The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fox body Mustang Headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fox body Mustang Headers
    Posted: 08-March-2015 at 2:54AM
I've read posts where you can use factory OEM 79-93 Fox body Mustang headers on our cars.  I'm planning to do this in my '79 T-bird, but have a couple of questions. 
While searching, I've also seen 94-95 factory headers out there with a couple of sellers who have said they are the same as the Fox body.  Any ideas if this is true?  Typically, they're priced less than the Fox body headers. 

Do you think that Fox body Mustang aftermarket headers will fit?  Any first hand experience?  You can get a pair of ceramic coated headers with all hardware and gaskets for less than $100.  The going rate for used OEM headers looks to be about $50.  The local Pull a Part price for a pair is $46, so no advantage there.  Here's a couple of pics for comparison.

Factory OEM

Aftermarket

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 3:19AM
yes the aftermarket makes direct bolt on replacement headers that eliminate the non-mandrel bent pinch es, they should be an exact interchange offering better flow performance. unfortunately the OEM tubes at the flange accurately represent  the stock exhaust port, the aftermarket shorties are necessary when using aftermarket heads with improved Ex ports

the OEM's will give slightly better off idle to mid torque & then choke the upper rpm operation

the aftermarkets will free up the upper rpm / highway operation at a slight cost to the low end

you may not notice / be able to tell the difference in the low end

Edited by Rockatansky - 08-March-2015 at 3:21AM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 3:27AM
i'd have to chose "B"   Better looking, Bigger tubes! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 3:38AM
Yeah, it seems like a no-brainer.  Just wanna make sure they'll fit.  With aftermarket headers, you hear/read about fitment issues.  And these are "cheap" ebay headers.  So, quality may be of concern too.  I'm gonna do some research on fox body forums to see if I can find any reviews.  DNA Motoring seems to have decent reviews, for non-Mustang applications.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 4:06AM
pretty sure ilyes used some in his old project thread on his 1st Torino  
72 GT Ute

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 5:28AM
That was me, I have them on the 302 in Ol'Brown.
You can look back in that build thread and see them.
They come REAL close to the steering gear box and I had to grind the flange itself.
No issue after that.
I have been told they will hit on 351W though. No experience just some info I got.
There is room and IF I had to, I could heat the runners and add a little bend to them to move the flange away from the gear box in the future.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 5:58AM
The fitment should be fine but for the possibility at the collector area. I have never tried the cheap new aftermarket units, but I recall there being a few choices, some better looking than others.

I had/have some mid length headers I used on a 351W in my old 86 CV, and then later for a 302. I had to modify one(right) header to clear the trans for the 351(they are 302 headers), I cut three of the pipes near the ports, and took out a bit, rewelded, to make them tuck in better.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 6:12AM
Ol'Brown, 72 Gran Torino, 203/C4 no A/C
Passenger side... no issues!
Driver side you can see where I had to grind the flange at the steering gear box.
The issue here would be with a 351W, just a hair wider would put that flange inside the gear box.
My idea was wedge the motor to the passenger side, bolt the header in place, heat the pipes and bend the bottom flange area away from the gear box to tuck it closer to the block.  

Edited by Regul8r - 08-March-2015 at 6:16AM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 7:24AM
Looking at Regul8r's picture, I would be a bit concerned about the lower tube of the shiny headers, that is very close with the factory headers, and the shiny ones look bigger in that area. Also, motor mounts are very important. If you have 40 year old sagged mounts, factory headers hit HARD into the steering box.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2015 at 11:54AM
351w is wider due to the taller deck height. i used the JBA 351w headers on mine, worked really well, but they are a bit pricey! but over all i'm real happy with them!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 2:09AM
5.0 Shorties will not work in a Saginaw-equipped Torino without major mods. I picked up a set of long tubes for $75 in perfect shape, bolt on, no issues. Using the 5.0 Shorties on a 351 Windsor would be too tight.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 2:19AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

5.0 Shorties will not work in a Saginaw-equipped Torino without major mods. I picked up a set of long tubes for $75 in perfect shape, bolt on, no issues. Using the 5.0 Shorties on a 351 Windsor would be too tight.

So the long tubes were for a fox body Mustang?  Or for our cars?  Assuming they were used?  How long ago?  Where can I find a set?  Brand and part number?  Wanna sell yours?! 
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 2:36AM
Mine are for a 1972-up Ford intermediate. Heddman Headers brand, high quality. Were on his car for about 6 months. I found them on CL, and will keep an eye out for another set for you. This is the 3rd set I've found and bought, so they are out there. I have 3 sets of 5.0 Shorties and a set of factory 5.0 GT-40P shorties. WEIRD way to run tubes, but the P heads are unique creatures, and the plug angle precludes running a standard 5.0 header of any sort.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 3:47AM

Mine are for a 1972-up Ford intermediate. Heddman Headers brand, high quality. Were on his car for about 6 months. I found them on CL, and will keep an eye out for another set for you. This is the 3rd set I've found and bought, so they are out there. I have 3 sets of 5.0 Shorties and a set of factory 5.0 GT-40P shorties. WEIRD way to run tubes, but the P heads are unique creatures, and the plug angle precludes running a standard 5.0 header of any sort.

Yep.  I've read about the P head differences during my research.  Thanks for the info.  I think I'll hold out for a set of the Heddman long tubes with the shorties as my backup plan.  Although I need to see what type of steering box I have.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 3:54AM
Joe, does this look like the Hedmans?  These are still available, advertised to fit 68-73 Torino with 289-302.

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 5:31AM
Yes, those appear to be the Hedman 88300 Painted "Street Headers". They sell for about $196.00 new. Hedman also makes five other long tube headers for the '68 through '73 torino with the 302 engine. They all have a 1-5/8" primary tube diameter and a 3" collector flange.

Their other five types of headers are:
Black Ceramic coated 88303 $450.00
Silver ceramic coated 88306 $440.00
Thermal coated 88308 $400.00 
304 stainless steel uncoated/natural 82300 $710.00 
304 stainless steel silver ceramic coated 82306 $1,070.00
They are all higher priced than the 88300 "Painted" headers. 

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 5:36AM
There is a picture below of the Hedman 88300 painted headers. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 6:34AM
From memory, that looks like them. I'd have to check. Thunderstruck ('72 Sportroof) had a 302 with full length headers on it. I saved the complete 3 inch exhaust system from headers to chrome tips off it for a future build. Much nicer to get one that way, LOL. I removed the system off it, and the headers from below on both sides. Jacked the car up in the air, disconnected the pipes from the collectors, removed the pipes/mufflers, removed the bolts from the header to head flange, tilted the header collectors down and to the front, and with a little coaxing, they slid right out. I am not sure of their brand, but they had a small oval nameplate on 1 tube of each header. They are still sitting where I stuck them on a shelf almost 2 years ago, so I am a little fuzzy on the brand.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 6:36AM

From memory, that looks like them. I'd have to check. Thunderstruck ('72 Sportroof) had a 302 with full length headers on it. I saved the complete 3 inch exhaust system from headers to chrome tips off it for a future build. Much nicer to get one that way, LOL. I removed the system off it, and the headers from below on both sides. Jacked the car up in the air, disconnected the pipes from the collectors, removed the pipes/mufflers, removed the bolts from the header to head flange, tilted the header collectors down and to the front, and with a little coaxing, they slid right out. I am not sure of their brand, but they had a small oval nameplate on 1 tube of each header. They are still sitting where I stuck them on a shelf almost 2 years ago, so I am a little fuzzy on the brand.

HHMMMM??? Sounds like what I need for Lola!!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 7:33AM
They sounded incredible. The small cam the engine had with those headers, 3 inch pipes (which in reality, hurt performance), Magna Flows and 4 inch tips made for an engine you could listen to for hours. I will need to keep this system, just in case the red Torino wagon does not sell and I install the 5.0/5 speed setup in it.

I cannot recommend that particular setup enough for an engine with a small to medium cam. Deep, metallic sound that you could count the licks. May be the guy in me, but I LOVE a healthy engine that makes itself known with a restrained obviousness when idling, but bellows when you put your foot through the radiator - without being obnoxious. Going with a 2.25 to 2.5 inch ID pipe would help low-end power without sacrificing sound.

Years ago, I had a 1970 F100 with a 390, headers, 2.5 inch pipes and Guts (guy locally made them). Oh my gosh, I felt like Superman when I romped on it. Put another set on an old Fairlane with a Windsor. Same feeling, and if you have a good cam...just euphoria. If I could find a quality set now at a decent price, I'd buy them in an instant.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 7:39AM
In case you aren't familiar with Guts, they are very similar in sound to the "Chambered" exhaust that Chevrolet had back in the '60's. Imagine a set of Flowmasters/Magna Flows on a car idling. While it is idling, take a metal rod and lightly tap on the pipes with the rhythm of the engine. Hear that metallic sound mixed with the exhaust note? That is the sound of a quality Gut. Not a cheapo gutted regular muffler, a real, purposely-built Gut.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 7:58AM
Found this thread:

Looks like the Summit G9031's will fit, and are available for $135 shipped.  I'll go with these if I can't find a cheaper set of used ones.

This question seems to come up quite often.  Someone should create a sticky with a list of headers that are known to fit, including part numbers, details, mods needed to make them fit, etc.

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 3:03PM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 3:25PM
so is this true that these fit our cars???

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 11:20PM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

so is this true that these fit our cars???

According to that thread that I linked.  mkshelton states that he used the ceramic coated version of them in his '76 Elite, and said "they fit just about perfectly".  robot9000 ordered a set of the G9031.  I sent him a PM to see if he installed them yet, and how they fit, but haven't heard back from him.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2015 at 1:10AM
i just bought a set of Hedman 88650 off Shane Folsom, new in the box!

Edited by Regul8r - 10-March-2015 at 1:11AM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2015 at 12:22PM
Saginaw box is a problem??? How do I tell which box is which? Maybe this is why mine wouldn't fit?
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2015 at 12:51PM
Robot9000 replied to my PM, saying the Summit headers fit great.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2015 at 1:36AM
Saginaw box has 4 bolts and a square top cover. Ford box has 2 and an oval cover.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2015 at 1:08PM
Saginaw box... Damn. Will it fit if I grind the flanges like Carl did...
Randy
1979 T-Bird
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>