The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor top terminals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor top terminals
    Posted: 13-February-2015 at 2:16AM
Guys anyone know if a small cap with male terminals for a duraspark dizzy 1976 model year?
I need to replace spark plug wires and I'm finding the ford racing plug wires are for a male terminal not a female.

Also has anyone used a late model coil with a duraspark in our cars? I read a few places the late model 5.0/5.8 coil packs more punch over the older canister type. Can't imagine it's hard to swap.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2015 at 7:56AM
on the cap, there is not.  everything uses that cap adapt and the large cap.
Mike
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2015 at 8:03AM
Insert whiny rant *REALLY??!*
I was afraid of that.
Any suggestions for a decent set of wires for the street?
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2015 at 9:01AM
Summit Racing makes a set of wires that will fit your engine. They are available in blue and are spiral wound, just like the ford racing wires are. They have 45 degree grey spark plug boots and black distributor boots.

These 8mm wires feature high-temperature silicone outer jackets and insulation, along with a fiberglass braid for more pull strength. These wires are available in custom-fit or universal sets. The custom-fit sets have both terminal ends installed, while the universal sets have the spark plug boots installed and come with the distributor boot terminals and a stripping tool.

They advertise that this "custom fit" wire set will fit the 1972 ford 400 Modified engines and other Ford, G.M. and A.M.C. V8 Engines.

To see them for sale Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 17-February-2015 at 1:57AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2015 at 11:30AM
Moroso also makes a set of Blue Max custom fit wires for your engine. They have Straight blue spark plug boots and black distributor boots.

Moroso's 8mm Blue Max Spiral Core ignition wire sets have a special strategically-wound 304 stainless steel conductor and Kevlar core that reduces the ohms of resistance per foot, while delivering more spark energy, better EMI suppression, and a higher dielectric strength.

A tough 8mm synthetic silicone jacket resists high temperatures and oils, and the extra-thick EPDM layer adds greater electrical insulation. Compact silicone plug boots provide extra header clearance and feature fold-over crimped terminals for a secure connection. 

Edited by dave302 - 13-February-2015 at 11:31AM
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2015 at 11:43AM
Andy,
I would custom build what you want. I'm not sue you'd be happy with the angle boots for your Cleveland.I have MSD wires for the male terminal cap. the wires are far to long, so I purchased the dist cap side kit, consists of 9 terminal and boots $13.50. I also ordered the crimper MSD 35051 $64 on ebay, comes with dies for crimping the terminal and you can purchase extra dies for  multiple wire terminal styles. or you can buy their $8 vise style crimper. Buy the wires you like and custom tailor the dist ends. Nothing like custom wires, IMO.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2015 at 12:33PM
AL482
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2015 at 1:38PM
i always custom make all my wires, because the sets you buy the wires come in two sizes--too long and way too long! i prefer mallory 8mm copper core, but they are getting less and less choices of color, so i usually go with accel. i wanted red for the torino so i had to go with a spiral core.
 people say the copper core wires will static the radio, but i use resister plugs and never had any static! 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2015 at 2:19PM
To see "Universal Fit" sets of spark plug wires with straight spark plug boots that will fit onto your engine Click here.

If you want to see more "Custom Fit" spark plug wire sets with straight/180 degree boots, for your engine/combination Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 14-February-2015 at 5:48AM
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2015 at 11:40PM
For my Mallory Unilite I was able to buy a male terminal cap conversion and get male to male wires which is so much better. No guessing if the wire in the cap is fully seated.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2015 at 4:54AM
yeah the old school female socket terminal caps can be questionable whether or not the wire is fully down & seated, I usually tweek the prongs of the wire terminal to add a small bit of spring into them and slide the weather boot up on the wire before attempting to plug 'er in

the extra spring should give you a feel of the nubs seating in the cap terminal, then slide the boot back down onto the cap tower while holding the wire in place downward

who's to say the boot is in the correct location from a 3rd world sister slamming boots onto wires all day & shovin'em into a box?

darn right the male tower caps are easier to assemble wires onto Wacko 

we didn't have all this new fangled stuff when I grew up! 

72 GT Ute

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2015 at 8:15PM
John-
I thought about building my wires but I sort of shrug at the idea.With how picky I can be, you figure I would be making my own wires. Good tips thought!!

I ended up getting the cap Rock posted up, along with a set of the Ford racing 9mm wires.
I also ordered a set of Ford OEM motorcraft wires for my F series which are basically the same configuration.
I looked at pictures and frankly I am going to give the 45 degree boots a shot.
Also ordered a new batch of good old #25 autolite plugs. Have not changed plugs on the GTS for a few years and figure Rock auto had them for $0.81 per plug.
I was just going to pop for the moroso blue max wires again but I hate how they tend to look even with cable clamps.
Worse case if the motor sport wires don't work, I'll order up the moroso wires.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2015 at 11:49AM
I have the Moroso Blue Max wires in a box someplace, if they may be what you end up wanting. I'm not positive I didn't ever use the coil wire, but it's new from the 80's otherwise.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2015 at 1:04PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.
Your welcome.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2015 at 4:22PM
Autozone 1600 or 1601 is a universal cut to fit wire set for $18. I did my F100 with Cougar with them. No issues years later. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2015 at 2:41AM
^^Lifetime warranty as well.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2015 at 6:04AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

AL482
I'll have to make a note of this.
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2015 at 11:15AM
yeah that cap is somewhat of an oddball, originally spec'd for AMC IIRC

go figure
72 GT Ute

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2015 at 4:35AM
Got mine. Brass terminals. Looks decent for a cap. Made in Mexico.
Rockauto had these in stock.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2015 at 2:28PM
it works & clips on & everything?
72 GT Ute

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2015 at 8:25PM
Had to file out the notch area for the duraspark distributor, mine has the casting for the advance diaphragm deal, just like how the regular duraspark cap goes on.

Note: 45 degree boots for a windsor don't fit worth a darn. I love these 9mm Ford Racing wires. Just needs straight boots and a few slight adjustments.
Going to have to return them back to Summit Racing however.

I'm beginning to think I need to man up buy plug wires that are trim to length. Always seems like #4 and #8 are an extra mile longer than they need to be.
#5 plug wire ripped the damn metal plug deal out of the boot. Not happy about that.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2015 at 4:48AM
Now that I'm awake and it's not 220am in the garage, as we are on this topic, what tools work best for assembly of wires?
Part#'s, manufacturers etc
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2015 at 2:19PM

Andy, this is the MSD crimper that I purchased. I paid $64.00 on ebay.I have not assembled my wires yet, but from my research, these are the one to get.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2015 at 5:32AM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

Andy, this is the MSD crimper that I purchased. I paid $64.00 on ebay.I have not assembled my wires yet, but from my research, these are the one to get.

WELL WORTH IT.  That 2 piece accel tool is a pos and a pita to use.  if only one or two wires are too long, cut the end and shorten them.  that's what i have done with a few premade sets. i bought a package of Accel wire ends just for doing this.
Mike
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2015 at 3:48PM
OK kids, as stated before yeah. 351W wires don't fit for a darn on a Cleveland. I truly need to listen better to you guys.

So I still need a set of wires. I thought about buying a tool and 8 straight boots and just modifying these nice 9MM Ford Motorsport wires...
And yes I agree the goofy odd length wires are bugging me.

Just need the wire boos and terminals now... 
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2015 at 9:44PM
Accel makes a kit for their 8.8 mm wires. But they are a red/orange color.

Moroso makes a kit with blue colored boots, but they are for their 8mm wires, so they will probably be a tight fit with your wires.

Moroso also makes a kit for their 8.65mm wires, but they are a gray color.

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2015 at 10:01PM

To see another kit Click here.

To see another kit Click here.

These next two boot kits are advertised as being for a Male/HEI distributor. I have seen distributor boots being advertised with that description, but these are advertised as (and appear to be) spark plug boots.

You might want to contact the seller for more information about that description.

To see them Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 24-May-2015 at 10:36PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2015 at 10:02PM
To see the other kit Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 24-May-2015 at 10:36PM
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2015 at 11:27PM
Thanks I appreciate the info!!
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2015 at 9:07AM
Your welcome.

This next kit has blue boots, but they were designed to fit onto 8mm wires. So they might be a tight fit onto your wires.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>