The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tko 500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadeezra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tko 500
    Posted: 30-January-2015 at 9:39PM
Okay ran across a smoking deal on a tko who's done tgis in a 72-76 torino? What does it entail 
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2015 at 4:50PM
start with basics clutch pedals linkage bell housing.
What motor?
Flywheel, exhaust headers that fit. Driveshaft is ok to reuse assuming you have a factory four speed.
Clutch kit, etc.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
jadeezra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadeezra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2015 at 5:24PM
400 I have a feeling it may be a pain in da butt

Edited by jadeezra - 01-February-2015 at 5:25PM
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 7:15AM
It can be done but you need to know what engine that transmission was set up for originally.
In the case of the 400 you need to source a flywheel the engine block off plate that goes between the engine and behind the flywheel. Installs before you bolt on the flywheel.

Fordmuscle.com had started a series on installing a t5 behind a 400 but it was never completed but there are good reference details that can help.

As other guys have said you can adapt late model mustang clutch pedals to work with the stock hanger. It's just that you need to be able to fabricate it's not a bolt in procedure.
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 8:11AM
Should you decide to abandon the idea, give me a price on the tranny.
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 8:58AM
Also keep in mind on the tko if a Cleveland you need to swap input shafts to a short shaft.
Myself because how I drive I'd spend the money for the pads on the forks to be changed out from stock material.
If you drive like a grandma stock is fine...but if it was like my family were shifting a 5k lol

Psquare75 had great luck with a tko for his 429 in his f series. The shop was good the guy knows his Ford stuff.
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 9:21AM
I have the block plate, bellhousing, and adapter to fit tko on a 400. that i wont be using.
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
 Post Reply Post Reply