The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Headers what fits what!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INFO: Headers what fits what!
    Posted: 09-March-2015 at 3:01PM
Here is a sticky thread for all the info on Headers!

Tell us what YR, Motor, Tranny and THEN what headers (Make, model, part # etc...) you have!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 3:05PM
72, Gran Torino, 302, C4

80s/90s Stock Mustang GT Headers, had to grind the flange a little to slip by the gear box.

Edited by Regul8r - 09-March-2015 at 3:08PM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2015 at 12:37PM
'72 Torino. 351W, C6 auto (the deal breaker for many headers), floor shifter & power steering... FPA 1-5/8" x 1-3/4" stepped long-tubes w/ 3" collectors. Originally patterned up in/for a '68 Mustang for a 351W/C6 swap. Passenger side goes in from above, driver side goes in from underneath. No need to unbolt or move anything. Clears tranny by a mile and collectors do NOT hang down. Actually had to roll the exhaust down a bit, after the collectors, to clear the humps in the tranny cross member.
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2015 at 6:03PM
74 torino, 351W, AOD auto, JBA #1653S headers. both go in from the top,great steering box clearance, passenger side had to grind a little of the aod bellhousing by the top starter bolt for anti rattle/vibration purposes (fmx or c-4 should be fine) drivers side had to make two small dings in the bottom of the #1 tube to clear the motor mount bolts/poly lock nuts(i'm using prothane motor mounts (may not be an issue with stock style mounts as they have rivets instead of large thick lock nuts)

pics in my build thread:
  http://forum.grantorinosport.org/johns-74-sh-clone-build-thread_topic10024_page2.html

Edited by californiajohnny - 10-March-2015 at 6:07PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2015 at 2:04AM
75 Sport, 521 (big block), C6, PS.

Hooker 6126 ceramic coated.

Fits about as good as it gets. Touches the steering gear, engine must be partially out to install the haeders and to replace the driver side gasket. Had to put heat wrap on transmission cooling lines, and I should put some heat wrap on the steering gear.

Some say part of the steering linkage may hit, but I have not had that problem.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2015 at 4:53AM
73 Brougham, Hedman long tubes, 351c, C4 auto, soon to be toploader.....will see if these still fit after!
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2015 at 6:21AM
73 351W FMX PS/PB.  Summit Racing headers.  Went in from top and no issues at all!! Hooked  up to custom 2.5 in dual with H pipe.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2015 at 3:20AM
Please include part #s on your threads.
That will greatly help!
Thanks.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2015 at 1:58PM
Anyone using long tube headers that actually clear the linkage with a 351C and top loader in the 72 - 76?  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2015 at 2:05PM
F.P.A.
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
steelerman1969 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelerman1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2015 at 3:28AM
I have had NO luck with headers on my 1973 GTS, running a 351C 4V heads and intake with a C6 transmission.....any ideas ?
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2015 at 7:02AM
I am curious what the difference in flow is for a factory SBF exhaust manifold v/s a Ford "Shorty" and the difference in flow between the "Shorty" and a full long tube header. Of more importance would be general power differences (both real and perceived).

Edited by unlovedford - 30-April-2015 at 7:03AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
galvarado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galvarado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2017 at 4:54PM
I realize this thread is a couple years old, but I just wanted to add another header option.  I don't know if anyone has used these for this application.  1976 Gran Torino, 351W, C6,  and I used Doug Thorley THY-268-1-C.  The driver side collector had to be ground down a bit due to the Ford steering gear.  Perhaps a Saginaw gear affords more room,  but it clears after a little work with the Ford gear.  Both sides dropped in from the top with loads of room on the passenger side.  Passenger side clears the starter with plenty of room.  No more heat soak.  And no more cooking the fuel line on the driver side. 
galvarado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galvarado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2017 at 11:28AM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2017 at 2:14PM
always good to keep up on header fitment because availability is always changing

usually not for the better Beer
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2018 at 11:30AM
'76 Gran Torino 460 floor shift - CRITES using factory mounts. $495.00

Passenger side collector was tight to C6 pan but Crites made me a new one to kick it away from the transmission.

They are individual 2" tubes with a slip fit, 3 1/2" collector, so installation is pretty easy... Harder getting the collectors on that installing the tubes!!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-June-2018 at 11:32AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2018 at 10:52AM
Below is some detailed information from aquartlow, Todd, sent me on installing Hooker Super Comps 6126's for a Big Block Ford. 

Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

I had a couple interference issues with my Hooker SC headers, but they were not bad at all. Mine dealt with proximity to front brake lines, upper control arms, pitman arm and idler arm as well as heat to evaporator case which was solved by fabbing up and installing a simple heat shield and self adhesive backed heat shielding. The brake line issue was taken care of by fabbing up/cutting out simple 18ga sheet metal shields, upper control arm rather upper control arm chassis mounts needed just the rearward facing corner "nipped" off at a 45 degree angle(basically measured 1/4" from the corner each way and cut that off the mount-it is located below the upper control arm bushing).

The pitman arm is or was a self clearance type of deal, turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock placed a VERY small dimple in the driver's side header primary tube-just one tube. The passenger side needed a bit of idler arm grinding and re-positioning with a spacer/washer to gain enough clearance, but this could have been due to an aftermarket idler arm. I can tell you with certainty/honesty that the Hooker Sc's do an amazing job of snaking from the engine, missing the steering box, trans shift linkage, evaporator case, trans case and crossmember. 

I always heard or was told not to use headers, but leaving 40 or more HP/Tq numbers left on the table that I had paid for by either money out of pocket or time involved with porting the heads, installing my Hooker SC headers was a no-brainer. Since the 400 is a bit smaller package than a 460, you should have a bit more "wiggle" area to work with. If you do go with headers(and I would do it again), now is the time to fit them and make any necessary mods to have them fit correctly. In this I mean, if the header primary is hitting somewhere, either a dimple method(using a hammer and deep dwell socket on it's side) will add clearance or heat with oxy-actyl torch to manipulate the tubes for the needed clearance.

It sounds like a bunch of work but so is getting all the "right" parts for the engine build to make the most hp/tq, do not handicap it by using less than an optimum exhaust. It is a good idea to have the DS header positioned between the engine and chassis when installing the engine, this header has a lot more to contend with. Once all the header "mods" are taken care of, you can have them coated, after engine break-in of course. Hope this helps. Todd 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 11:54AM
Here is some information from the Torino Kid on Hooker Super Comps 6126 headers.  These are installed on a 351M that was installed in a GTS he bought.  This would be the same fitment for a 400 engine since it is externally identical to a 400.

For more information, see the original thread here:

Originally posted by The Torino Kid The Torino Kid wrote:

Super Comps that came with the GTS.
its a snug fit on the drivers side.

Here's where it gets tight, the last cylinder primary is on the corner of the steering box. Im sure it can be trimmed and the tuber "massaged" slightly.

A top view.

passenger side fits really well!

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 12:51PM
Good pics above, but just remember, if your GTS has the Saginaw steering gear there will be extra clearance due to it's smaller size.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2018 at 3:08AM
72 GTS 472 BBF, C6 Auto, Standard Steering. 6126 Hookers clear everything in the engine bay.
Collectors fire right into the factory transmission mount, so I modified mine and reinforced it with metal bottom plates to minimize flex.

jbach72gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach72gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2018 at 5:59AM
72 GTS 351C  2V  C4 Column shifted.  Power steering.  Power brakes. A/C.
Hooker Comp 6915-1HKR
I went with the 4v headers bc I'll be installing 4barrel heads in the spring.
Because the description did not say "Gran Torino" I called their tech who said they'd fit.
These went right in from the bottom.  Literally took 10 minutes each to squirrel them into place.
No special bracket needed for ps pump.
I have not finished connecting the collectors to the H pipe yet, but do have all the parts and hope to finish this weekend. (Also doing a Edelbrock 2v 4brl intake and carb swap)
Eyeing the passenger side it seems one of the tubes may be a bit close to the idler arm but I won't know if it hits until I get it running.

Jon

Edited by jbach72gts - 25-October-2018 at 12:16PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2018 at 11:42AM
Originally posted by jbach72gts jbach72gts wrote:

72 GTS 351C  2V  C4 Column shifted.  Power steering.  Power brakes. A/C.
Hooker Super Comp 6915-1HKR
I went with the 4v headers ...

couple things in case you're not aware, that PN is regular Competition rather than Super Comp, 1.75" primary tubes vs 1.875". the PITA isn't the tube sizes alone but the shape of the tubes 

good news to hear they slide in w/o all the wrestling that the Super Comps for the same application require. also FYI the 4V flange ~shouldn't~ seal on the 2V head, but just right now i'm remembering that the 4V sealing bead around the port opening doesn't seal on the 4V head Ermm

maybe it seals on the 2V head better than the 4V, IDK ... Confused
72 GT Ute

jbach72gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach72gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2018 at 12:19PM
Edited

Thank you.

They look like they'll seal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2018 at 12:46PM
after too many years of trying to seal Super Comps on 4V heads i took a real close look at all of it, turns out Australian 2V heads have enough meat around the port to seal a 4V header but US 2V's leave a side open. the gasket lasts a little while but it's unsupported and burns through. i ended up making a set of plates to help support the gasket. i traced the inside of a 2V gasket and the outside of a 4V gasket, the bolt patterns are the same but the material around the port is not

72 GT Ute

Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2020 at 1:41PM
Just thought I'd update what I have for headers and why I  went the way I did. 
1976 Gran Torino with a  351W and an FMX transmission. 
Hooker 6124 HKR full length. They fit with some minor issues. 
1st.  The passengers side went up from underneath. Very tight but went in place and lined up nicely with the crossmember. 
Steve M.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2020 at 1:55PM
2nd.  The drivers side was very different.I  took the steering box and lines out. That gave me enough room to bolt up that side. Started the engine to burn off the paint. Removed the headers and painted them black with high temperature header paint. There was some tweaks to do. The pipe closest to the steering box needed to be slightly bent in. Replaced the power steering lines. I didn't trust the old original ones.
Steve M.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2020 at 2:01PM
3rd.  The headers came non-flanged. After some debating with the custom exhaust shop,  I went with a clamp system. Future transmission work will be so much easier to do with this setup. Its not pretty,  but it works. 
Steve M.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2020 at 2:07PM
The exhaust is 2 1/2 inche pipe with Flowmaster 50s and 3 inch slash cut tips. With the built up engine, it sounds very nice.
Steve M.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2020 at 5:56AM
Steve, what tailpipes did you go with? Custom or something already bent that was 2 1/2"??

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2020 at 4:21PM
The pipes are custom bent. The whole exhaust system cost only 780.00 and change That's headers back 
Steve M.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>