The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1972 Performance carpet mat insert - worth saving?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Performance carpet mat insert - worth saving?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Performance carpet mat insert - worth saving?
    Posted: 24-November-2014 at 3:13AM
I am almost done with the scrapping of my Formal GTS Q Code. The carpet is completely rotten and the sewn-in mat inserts are split and in poor shape. Any reason to save them? If not, away they go.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 5:37AM
There is a company that sells the new carpet for that car/model, with two brand new vinyl inserts installed in it. To see it for sale Click Here.

They also sell that same new carpet for that same car without the vinyl inserts for $50.00 less. To see it for sale Click Here. 

Maybe they will sell just the two vinyl inserts to you seperately (without the carpet), if you need them? I have heard of people saving the good used vinyl inserts, but those vinyl inserts were in good/decent condition.

Edited by dave302 - 26-November-2014 at 11:21AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 5:39AM
There is a picture of one of their carpets below.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 7:46AM
Fair enough. No need to keep them, then. Thanks.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 9:58AM
I do love the look of those inserts, versus plain and small wear pads of normal rugs.

But it's been 25+ years since I drove my 72 Gran Torino with them. Do many people also try to use a floor mat with those? I wonder if a typical rug floor mat would stay in place laying on the large vinyl surface. Would it slide around, or forward or back at all?

I'll have to think about that a bit, and ask Scott how he's doing with his 72 Montego which has them.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 10:05AM
I never bothered with floor mats in mine.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 10:07AM
Mine are not nice enough for mats. Besides, the shredded carpet adequately cleans my shoes.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2014 at 12:10PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Fair enough. No need to keep them, then. Thanks.
Your welcome.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2014 at 8:51AM

Mine are not nice enough for mats. Besides, the shredded carpet adequately cleans my shoes.

That's good, I can see that, wiping the shoes on the edge of the rug.LOL
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2014 at 8:53AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

I never bothered with floor mats in mine.

I think that's what my family did with ours, I just can't remember there being any floor mats. I wanted to save the inserts from mine when I swapped interiors between my cars, but decided I didn't have the storage space to save them then.
Don
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2014 at 10:41AM
HAVE A SET I SAVED, STILL SITTING ON THE SHELF.
Mike
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2014 at 2:36PM
Originally posted by mcford mcford wrote:

Hey Mike, that's the right color too isn't it?

I'm glad that the rugs are still available.

Edited by 72 RS 351 - 25-November-2014 at 2:39PM
Don
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2014 at 11:05PM
That's a pic Dave posted of the carpet I installed. I plan on using regular mats over the built-in mats. Only to keep the built-in mats nice as possible. Once those built-ins are scuffed up, not much you can do.
I think the regular mats will be bigger than the buitt-ins so they should stay in place. We'll see.

I'll remove the second set of mats at shows.
Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2014 at 2:44AM

LOL at least you have some carpet left in yours, my car didn't have any, just huge rust holes Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2014 at 11:25AM
I've got Miniature-golf-course green with what look like bleach burns, and sun-fade on one side Thumbs Down
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2014 at 4:06AM
Originally posted by Montego01 Montego01 wrote:

That's a pic Dave posted of the carpet I installed. I plan on using regular mats over the built-in mats. Only to keep the built-in mats nice as possible. Once those built-ins are scuffed up, not much you can do.
I think the regular mats will be bigger than the buitt-ins so they should stay in place. We'll see.

I'll remove the second set of mats at shows.

Thanks Scott, I look forward to hearing how you do with large floor mats. That's what I had in mind to do, to save the rugs and the inserts for the long term. My car was the family car, it went to Germany, through to Italy and back, so I have some parts I kept for my Ranchero as I could(dash/console/seats). I hope to find old pics of the 72 GT being washed in Venicia by hand(it wouldn't fit in their narrow car wash).
Don
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2014 at 4:34AM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

Hey Mike, that's the right color too isn't it?

I'm glad that the rugs are still available.

Yes, it looks like it.
Mike
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2014 at 4:35AM
Curious, are the inserts in the new carpet actually sewn in?  and no carpet under them?
Mike
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2014 at 6:59AM

Curious, are the inserts in the new carpet actually sewn in?  and no carpet under them?
I am not near a 1972 performance carpet right now to look at it, but I do believe that the vinyl inserts are sewn in. And yes, I do believe that there is carpet underneath them.

I am almost done with the scrapping of my Formal GTS Q Code. The carpet is completely rotten and the sewn-in mat inserts are split and in poor shape. Any reason to save them? If not, away they go.
Hi Joe, I was assuming that you had at least one other set of the sewn-in mat inserts as a spare set. But if this is the only spare set that you have, then i would recommend that you save them, because there are a few companies that specialize in vinyl mat reproductions and you might be able to send them your used mat inserts, in order for them to duplicate them for you. 

Just in case the possibility should arise that no other company will sell just the mat inserts (without the carpet) to you.

Edited by dave302 - 27-November-2014 at 7:00AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2014 at 1:15PM

Thanks Scott, I look forward to hearing how you do with large floor mats. That's what I had in mind to do, to save the rugs and the inserts for the long term. My car was the family car, it went to Germany, through to Italy and back, so I have some parts I kept for my Ranchero as I could(dash/console/seats). I hope to find old pics of the 72 GT being washed in Venicia by hand(it wouldn't fit in their narrow car wash).

My car has had floor mats over the inserts from day one.  The current floor mats have carpet on the upper side, rubber on the lower side and they stay in place just fine.  The inserts look almost like new, but the loop in the carpet has broken down in some areas over the years giving it a "fuzzy" look.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2014 at 6:38AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

I am not near a 1972 performance carpet right now to look at it, but I do believe that the vinyl inserts are sewn in. And yes, I do believe that there is carpet underneath them.

Hi Joe, I was assuming that you had at least one other set of the sewn-in mat inserts as a spare set. But if this is the only spare set that you have, then i would recommend that you save them, because there are a few companies that specialize in vinyl mat reproductions and you might be able to send them your used mat inserts, in order for them to duplicate them for you. 

Just in case the possibility should arise that no other company will sell just the mat inserts (without the carpet) to you.

I meant on the reproduction carpet.  the originals are sewn in and there is not any carpet underneath the mats. 
Mike
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2014 at 7:17AM

Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

I meant on the reproduction carpet.  the originals are sewn in and there is not any carpet underneath the mats. 
Since the original carpet has no carpet underneath the inserts/mats, I would doubt that the reproduction carpet has any carpet underneath the inserts/mats.
The best way for you to find out for sure would be for you to contact them...
There phone number is: 9 Three 7- 3 Seven 2- 1 Five 2 One
To send an email to them Click Here.
There Store Hours are: Monday Through Friday 9AM To 5PM (Eastern Standard Time).

Edited by dave302 - 28-November-2014 at 9:37AM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2014 at 7:56AM
i'll let you know if there is or not, in a week or two, i just ordered my carpet from them
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2014 at 3:07PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

My car has had floor mats over the inserts from day one.  The current floor mats have carpet on the upper side, rubber on the lower side and they stay in place just fine.  The inserts look almost like new, but the loop in the carpet has broken down in some areas over the years giving it a "fuzzy" look.

Thanks Vince, I'll ask about your floor mats when I get closer to needing them. Hopefully by Spring I can get to start on mine.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2014 at 10:07AM
Well dang. I tossed them in the car before I took it to scrap.

Sigh...
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply