 oz bottle runs $6.23
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2014 at 6:12AM
Those suggestions will work. I have also used the aftermarket gear oils with an additive in them, and the separate additives parts stores sell.

The best though is to get the OEM modifier, and use Amsoil Severe gear oil. Those are the best products to use, and for a keeper or severe duty use, nothing equals those. You can also save a tiny bit of gas with the Amsoil too, it comes in three viscosities I recall.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2014 at 11:13AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

This is the stuff I used, an entire tube of it. 

I'm going to get a second tube and add some more and see what that does to help.

Thanks guys!

-Billy Conturo
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2014 at 1:25PM
i checked at the parts store, thats the stuff i used!  the 9" is bigger than my gm bolt, so you may need another tube
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2014 at 2:56PM
Just added another tube today and it helped a little bit. It still seems to groan around tight corners, almost like a rubbing sound now. Should it ever really be quiet? I don't care about noise at all if it's normal but seeing that it's a mostly OEM piece, I can't see the guys at Ford being ok with their optioned out luxury cars groaning around corners.

Housing temps were about 130*F after 30 minutes of action and 10min of cool-down driving. Ambient temp was lower too this time around, in the 50's
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2014 at 3:03PM
who put it together, how tight is the clutch pack?

72 GT Ute

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2014 at 3:13PM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

Just added another tube today and it helped a little bit. It still seems to groan around tight corners, almost like a rubbing sound now. Should it ever really be quiet? I don't care about noise at all if it's normal but seeing that it's a mostly OEM piece, I can't see the guys at Ford being ok with their optioned out luxury cars groaning around corners.

Housing temps were about 130*F after 30 minutes of action and 10min of cool-down driving. Ambient temp was lower <span style="font-size: 11.8181819915771px; line-height: 15.27272605896px;">too </span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">this time around, in the 50's</span>

I just put a new trac lok in my 70 mustang, I put the ford additive in at first, groaned badly, I put a second bottle in, still groans. So it should have enough, but I may another bottle of a different brand just to see
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2014 at 3:17PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

I'd bet that the clutches are still tight and it will loosen up with time. If the modifier is in there that it needs, I'd drive it and work it in, as you have been doing.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2014 at 3:25PM

I did EmbarrassedLOL

It was tight but within spec according the the Ford data I was able to get and from back checking the old clutches. The packs were very close in thickness. I can't remember off the top of my head right now, maybe like a few .000 difference.

Maybe just needs to loosen up a bit. I will keep an eye on it. It is a blast though, that's for sure!
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2014 at 12:37PM
then IMO you did good, who wants a center section that you don't know is there?
72 GT Ute

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2014 at 2:29AM

who wants a center section that you don't know is there?

-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2014 at 1:01PM
my old 73, the rear body would buck & heave while reversing with the wheels turned

freaked everybody out (everybody with a 1 wheel wonder)
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply