The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiator to hood seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudy52397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator to hood seal
    Posted: 11-December-2014 at 7:23PM
Under the hood in front of the radiator a seal is supposed to go on the front top of the frame, it's a few feet and is held on by little clips. Ours is missing, and one from dearborn classics is $14.95, I was wondering what the radiator to hood seal was for, if you need it, and if anyone else has theirs still or a new one. Any help would be great
-Rudy
1973 Gran Torino, 2 door hardtop, 302, original Ivy glow paint
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2014 at 2:05AM
I still have all of mine. It was meant to seal the top area between the core support and the radiator. Believe it or not, it does help a bit. They are held in place by small round-headed black plastic push tabs.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2014 at 2:31AM
Rudy, It's just a flat piece of rigid, heavy material almost like a really thick piece of roofing felt. I'll try and get a picture of my NOS piece to give you an idea what it looks like.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2014 at 3:14AM
Originally posted by rudy52397 rudy52397 wrote:

Under the hood in front of the radiator a seal is supposed to go on the front top of the frame, it's a few feet and is held on by little clips. Ours is missing, and one from dearborn classics is $14.95, I was wondering what the radiator to hood seal was for, if you need it, and if anyone else has theirs still or a new one. Any help would be great

Rudy, do you mind adding the link from Dearborn Classics? I looked for it, but couldn't find it. Mine is missing and would like to get one. Thanks!
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
rudy52397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudy52397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2014 at 3:22AM
http://www.dearbornclassics.com/72-79-ranchero-torino-radiator-support-to-hood-seal.html
-Rudy
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2014 at 7:02AM
Thanks just ordered one. I'll let ya know the quality of it when it arrives.
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

rudy52397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudy52397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2014 at 12:07PM
Thanks for the help, and that would be great. Let me know when you get it, I may order one too 
-Rudy
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2014 at 12:38PM
Here's what the seal looks like....

Really a very simple piece, the trick might be finding the correct material it's made from. It's really like a VERY THICK building/roofing felt.

Hope it's helpful...

Edited by TV 2M8O - 12-December-2014 at 12:39PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2014 at 1:59PM
^^^ really?? my original one was only half that long! LOLLOLLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2014 at 11:25AM

Ok here ya go Guys. It arrived today and on it went. As far as quality I like it. It's not original like described above being a thick piece of heavy roofing-like material, but rather a semi-thick softer rubber material. The cut is dead on and everything matched up GREAT!

I would 100% recommend it! Wink   

Only thing is Eckler's charges $7.99 for shipping and handling. I ordered a new 400 V-8 engine label and this piece, which I thought was a little much, but then again I'm thrifty. LOL! LOL

rudy52397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudy52397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2014 at 2:17PM
Do you think it'll increase a little power since the seal prevents the air from traveling over the radiator into the engine? It looks really good, and I'll probably get one too. Just started ours up today and can't wait to take it out in the spring.
-Rudy
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2014 at 4:02PM
Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

Ok here ya go Guys. It arrived today and on it went. As far as quality I like it. It's not original like described above being a thick piece of heavy roofing-like material, but rather a semi-thick softer rubber material. The cut is dead on and everything matched up GREAT!

Only thing is Eckler's charges $7.99 for shipping and handling. I ordered a new 400 V-8 engine label and this piece, which I thought was a little much, but then again I'm thrifty. LOL! LOL
The one on my car is faced the other way, going between the radiator support and the radiator. IDK which way is correct. Mine was like that when I got the car.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2014 at 5:25AM
Originally posted by rudy52397 rudy52397 wrote:

Do you think it'll increase a little power since the seal prevents the air from traveling over the radiator into the engine? It looks really good, and I'll probably get one too. Just started ours up today and can't wait to take it out in the spring.

I'm not sure about increased horsepower, but I'm hoping it'll help direct the air through the radiator to help cool it down some. During the hot summer it tends to run warm.

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2014 at 5:26AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

The one on my car is faced the other way, going between the radiator support and the radiator. IDK which way is correct. Mine was like that when I got the car.

I hope I installed it correctly.....Dead It looks like it would just fit over the core support the other way.

Edited by gpd294 - 20-December-2014 at 5:28AM

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2014 at 6:10AM
that's the way mine was, well half that was left anyway LOL i noticed the bolt in the pic by the edge of the seal on the inside of the header panel, so there's supposed to be a brace there down to the bottom of the core support??? i was wondering what that bolt hole in the edge of the header panel was for! i have only one bolt tab left, one side was cut off flush Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
rudy52397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudy52397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2014 at 1:04PM
Here's a 1973 Torino that sold at Barrett Jackson in 2011, You can see what looks to be the original seal still on it so i'm pretty sure it is installed like that. The one from Dearborn looks like it'll last too.Thumbs Up           
-Rudy
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2014 at 1:46PM
I wonder if the later cars are different, or if someone installed the one on my thunderbird incorrectly sometime before I got it. Mine faces backward and sorta covers the gap between the support and the radiator, I had the car 12 years and never questioned it until I saw these pix. LOL
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2014 at 3:22PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

I wonder if the later cars are different, or if someone installed the one on my thunderbird incorrectly sometime before I got it. Mine faces backward and sorta covers the gap between the support and the radiator, I had the car 12 years and never questioned it until I saw these pix. LOL

Can ya post a photo so we can see what ya mean??? Mine seemed to line up well with the pre-cut holes and cut outs for radiator supports...????

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2014 at 5:45AM

My 76 had two deflectors/seals installed.... the flat one like we have pictured above and a horseshoe shaped one that installed to the front of the radiator along the top edge of the radiator frame "sealing" it against the condenser or core support... I don't remember now, I'll have to dig thru my disassembly pics to refresh my memory.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
aussie_dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2015 at 5:16PM
Great description, l am up to this stage now, l have my Core Support to Hood seal .... BUT .... l do not have one hole in which to install it in my Feb 1972 Ranchero.Ermm
David.
David Dare
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2015 at 5:29PM
lay the seal out onto the support like in carlos' pic and mark the holes then drill the correct size holes
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply