The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What brand battery/style are you using

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What brand battery/style are you using
    Posted: 07-March-2015 at 2:44PM
I've started researching different batteries and was wondering what everyone is using in their cars. Please list any information you have to offer: Brand, style, Fit, ect.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 2:49PM
I am running the one from Wal-Mart.
That way I can get it warranteed ANYWHERE when we are on the road.

There is a pic with the numbers and info on my build thread a few pages back

Edited by Regul8r - 07-March-2015 at 2:50PM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 3:06PM
there's less than a handful of actual battery manufacturers, they're just labels & build specs
I just put one of these in my DD, advertised at 850 CCA it tested over 1000 after I installed it at home then went back to have the charging system tested

PowerFrame Grid Technology

Edited by Rockatansky - 08-March-2015 at 3:44AM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 3:20PM
^^^max is right about mfg's batteries lately are like everything else---don't last / made poorly, so i'm only buying interstate batteries for my vehicles they seem to last and hold up well!! i've got a group 24 in the torino
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 3:35PM
Whichever size (group#) you get, se if you can get one with the + and - poles reversed. Get that + post away from the fender.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 3:45PM
Duralast group 24.  AZ's Duralast batteries are made by JCI, who manufactures the majority of the big 3's batteries as a tier one supplier.  Warranteed across the U.S.
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 4:57PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Whichever size (group#) you get, se if you can get one with the + and - poles reversed. Get that + post away from the fender.

we just had a thread recently about the + terminal being near the body metal, I don't recall there being a clear decisive group # that is right?

I thought the 24F has the reversed terminals for Ford and the std group 24 (chevy) is the one that puts the + on the inner fender... or is that the chevy bat is the safe one in a Ford?
72 GT Ute

bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 4:57PM
Diehard Gold Group 34. Fits factory battery tray. Gold performs well without the issues of glass mat batteries. Not that glass mat batteries are bad, just there are some things to consider with them.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 5:49PM
I got one with the flipped terminals too
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
IndyLTD I I View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyLTD I I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 10:42PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

I thought the 24F has the reversed terminals for Ford and the std group 24 (chevy) is the one that puts the + on the inner fender... or is that the chevy bat is the safe one in a Ford?

The 24F when installed with the terminal posts closest to the solenoid will result in the positive post being in the stock Ford location by the fender.

The standard group 24 is what you want to put the positive terminal towards the engine. Some of the base models battery tray and factory hold downs will only support a group 56 without modification, which has the terminal by the fender. I'm currently using a group 34/78 dual terminal "universal" battery. If you use a regular group 34 make sure it's not a 34R which would put the positive back on the fender side. Don't forget you might need a little longer cables if you flip terminal post locations.
Lee Virden
1978 LTD II S
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 10:54PM
I was having issues with hot starts (not to be confused with hot sharts). Put in a gear red. starter, and a Diehard Platinum (#50065) battery. Its a big sucker. Group Size 65. 930 CCA, 1350 HCA, 60 pounds, fits the tray (shorter and wider than the suggested battery), and I haven't had an issue starting since. Also, the + cable is no longer right next to the fender. At around $225, it was worth it for me. I've spent more money on worse things. 

^Link is for the newer battery. 20 CCA more. #51065 Funfact: These are rebadged 'Odyssey' batteries. 

77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2015 at 11:27PM
Mine came to me with some crap Yuasa thing....will be ripping it out for a Varta
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 4:05AM
Group 65 here as well, required modifying the battery tray and fabbing up the upper mounts, but well worth the effort IMO.  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 4:21AM
Tried to stick with that stock thing , made sure it didn't say MADE IN MEXICO

Edited by albo74 - 08-March-2015 at 4:23AM
albos73gts
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 4:50AM
I use the Motorcraft BXT-24-A  from the local Ford dealer.  Exact fit for the stock battery hold down......BXT-24-A places the positive terminal away from the fender and the BXT-24-B places it next to it.  The cold weather that we have had the past couple of winters did not effect it at all....started the car up and allow to run for a 1/2 hr. once a month type of stuff.     

Edited by Zebra 3 - 08-March-2015 at 4:53AM
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
73 Baby Gran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Baby Gran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 4:55AM
My GTS has the 351c and over the years had trouble with hot starts until I installed an interstate megatron.  I think it's the mt34, never had trouble since and I own the car since 1976.
One of Fords better ideas!
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 5:34AM
Originally posted by albo74 albo74 wrote:

And this is why Ford used that pop riveted piece of plastic on the fenderwall.
Now that I have seen a few... I look and MOST of the cars that are original/junkyard beauties have that piece.
Cars that have been out on the road all these years seem to not have them.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 6:11AM
I 2nd the AGM batteries like the Platinum, I got that recently for my 91 Lincoln. It's 54lbs heavy.

