The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Factory option codes for LTD II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black1979LTDII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory option codes for LTD II
    Posted: 27-February-2015 at 4:01AM
Hello to everyone. We just bought a 1979 LTD II. Not a Brougham or S model its a 65D model 2 door with buckets and gauges/tach. We like it and are trying to research the numbers and codes on it. {example,we know VV is the factory code for the wire wheel covers} Does anyone know where you can go to get the factory option codes for the LTD IIs? We have the build sheet and would love to decode it. Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated! Pete
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2015 at 7:36PM
are you familiar with Marti ?

72 GT Ute

Black1979LTDII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black1979LTDII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 2:21AM
Thank you for the reply. Yes,I bought a report from Marti once for my 1974 Galaxie 500. Very helpful. Will get one on this LTD 2 also. About three weeks ago,while trying to look up info on this car before I bought it, I came across a site that had ALL the factory option codes for these cars! Cannot find it again. I am a stickler for originality and love to document my cars. This car has some odd options,like the console/column shift and gauge/tach package. Also has a "dove grey" color interior I have never seen before. Its a 302 car, 99.9% all there, my plan is to detail it and enjoy it. LTD2s are rare in my area, probably everywhere.I was lucky to get a nice original build sheet with the car,but find it really hard to decode non-mainstream Fords. Glad I found this site with all the great info and helpful members! As I learn more.I will pass it along!
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 2:58AM
Welcome to the forum.  Post up some pics.  We'd love to see your LTD II.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black1979LTDII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 5:35AM
Thank you!!!   Will post pics when the snow and ice here are gone,can barely get the 2 in and out of the garage right now! Look forward to detailing it and then posting pics. Thanks again. Pete
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 6:39AM
welcome! yes pics when you can Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 7:23AM
Welcome fellow Kentuckian, where are you at?
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black1979LTDII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 8:52AM
South central KY near Glasgow. We attend the big Somerset cruise when we can.   Not into the trophy game anymore! Love rare old cars, especially the ones you don't see or hear much about,especially Fords and Plymouth,but we [my wife and I] appreciate any old car. Love nothing better than seeing an original old car that has been preserved! Its about the people and driving the cars so they can be seen. I recently found out about a Ford I had never heard of,the 1979 to 1980 or 1981 LTD "S" model. Sort of a base LTD. Im 58 and still learn new stuff all the time! http://forum.grantorinosport.org/smileys/smiley1.gif
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 10:48AM
Originally posted by Black1979LTDII Black1979LTDII wrote:

We just bought a 1979 LTD II, we are trying to research the numbers and codes on it. {example,we know VV is the factory code for the wire wheel covers} We have the build sheet and would love to decode it. Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum, I know a person who knows alot about the numbers and codes for the 1979 models.
If you would want to post the numbers and codes here, I will talk to him about it and i will write/decode the answers here. If you do not want to write the V.I.N. Number (vehicle identification number) here, that is okay. But the V.I.N. number will tell you more about the vehicle.

Edited by dave302 - 28-February-2015 at 1:05PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 12:41PM
Make sure you attend the annual Gran Torino show at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville this summer. There were I think two LTD IIs there last year, and Montegos... You are at the right place.

As a kid, we used to camp at Barren River almost every summer. I designed Highland Elementary there in Glasgow too.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black1979LTDII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 1:51PM
Thank you for the info, the show in Louisville sounds great, we will look into being there. The vin on my 2 is 9H30F100710. I have decoded that, pretty easy, also figured out most of the door jamb info. The codes on the build sheet are much harder to decode, I don't know where to go for that. We will be ordering a Marti report soon, but for in-depth info/research thru them it cost $80.00 per hour, May order the window sticker too. Guess we have all been thru this at some time with our vehicles. Always wished everybody had the foresight to keep all paperwork, but that would make things too easy! Pete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black1979LTDII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 1:54PM
The build sheet is pretty complicated and I will post it online when I figure out how. Sorry, not the most computer savvy old guy around!
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2015 at 2:23PM
This is how to post a picture: First, you have to click on the POST REPLY button on the lower left with the BLUE ARROW, Do NOT use the QUICK REPLY box on the bottom of all the pages to post a picture.
Then you have to click on the "Insret Image" button.

In this next dialog window you have to upload your image first. This is in the left bottom corner. Click on "Browse" look for the image on your hard drive and click OK. When it is uploaded, you get a preview of your image. Click OK in this dialog window and the image is added. You can repeat this several times if you want to add more pictures.

Edited by dave302 - 28-February-2015 at 2:35PM
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 12:17AM
All I know is there were at least 61 op.on the 79. You could do it any way you wanted. 65d means its a 2dr.Sports and touring came with mag 500.and a badge in the grill.Also the sports.gauges.The trouble with ford they did not keep records of how many of each type were made.I was told 18000 two door cars.Or 1800 not sure now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black1979LTDII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 2:32PM
18,000 including the broghams model 2 doors,you are right about the 61 options,I saw them listed somewhere on the net with the factory letter codes out beside each option. It was a world of useful info,but I cant find it again to save my life! Will keep looking!!!! Thank you to everone who responded.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2015 at 2:57PM
Contact one of the members on here, Antlerfiend (real name is Alex.)  I just spoke to him on the phone and I mentioned you. He is close friends with a LTD II guru that lives right here in so Indiana. I understand he has more than one and knows quite a bit of information about them. Alex said to contact him and he could give you his name and number. 
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2015 at 12:01PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black1979LTDII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2015 at 11:34AM
Found a lot of info on codes on   www.gmv-registry.com. Covers Granada/Lincoln/Verailles,but the codes are applicable to a lot of Fomoco cars. Figured out a lot of my build sheet info except things like "cat converter codes VAT right and GIN left. The car is a 302 with duel pipes with factory cats right behind the head pipes,new one on me! Hope this info helps ya'll!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2015 at 12:54PM
' pre-cats ' get the party started early by being near the manifold dump

possible the regular cats were too far back to achieve the desired results so Ford used pre-cats to get the unburnt Hc's kickin right out of the gate
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 9:05AM
My 79 302 'Bird has cats directly attached to the manifolds. the Y-pipe attaches to the cats. No other cats on the car. I have seen other Torino chassis cars with the same set-up with a cat after the Y-pipe, and my 87 Crown Vic had cats and precats on each side. I think Ford was just making stuff up as they went along.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 12:44PM
ya mine are right off the manf. I have no mufflers just the cats.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black1979LTDII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 3:13AM
My 1979 2 has duel cats just below the head pipes, it then is a duel pipes till it gets under the car. Then it "T's" into one pipe and runs into a single muffler on the right side. Looks to be all original,there are still FOMOCO badges on the cats. Must be a better system than GM cats,they would have stopped up years ago.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 7:14AM
Originally posted by Black1979LTDII Black1979LTDII wrote:

My 1979 2 has duel cats just below the head pipes, it then is a duel pipes till it gets under the car. Then it "T's" into one pipe and runs into a single muffler on the right side. Looks to be all original,there are still FOMOCO badges on the cats. Must be a better system than GM cats,they would have stopped up years ago.
IDK if they are any better than the G.M units, but you can hollow them out VERY easily and put the shells back in place. Very common in the late 80s with these as they got up in miles and started to plug up.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply