Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Scoop Detail Work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Scoop Detail Work
    Posted: 02-March-2015 at 9:36AM
I took the scoop out of my hood to clean up the joint between it and the hood.  Now that I have it out I took out the grilles and backing plates.  When the car was painted years ago the painter got some overspray in there, so I'd like to detail the scoop properly. 

What is the correct colours for the backing plate and the grilles?  I'd assume the backing plates in some shade of black.  My grilles are mostly black but have some silver on the edges.

Any advice appreciated.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2015 at 7:44AM

Someone else must have restored their grilles and block off plates?

Anyone?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2015 at 9:50AM
It's been a while, but I think I used flat black for the block off plates and cast coat aluminum for the grilles after media blasting all the parts.  Duplicolor DE1650 and DE 1634.  Paul~

Edited by picon3 - 03-March-2015 at 9:51AM
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2015 at 12:52PM
Thanks Paul. Do you know if silver is correct for the grilles? I have seen 1972s with black and silver grilles.  I am not sure which is correct. My car appears that it had black grilles but I am not sure if it got blacked by the painter years ago.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2015 at 3:46PM
Vince,
My car was an original paint car and the grilles were similar to the cast coat aluminum I used and the block off plates were a flat black; again not exact, but close.  One thing of note is that the car was special order paint (black) so I don't know for sure if that had anything to do with whether or not the combination on my car was correct or not.  Others may have more up to date info.  Hope that helps, 
Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2015 at 5:16AM
yes, flat black for the backing plates and argent silver for the grills
Mike
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2015 at 5:55AM
My original grilles cast alum color and backing is a satin black , but they were faded a little before i redid them .  
 I like my hood scoop with no grilles or backing plate on anymore . It looks much meaner . But i dont drive my car as a daily driver so i dont have to worry about rain getting in  . Also i am putting the Ram Air on soon . 

Edited by RAPTOR - 05-March-2015 at 5:59AM
1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
1996 Bronco XLT
2010 SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2015 at 3:16PM
Thanks guys!!
It seems the consensus is argent (silver) grilles, flat black backing plates.  My guess is that my scoop got blacked out when my dad had the grille blacked out in the 70's.  Like my grille, the painter didn't do a good job.  I restored the two tone grille last year so I still have some argent silver paint for the scoop grilles.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply