The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hard to find part

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hard to find part
    Posted: 02-February-2015 at 5:21PM
Hi, my name is john, i have a 1974 grand torino and a 1972 torino  both have cracked plastic lower dash assembly was trying to find one, or a way to fix them?Confused
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2015 at 12:13PM
The lower dash is actually the WHOLE dash.
You can plastic weld it, melt it with a soldering iron, epoxy and sand etc...
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2015 at 1:36PM
Yup, that all includes the radio/HVAC surround too. 
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2015 at 2:19PM
welcome! yes it's the whole dash unit, i used some ABS pipe glue to fix two small cracks in my 74 then sanded and painted it worked ok so far! are you in rogue river oregon? post some pics of your cars!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2015 at 10:48PM
plastic pipe glue sounds like a good option.have not tryed fixing mine yet but its full of cracks .darn 40 year old plastic .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2015 at 1:19AM
When I re-finished my dash(s), I had a crack in each that went from the bottom up to the first corner of the lower dash that faces the driver(near A/C controls). I mixed some 2 part marine epoxy, cut a piece of metal strapping that comes with most aftermarket radios(also has holes in it to help bond the strap to the dash by "keying" the strap when the epoxy fills the voids in the strap). I sanded the area that the strap would attach to with 80 grit to allow the 2 part epoxy to "bite" into the dash material and cleaned area with alcohol. I then applied the epoxy to the area but left about 3/4" from each end of the strap epoxy free, in this area I applied hot glue to the dash and instantly set the strap in place. The hot glue/metal strap will hold the cracked area together/level until the epoxy sets (24hr+). If any epoxy works it's way out of the crack on the face side, wipe off immediately. I did this to 3 different dashes, one installed and the others as "back-ups" and the cracks haven't returned. Hope this helps. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2015 at 4:39AM
It is kinda hard to find a good one without cracks especially here in AZ due to the sun rotting. I had to get mine from California, mine was way past the point of repair. You should try the junkyard and try to find a cougar or thunderbird.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2015 at 10:28AM
Mine has metal mesh epoxied to the back with JB Weld, and the cracks Veed and filled with more JB Weld
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply