The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - options to increase rear traction on 72 ranchero g
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

options to increase rear traction on 72 ranchero g

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2014 at 9:00AM
That sounds good. I knew the manual VB options for the 4R70W wouldn't make you happy. I think the electronic control makes it harder for people to create a manual VB that works like the old kinds.

I forgot that there are possibilities to use the AOD without the TV cable. That's one of the few weak links of the AOD. Hopefully the manual VB you heard of will work as planned.

I did test fit an AOD into my 73 Ranchero in 1989 when I was going that route. It looked like the cross member was going to work fine with the AOD. There are two sets of mounting holes in the cross member. The 1972's have a different cross member(longer), the 73+ is better as it sets onto small frame ledges, so you can get to both the top and bottom of the nut/bolt.

The AOD is very similar in length to either the C4 or the C6, I think one of the stock length shafts will work.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
andyjman83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyjman83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2014 at 9:17AM
I talked to lentech, dd trans and db trans, and the aod sounds like it'll be my best bet. The 4r70w would be a good way to go but the fact that it has the electronic module that controls it and it needs programmed sounds like a pain in the butt. I have a background in programming and wiring, but it sounds like one more headache that I don't wanna deal with. Basicially what I'm probably going to do is have dd build an aod trans with an auto/manual valve body from lentechthat will allow me to put it in drive and drive around town, but allow me to ratchet the gears manually if I drag race. I will unfortunately have to use a tv cable, but that's what I have to do to be able to use it in auto mode. I was also told that the best way to do a 4r70w is to do a standard auto valve body because they tend to bind in between gears when shifting manually. the lentech vb also has a toggle switch to lockout od even if I'm in drive and not manually shifting it.

The trans from dd is about a grand cheaper than lentech, but dd doesn't have an auto/manual valve body so I will build a frankenstein.

I was told the c4 driveshaft will fit without modification, but the crossmember may need some changes.

Thanks guys,
Andy
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2014 at 9:55AM
That sounds good, and I'm sure Alan will take care of the AOD for you. I do have a couple of extra AOD parts that may be usable for you. I doubt I will use them, though I had big plans way back when. I bought a few things from Art Carr in that 1989 range, when nobody but them and TransGo had anything for the AOD.

I have a special non lockup hardened input shaft from Art Carr, and the matching torque converter(which was basically a C6 unit and rated for the mild 351C-2V I had planned). I'd guess the stall speed is likely under 3000rpm, maybe 2600 or so. Art Carr was not specific about that, only that it would be good for my heavy Ranchero, 4.11 gears and maybe 350hp.

See if Alan will be using the same input shaft as I have, I might be able to sell or trade it to him. I need a few small items from him, if he may have them.

Also, if you have time read this post I made today on a Lincoln forum, to a lady who sounds like she has a 1985 van that needs the AOD adjusted(TV rod).
This procedure is basically how the TV is adjusted for any AOD. You will begin with a pressure gauge to find the baseline of 30-33psi with the proper spacer installed in the linkage(drill X works too IIRC).
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83130
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2014 at 12:57PM
here is a calculator that works REAL well to calculate RPMs with different trannies, tires and gears

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12