The issue is price, dirt cheap choices run $110 or so now. Middle range is about $150, and the good stuff is over $200.

I even priced Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries because the normal things are so high. I see that looking a little, you can buy a couple of the things to replace one lead acid type, for about $400. I do not know what the actual performance comparison would be, or the lifespan. But it seems comparable, and if they lasted longer, it would be a decent alternative, especially if prices keep climbing.

Here's one of many on Amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL35A480C-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B00F9LPL5E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425837891&sr=8-2&keywords=Lithium+Iron+Phosphate+Battery

At 3.6 pounds, and 480CCA, it sounds promising. Who'll try one or two?
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 7:51AM
Originally posted by albo74 albo74 wrote:

72 GT Ute

occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 8:10AM
Interstate carries both 24F and 34R batteries. In either case it puts the positive terminal near the fender and solenoid. There are other battery group sizes that might work, some a half inch wider, some narrower, some taller some shorter.

I used an Interstate Mega Tron (MT-34R) as the last battery in my sedan before it was sold. 700 cold cranking amps (CCA) and 875 cranking amps (CA). This is a shorter battery than the 24F by one inch but matches width and length wise.

Interstate Mega Tron Plus 24F (MTP-24F) is a 1000CA and 800CCA battery. It is 3/4 inch longer than a regular 24F. Should fit most Fords just fine.

The only higher amperage batteries they sell include:

1) Interstate Mega Tron Plus Group 65 (MTP-65) is a top terminal battery and the positive would be near the fender and solenoid once installed. It has 1095CA and 875CCA. It is an inch longer (12" total) and 5/8 inch wider (7.5" total) but is not as tall (7.5" total) as a 24F (11 inches long, 6 7/8 inches wide, 8 3/4 inches tall).

2) Group 79 which is a side terminal battery, about the same size (give or take 1/8 inch) than the 65. I wouldn't want to convert to side terminals, that's a GM junk thing and I see more often than not leakage out of those side terminals and then you've got acid everywhere.

3) Group 93 puts out 1065CA and 850CCA. This is MUCH wider (14 3/8") and will probably definitely not fit a Torino.

Content ganked from http://www.interstatebatteries.com/content/product_info/auto_interstate_f.asp

I have an Interstate Battery store about ten minutes from me. Get everything there. Not just for the Suburban and minivan, but also for the tow trucks, cordless impact batteries, and replacement batteries for jump boxes. Most Interstate stores sell used automotove batteries as well in the $40-$50 range. You might only get a month to six months of warranty, but it's a lot better than the $120-$180 batteries brand new these days.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 12:37PM
went back and looked, here is my battery work on Page 12 of Lola's build thread...

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 12:20AM
 The last time I purchased a battery I was shocked at the jump in $$, it seems they price auto batteries like they do gasoline(an overnight 10-20% jump). If you have a Rural King in your area, give them a look for your next battery purchase. I needed 3 new batteries(2-group 65's for my PSD and 1-24F for my wife's Sequoia), AZ & AAP wanted $140+ for the 65's and over $125 for the 24F. I purchased the Rural King 65's for $70 each and the 24F for $65. I will tell you the RK batteries "only" have a 2 year free replacement with a longer 72 month Pro-rate, but at about 1/2 the price of the AZ/AAP batteries(I figured it wasn't worth it for me to pay double the $ for only an additional year of free replacement and less pro-rate period). I really like the AGM batteries, but unless this "better" technology has a longer warranty(if it is that much better why not "show" it with a longer warranty) and/or more cranking amps for the extra $, I don't see the benefits for me(no, I really don't need to mount a battery on it's side or upside down...yet). I previously installed AZ Duralast Gold batteries in every vehicle I had, or business had(4 PSD trucks, Terex Excavator, F800 dumptruck, Bobcat skid steer and etc) so I had a wide field of battery installations. It seemed lately the JCI built batteries would crap out JUST after the 3 year free replacement warranty period(especially in our PSD's), this in addition to the increased price drove me to try the RK batteries. I have also had great luck with CARQUEST batteries(East Penn manufactured). I'll see if the RK/Exide batteries are worth the savings. Sorry for the long post. Todd 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 1:54AM
Duralast Gold and Optima. DO not get the Duralast mat batteries. Terrible and fail with regularity. Warranty is why I go with Duralast. Optima performs well, but if it does go dead, it requires a different charger - not a regular battery charger - to bring it back to life. I use sizes 65 and 24.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply