The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Halogen Headlights - Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halogen Headlights - Opinions
    Posted: 21-November-2014 at 8:46AM
Was looking at this set.  Any opinions?  Quality of product?  Quality of light output?  Concerns for wiring?  Will my stock wiring be able to handle it?  Truly Plug N Play?

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 9:19AM
I was looking for a link I had for just what you are proposing. It was on a Ford truck site. If I remember correctly they did replace the headlamp wires and used relays. Apparently the halogens draw quite a bit.  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 12:54PM
not a bad price, i think i paid a little more for the one's i bought, very similar light. and they use 9007bulbs, so if they aren't as bright as you like they can be replaced with silverstar ultras that's what i'm planning on doing. i went with lights from united pacific. my plan is to maybe install mine this weekend

Edited by californiajohnny - 23-November-2014 at 5:44AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 1:01PM
I run Halogens on my 66 Chevy C10 and I had to run 2 relays.
There is a kit for the 60-66 trucks though.
Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 1:23PM
it's the headlight switch that'll not be happy, use a relay each for the low & high beams

72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 1:58PM
good point! i forgot about ford's stupid headlight switch! Angry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 2:08PM
^^watch it!^^Angry...lolLOL
~Bryan
72 gts h-code (formal roof)
67falcon
04 f250 ''the great white''
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 2:13PM
haven't you ever had a ford that the headlights go out on it and flicker back on? it's the switch! they have an internal breaker, looks like a giant set of points
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 2:15PM
I forget who somebody made some custom plug/play relay harnesses for the Crown Vics, my reason on that car is to coax every volt I can get to the lights. the whole factory headlight switch circuit eats up a couple volts, you can see the difference relays vs stock wires
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 2:17PM
I had four Cibie lights in my 72 Gran Torino, and the stock alternator and wiring didn't like them. I ended up with a rebuilt to 80 amp alternator, and a big solenoid(like a starter solenoid) on the inner fender. It was very bright with four 100 watt bulbs. Two were 55/100's, and two were 100's. I have those lights still, back in the boxes. They were expensive and I also used plastic covers, tough to install and got dull quickly without regular cleaning.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 4:00PM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

I had four Cibie lights in my 72 Gran Torino, and the stock alternator and wiring didn't like them. I ended up with a rebuilt to 80 amp alternator, and a big solenoid(like a starter solenoid) on the inner fender. It was very bright with four 100 watt bulbs. Two were 55/100's, and two were 100's. I have those lights still, back in the boxes. They were expensive and I also used plastic covers, tough to install and got dull quickly without regular cleaning.

I love the classic rally Cibie lights.

Go for it!
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 4:57PM
Thumbs Up i have 5 rally 100w 6" lights on my blazer (with 2 of those continuous duty solenoids to power them) BTW nobody attempts to play the "bright light game" with those bad boys!!!Evil Smile 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2014 at 12:23AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

it's the headlight switch that'll not be happy, use a relay each for the low & high beams

Check these out on E-BAY...
Both 2-light and 4-light, also made for the different style headlights(connectors)
I am NOT wasting my time building one myself when for $30 I can buy an entire new set up!!

here is the replacement for our 4 light system...

and one for a 2 light system...

Edited by Regul8r - 22-November-2014 at 12:26AM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2014 at 12:32AM
I also have been looking for the past hour+ this morning and also found those in Hong Kong.
I ended up getting this kit (just ordered 5 minutes ago).

I have the flickering light problem. I think this should take care of it.
Looks like it connects fairly easy.

Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2014 at 2:44AM
The kits are a time/aggravation saver for sure. I had some time/parts and fabbed a harness myself, using 14ga wiring and 30/40 amp Bosch relays. Another positive (IMO) upgrade to the lighting system I had done was installing glass light housings (and not the "projector" or "Halo" style, they look factory but the light output is brighter/crisper) that allow for just a bulb replacement (H4 low/high and H1 high beams) instead of changing the entire assembly, also makes it easier to "upgrade" to HID/LED replacement bulbs. I purchased Autopal housings,
AUTOPAL 165mm H4651 H1 High Beam Euro Conversion Headlights - Click Image to Close

probably not the best, but light output is definitely improved over the fairly new (> 6 months old)Sylvania Halogens I had and the price was significantly more affordable than Cibie's or Hella's. Good luck with your choices. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2014 at 2:50AM
I used to use the replacement bulbs for hand-held spot lights in the high beam buckets

what's couple million CP between friends? 
72 GT Ute

fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2014 at 2:43AM
I did it this spring. need two relays and a junction box or what ever its called. a quart low sent me dig etc to do it. Only trick is hiding the wires.I now wonder if this is why my switch fried on way to Ky. Lights are great. I used seal beam hal not the replacement bulb type.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2014 at 5:54AM
i just ordered the harness kit that scott did! yeah it's $10 more than the one carl posted but it's in stock in calif. be here in 2 days not from hong kong upto 28 days, i want to get this damn wiring done! BTW it's from the same company as the link jeff posted
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2014 at 6:02AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

i just ordered the harness kit that scott did! yeah it's $10 more than the one carl posted but it's in stock in calif. be here in 2 days not from hong kong upto 28 days, i want to get this damn wiring done! BTW it's from the same company as the link jeff posted

AWESOME!!
I just posted a quick link I found on E-Bay to show what was out there.
But YUP, prefer to buy American and have it quickly...
GREAT SET UP...

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2014 at 6:27AM
The ceramic bulb connectors are the biggest upgrade component. I plan to add those to my wiring, most of my cars are unique enough that aftermarket companies don't make plug/n/play harness like the links show.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2014 at 11:22AM
I chose not to use a kit because aquartlow rec heaver wire than the kits listed.I went with his spec and made my own harness.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2014 at 1:13PM
i think that kit will work fine , due to:
1) individual grounds at each light (not one for each side,two head lights plus the markers and turn sig.)

2)even if the power wire ga. is the same as stock, it's closer to the lights and power source (not having to go through the switch and back to the lights, then jump across to the other side)

3) there are separate relays for each set of lights, thus reducing the load to the lights (two per relay, not all four through the weak switch)

that's my theory anyway i'm not a big fan of relays, adding more complication into a simple system, but in a case such as heavier lighting and or weak designed switch, i think the addition of relays can be beneficial!

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2014 at 3:12PM
I suggest thinking about incorporating the OEM Ford relays where possible, for cost and ease of troubleshooting later. I prefer the mid 90's relays, which come in two sizes(small size is equal in reliability to the large size).

Don't ever use any of the late 80's Ford relays, those Fox chassis relays are all unique, Ford added material on their exterior so that they cannot be swapped with other relays in the vehicle. I'm looking forward to losing all of those from my 91 Lincoln.
Don
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 12:30AM
Originally posted by fordpower fordpower wrote:

I chose not to use a kit because aquartlow rec heaver wire than the kits listed.I went with his spec and made my own harness.

Fordpower,
 Hope my recommendations didn't cause any undue work and work as expected with zero problems/issues, quite a few of the "online" relay harnesses only use 18ga or 16ga wiring for the load side of the relay but use "HD" 40 amp relays Confused. They may never give a problem but I like to "over-engineer" almost anything that deals with wiring/cabling to avoid a "sitting on the side of the road" situation. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 2:26AM
No problems at all. I enjoyed making the harness. Hiding the relays etc.You were outstanding with your help.I now have a 79 ranchero .
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 6:04AM
Ok, I've read through all this and will be doing my 72 soon.  Can someone give me the 3 sentence recommendation as far as kits and lights?

Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
GranTorinslo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinslo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2014 at 3:53PM
Glad to see a topic on this...been planning it for a while, got the bulb housings but not the relays. Ran into other electrical gremlins and put it on the back burner. Took another look recently, just be prepared to spend a little time getting the bulb housings to fit.

Basically I stopped now because the headlight 'cups' need the hole at the rear opened up to accomodate the H4/9006 bulb housings. Might not be as bad on later years, or depending on the bulb housing manufacturer. They almost fit the 73, but needed a lot of cutting on the 72 cups. Make sure not to misplace the springs (if applicable) for the adjusters when you pull the cups for modification.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2014 at 5:58PM
i used the relay kit from octane lighting (in the first link jeff posted) since i'm using 9007 bulbs they have an adapter pigtail for them, i hardwired it all together  but if you got their bulbs and their relay kit, it would be plug and play-- you would only need to connect the red power supply wire. but yes you may need to enlarge the hole in the rear of each headlight bucket slightly, mine were close, so all i did was grind off the little finger grooves on the plastic bulb retainers for the 9007 ones i'm using plenty of clearance then. and the crystal bulbs i used are low/high for all four, i had to make a notch in the two high beam buckets to fit the low/high bulb (or use two extra low beam buckets instead) other than those few minor mods, pretty easy upgrade
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply