The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'72 Montego front clip on a 77-79 Tbird

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '72 Montego front clip on a 77-79 Tbird
    Posted: 03-December-2014 at 6:09AM
Some of you may know that I've got almost three complete '72 Montego front clips, that were part of the parts stash I brought home from Minneapolis.  I've been thinking of ways that I might be able to use these parts.  I've read the threads, and indications are that it will work.  But, I wanted to get specific, so I can be 100% sure.  I've been staring at pics, comparing the body and door lines.  It looks like everything will line up.

Will '72 Montego fenders match up to the doorlines of a '77-'79 TBird?

I've attached a couple of pics.  Sorry for the lowrider pic, it was the only pic I could find without the standard trim pieces, which makes it hard to tell.  And, I couldn't find a good side shot of a '72 Montego, so I went with what I could find.

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2014 at 6:24AM
Both cars look pretty good. Would you be taking care of the T-birds rear "park bench" bumper because the 72's is thinner? 
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2014 at 6:50AM
Originally posted by GTW GTW wrote:

Both cars look pretty good. Would you be taking care of the T-birds rear "park bench" bumper because the 72's is thinner? 

Heck no!  Gotta have a place to sit, at car shows.  Big smile

Yeah, would definitely be tucking the rear bumper.  And removing bumper guards, if there were any.  Or maybe making a smaller bumper work, from a different year/model car.

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2014 at 10:21AM
PLEASE do this!!! It will look awesome!!!
Fenders should line up, based on Dan the Ranchero man's trucklet. Front frame horns for 72 will be different, but do-able.
GTW wrote: "Would you be taking care of the T-birds rear "park bench" bumper because the 72's is thinner?" That "park bench" is the same bumper that the 74-76 cars use, so one without the rubber strips or guards will fit. Dodge van bumpers are slightly narrower, and could be modified/have mounts made that will pull it in close and sit more like a rollpan in a pickup (been doing measurements, etc. for the same type of swap.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2014 at 1:01PM
I believe Dan the Ranchero Man, is the one to talk with. IIRC, He transformed a 77-79 Ranchero(uses same door skin as 77-79 T-bird) by using a '73 Montego GT front sheet metal and it looks AWESOME!! Here you go

Edited by aquartlow - 03-December-2014 at 1:02PM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2014 at 3:29AM
Thanks guys.  Sounds like it will work.  I've got '72 frame horns, so I've got pretty much everything I'll need.  Although I'm not sure about the hood latch area.  I'll use my '73 MGT hood.  Will that work with the T-Bird hood latch?
I'm now on the look-out for a T-top T-bird for this swap (my wife is gonna kill me!).
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2014 at 11:37AM
Dan and others told me the MGT hood is a bolt-on for the T-bird, only the center peak detail is different.
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2014 at 2:00PM
I recently grabbed the tail lights and center panel from a '78 Cougar, like the one pictured below.  Wonder if I can make them work on a T-Bird?  It would probably require a trunk swap as well.   Hmmmmmm

Edited by n2fordwagons - 04-December-2014 at 2:03PM
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2014 at 2:21PM
  This build is starting to sound like this Johnny Cash song:
Wink Still sounds like a great build though.

Edited by aquartlow - 04-December-2014 at 2:22PM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2014 at 2:23PM
You would need the taillight harness for the new lights, and you would want the metal inner panel for the Cougar as latch is placed differently. As for the quarters, you would have some holes to drill, but the taillights/quarter extension shape  will fit. trunk will need to change. T-bird uses unique rear window with a crease down the center and a slight "V" shape, so trunk MAY be a problem. BTW, base Cougar (non-XR-7) taillamps/trunk is the same/substantially the same as LTD ll. Looked at doing the reverse swap to a LTD ll to make a 4 door T-bird (with buckets, Console, etc.) with a friend a few years ago.

Edited by Big Bird - 04-December-2014 at 2:26PM
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2014 at 2:24PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

This build is starting to sound like this Johnny Cash song:
Wink Still sounds like a great build though.

LOL  Haha.  My wife has told me before that that song makes her think of me!

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2014 at 2:36PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

You would need the taillight harness for the new lights, and you would want the metal inner panel for the Cougar as latch is placed differently. As for the quarters, you would have some holes to drill, but the taillights/quarter extension shape  will fit. trunk will need to change. T-bird uses unique rear window with a crease down the center and a slight "V" shape, so trunk MAY be a problem. BTW, base Cougar (non-XR-7) taillamps/trunk is the same/substantially the same as LTD ll. Looked at doing the reverse swap to a LTD ll to make a 4 door T-bird (with buckets, Console, etc.) with a friend a few years ago.

Awesome info.  I had grabbed the taillight harness.  I was actually thinking of making wall art out of the center panel, and lighting it up.  Still will, if I can't use it. 

Assuming that inner panel will have to be sawzalled (Joe'd)?  And that it doesn't bolt in?  I don't remember.  I'll have the opportunity to go back by that Pull A Part tomorrow, so I might try to grab it.  Since the trunk in the Pull A Part is for a 4 door, it would probably be too short.  Looks like I need to study some more pics to see if it will work.  No need to waste my time if the trunk shape won't work.

Thanks!!
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2014 at 2:51PM
The tail panel is welded in, so it would need to be cut out of the donor and the panel cut out of the t-bird and new one welded in. I THINK the 2-door and 4 door use the same trunklid... As far as the rear window/trunk shape, I would find both in j-yards and compare them. (never got that far)
Randy
1979 T-Bird
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2014 at 5:12PM
what!!! i like the low rider! (just totally tuck them bumpers, and it would be bad a$$)WinkThumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2014 at 11:36PM
There is a pair of 77-79 thunderbird T-Tops for sale right now.

Edited by dave302 - 04-December-2014 at 11:38PM
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2014 at 2:00AM
The only song I remind everyone of is the theme from Sanford and Son.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2014 at 2:56AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

The only song I remind everyone of is the theme from Sanford and Son.
Thumbs Up LOLLOLLOL Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2014 at 6:46AM
Big Bird. What year model Dodge van??
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2014 at 9:03AM
The fullsize big dodge vans have a chrome rear bumper (NOT the step-bumpers though!!!) that are similar in size and are meant to tuck tight to the van body

Game plan was to use a bumper like this, trim where needed and paint argent. It already has a license plate cut-out and the shape of the ends is close to the shape of the car body. With the filler pieces removed, the bumper could be mounted tight to, or even slightly under the taillight panel edge.

Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2014 at 2:23PM
Reason I ask. I saw a 77 dodge van at pull a part today.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2014 at 6:20AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

I believe Dan the Ranchero Man, is the one to talk with. IIRC, He transformed a 77-79 Ranchero(uses same door skin as 77-79 T-bird) by using a '73 Montego GT front sheet metal and it looks AWESOME!!

Gotta question related to this.  I realize the 77-79 Thunderbird door skins are the same as the 77-79 Ranchero.  How about the rest of the door structure?  Would I be able to remove the internals, windows, door panels, etc from a T-Bird door and swap them over to a Ranchero door?
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2014 at 8:58AM
You can take the Thunderbird door and put it on the Ranchero. It is the same door skin, the same door frame , and the same window. the only thing that may be different is the interior panel, and that depends on the Ranchero's options.
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2014 at 9:13AM
Awesome. I've located a Thunderbird but it's a bit rusty including the doors. I've got Ranchero doors I can use. Now to decide if I wanna deal with the rest of the rust issues. Or keep looking. Thanks
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2014 at 11:25AM
yup the doors on the 77-79 cars are the same.
Just as the 72-76 stuff is too

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply