The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1971 351 aluminum Boss Intake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971 351 aluminum Boss Intake
    Posted: 12-January-2015 at 7:24AM
Can you tell be the advantages or disadvantage of a 1971 351 Boss Intake D1ZX9425 CA that has EGR slots and one does not?
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2015 at 1:27PM
What do you mean by egr slots?  you mean the exhaust crossover?
Mike
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2015 at 1:37PM

you can click on each pic for info

some have a 'worm track' around the side of the carb pad, some don't

of those that do, some are drilled & some are not
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2015 at 1:40PM
more pics of intakes, some with EGR

72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2015 at 3:10AM
Pick them for originality or OEM look etc, but don't pick either for performance.

Any single plane intake will be much better than any dual plane for a Cleveland, with the proper cam/compression/springs etc(matched set). Stock Clevelands were compromised by the old camshaft technology and the need for low street rpm. Build it for a good 6500rpm or so, and done right(matched parts and no pedestal rockers), a single plane intake will seriously wake up a Cleveland.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2015 at 12:53PM
I appreciate your answers, but what I looking for is what the is the difference in performance with EGR slots and not. Not necessary what they look like. Maybe it does not really make any difference?

Don,why is the single plane so much better than the dual plan.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2015 at 6:53AM
The two dual planes will have the same performance, choose one of those based on the need for that EGR, or the weight. If one is a Boss intake, I'd try to sell it to the right buyer that'd appreciate it for their car.

The single plane is best for a well thought out high performance combo, stick with a dual plane unless you do get serious with the right head work, compression, exhaust etc, and a custom cam specifically made for the whole thing(and the car, gearing, weight). Only that fully match set of higher flow parts will take advantage of the single plane, anything less ends up a disappointment.

Let your budget decide the level of engine to build. Price the machine work and every must have item for any level of build, and see what that is before considering the higher level of parts etc.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2015 at 7:01AM
I would have to disagree, the blue thunder dual plane is the cats ass and is the best of both worlds.
also, a boss 351 intake will not have egr passages.  and the onl;y difference between the boss 351 factory intake and the 351 cobra jet factory intake is that the boss is aluminum and the cobra jet is cast iron.  and argument COULD be made for the egr intake with the egr spacer on it and the egr port blocked off making better performance than the standard 351cj intake with no egr. a dyno test on that would be interesting.  I use the mr gasket intake gaskets that block off the exhaust crossover anyways.
Mike
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2015 at 7:03AM
the  intake on the right would be the factory part, the one on the left would be over the counter ford "total performance" racing part.
Mike
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2015 at 7:23AM
The OP question was about two particular OEM Cleveland intakes from the 70-74 era.

There are far better dual planes available, no doubt. But the budget and the end goals, rpms, and every factor of a combo, they decide whether a single plane can be used well. If the parts are right, as I described, they will kill a dual plane Cleveland. You cannot do it half assed, mix and match some good high end stuff with off the shelf cams, etc, and expect great results. It has to be done properly, every single parts choice, assembly etc, plus the perfect custom cam.

That's why there are countless stories of single plane engines being dogs, they simply were not built(designed) right.

Edited by 72 RS 351 - 14-January-2015 at 7:24AM
Don
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2015 at 3:14PM
Are you sure there are no EGR on bosses? I though I saw pictures of it. But I am no expert
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2015 at 3:44PM
Lets take the budget out of the equation. Keeping in mind I don't want an engine all you do is race to the gas station. I looking for a drivable car with around 425-450HP.

It is for a 74 torino

I have a 1972 351C COBRAJET 4 BOLT MAIN SHORT BLOCK D2AE-GA 1K29

I have a 1971 351C FORD CLEVELAND 4V 351 closed chamber D1AE GA hi-po

I also have a Boss 351 Dual plane Cleveland Factory Aluminum Intake with Buddy Bar D1ZX-9425-CA

(As our conversation started this has a egr)so I was wondering what effect this had. Previously I asked about what "GA" stood for and no really knows.)

I have not picked the guts of the engine yet. so if I pick the right inside It will be okay?

What would you suggest???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2015 at 2:17PM
Originally posted by zjosh zjosh wrote:

Can you tell be the advantages or disadvantage of a 1971 351 Boss Intake D1ZX9425 CA that has EGR slots and one does not?

advantage is that you could run the EGR functional if you wanted too, or sell it to someone that does

dis-advantage is that the slot could create the possibility of a vacuum leak under the carb over time should the gasket deteriorate  fail

I don't see the EGR supported manifold having a dis-advantage the non EGR manifold performance-wise on that point alone, but notice in the facebook link I posted up above that the carb pads of various intakes are located differently. this could have some effect on performance, but still your power level goal should be attainable like you said with the 'right guts'

you know that D1ZX intake carries about enough value for you to buy both it's equal in the Bluethunder and a Torker single plane?
72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2015 at 2:59PM
Originally posted by zjosh zjosh wrote:

Lets take the budget out of the equation. Keeping in mind I don't want an engine all you do is race to the gas station. I looking for a drivable car with around 425-450HP.

I've got mine at the machine shop right now and have a similar target. From what I've read so far you can get into that range with little more than a cam swap.

Here's a link to a supercharged build up that they tested before adding the supercharger. 447 hp at 6,400 rpm and 411 lb-ft of torque at 5,200 rpm.

My two cents? If you have a Boss intake, go with it just because you have one. Thumbs Up 

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2015 at 3:10PM
I just remembered I have a D1ZX too Thumbs Up

D1ZX-9425-FA

72 GT Ute

zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2015 at 1:35AM
Great feedback... thanks
bossmanbob71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bossmanbob71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2016 at 12:05PM
Hi,are you interested in selling the D1zx-da ?
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2018 at 4:32PM
thats not a egr passage, its the de-icer passage, was used on the other pre 73 4v non egr intakes as well. only 73/74 got the egr intakes.
 Post Reply Post Reply