Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thompson PS Pumps - Steering Effort

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thompson PS Pumps - Steering Effort
    Posted: 27-March-2015 at 12:18PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to reduce the amount of boost from a Thompson P/S pump?  I find my stock pump just provides way more assist than I'd like.  Anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the boost?

Edited by 72FordGTS - 11-May-2015 at 7:21AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2015 at 2:51PM
under driving the pulley may help some. mine is way too quick IMO, stock ford box and pump, when i got the billet under drive pulleys for the engine it did slowdown the pump only slightly, but i did notice a difference, i've gotten used to the feel but my car has always seemed really quick steering compared to all my other cars (maybe it's just a torino thing??? and all this discussion about replacing the box with a quick ratio one, and i'm thinking why? the damn thing is quick now!) maybe i'm missing something???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
IndyLTD I I View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyLTD I I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2015 at 4:49PM
We used to plumb a bypass valve from the pressure line to the return line on the older Fords. Now there are aftermarket options like: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Heidts-PS-101-Adjustable-Power-Steering-Valve,14895.html

Reducing the pressure definitely gives you more road feedback, and eliminates a lot of that steering on ice feeling.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Heidts-PS-101-Adjustable-Power-Steering-Valve,14895.html

Edited by IndyLTD I I - 28-March-2015 at 1:42AM
Lee Virden
1978 LTD II S
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2015 at 1:53AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

under driving the pulley may help some. mine is way too quick IMO, stock ford box and pump, when i got the billet under drive pulleys for the engine it did slowdown the pump only slightly, but i did notice a difference, i've gotten used to the feel but my car has always seemed really quick steering compared to all my other cars (maybe it's just a torino thing??? and all this discussion about replacing the box with a quick ratio one, and i'm thinking why? the damn thing is quick now!) maybe i'm missing something???
Fast box with less power steering will "feel" like you are more connected to the car.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2015 at 3:03AM
thanks lee, the link worked this morning, i may have to try one of those!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2015 at 5:23AM
I already have a quick ratio steering box.  I am happy with the ratio, but I still find the steering overboosted. 

The adjustable power steering valve seems like a good option.  I was hoping though that there was someone to have the pump "rebuilt" and recalibrated instead of adding something. 

Does anyone know if different versions of the Thompson pumps provide the same level of boost?  Like would one for a 1971 Mustang with a quick ratio steering box be calibrate the same as the ones used on our Torinos?  Is there anyone who specializes in modifying power steering pumps?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2015 at 8:14AM
Anyone got any other ideas?  There has got to be someone out there who specializes in Thompson pumps?  Or is my only option the add on steering valve or an oversized pulley? 

Edited by 72FordGTS - 30-March-2015 at 8:25AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2015 at 12:35PM
I have never tinkered with a Ford/Thompson pump, here is some info that may be useful in your quest to reduce output pressure and/or volume without an "external" device. I know "adjusting" the pump's internal pressure relief spring can increase or decrease output pressure, without adding something inline to reduce pressure which would also more than likely increase fluid temperatures. Hope this helps.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2015 at 2:39PM
good info in that link, I recall seeing other Ford documentation noting different pressure calibrations for various steering gear boxes

any chance you still have the tag on your pump Vince?

HBA-BH is calibrated for a Sag gear, here's another page with application data
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 2:04AM
Funny that this was in my YouTube new videos message this morning.....

How To Rebuild a Classic Thompson Style Ford Power Steering Pump Episode 205 Autorestomod

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 3:05PM
Thanks guys for all the great info.  So far I haven't figured anything out, but I will be sure to post if I do.

I guess the only other solution is I could swap a Saginaw P/S pump.  It seems they are very easy to adjust, and they can be turned way down to have low PSI for a Mustang II rack.  I'd prefer to keep my stock pump though, big dollars to upgrade, and a Saginaw pump will require a special bracket.  Plus, I want to keep my car as "stock" appearing as possible.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2015 at 10:33AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

good info in that link, I recall seeing other Ford documentation noting different pressure calibrations for various steering gear boxes

any chance you still have the tag on your pump Vince?

HBA-BH is calibrated for a Sag gear, here's another page with application data

I do still have the tag, but it's not readable unless I pull the pump and clean the tag.  I checked the site and my stock pump is different from the Mustang pump.  I am sure my car still has the original (never rebuilt) pump.  Lares only has one pump listed for all Ford applications and so do most other remans.

I did email Lares, and they said that they don't produce reduced pressure pumps.  I also emailed that Stangersite, and he was a bit more helpful.

He said:

Sorry, but the pressure valves in the Ford pumps are not adjustable. It would take a lot of trial and error to produce a certain pressure pump, so it is not worth it.

I recommend you go with this inline valve setup - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDT-PS-101/

You plumb this valve into the lines coming out of the pump, then you can bleed off excess pressure back into the reservoir, and set it where you like it.

It sounds like it might be possible to modify the pumps, but not easy.  After reading a bunch about them, I can't figure out what to do.

So it looks like my only viable option is to use the inline valve, which looks like it would involve a some custom lines and a bunch of adaptors since none of my lines will fit into as is.  Or the other is a Saginaw pump swap.  I did find aftermarket brackets for my engine.  At this time I will probably live with what I got since none of the solutions are too cheap and everything still works fine.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2015 at 10:51AM
Don't send your pump to Stangersite. I did, and I never saw my pump again. He would not answer the phone when I called, return calls or anything. I had proof that the pump was delivered to him, so I know he had it. And I had talked to him on the phone before I sent it, and he was quite cordial and knowledgeable.

Terrible business.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2015 at 3:31PM
Originally posted by GranTorinoSport GranTorinoSport wrote:

Don't send your pump to Stangersite. I did, and I never saw my pump again. He would not answer the phone when I called, return calls or anything. I had proof that the pump was delivered to him, so I know he had it. And I had talked to him on the phone before I sent it, and he was quite cordial and knowledgeable.

Terrible business.

Thanks for the heads up Scott.  I actually would have sent it to him if he said he could have lowered the boost on my pump.  Too bad he's so poor at business, but at least his website is decent for reference data.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2015 at 6:05PM
Yea, his website is great information and well laid out, no doubt. Also, I talked to him on the phone and he was informative, nice and made me want to do business with him.

But when I sent my pump in (sufficient information in the box to identify me, etc) suddenly he would not answer calls from 425 or 206 area codes. I left messages. Tried at various times/days. I had confirmation of delivery. Still in my garage today in fact.

WTF? That was so stupid it was unbelievable. I have dealt with some scoundrels in my lifetime, but he takes the cake for the "that just don't all make sense" award.

That was prob 1.5 or more years ago. Still, never a call or email.

And again, I have delivery confirmation.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 7:18AM
It looks like from what I can find adjusting the boost on the Thompson pumps just isn't a realistic option.  However, I did find that the Saginaw steering boxes can have the steering effort tuned by the "T-bar" or torsion bar inside the box.  Apparently the bigger the T-bar, the better the road feel.  Later model cars like Monte Carlo SS's, GM F-bodies from the 80's, and Grand Cherokees that had good steering effort used large T-bars that gave them good road feel.

So it looks like my best option may be to have a steering box builder replace my T-bar if that's possible.  And for anyone looking to do a Saginaw steering swap if you want good road feel, make sure you get larger than stock T-bar installed when they are building the box.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 8:43AM
  Are you looking to also change to quick-ratio (12.7 to 1) internals while you have the box opened to change the T-bar?

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 8:52AM

My box is already a quick ratio 12.7:1 box.  I guess I should have specified to my builder to put a high effort T-bar in too, but I didn't know about it at that time.  My steering box now is quite a bit quicker than stock, but the steering effort isn't much different.  I know my box was built based on a Mustang Saginaw gear box, so my guess is it uses that T-bar for that steering box which would be of the low effort 1970's style steering.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 11-May-2015 at 8:53AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 9:01AM
Most 12.7 to 1 ratios already come with a .185 or larger T-bar installed(unless custom assembled/built). The T-bar's used in conjunction with 12.7 to 1 ratios vary from .185 to .210. Here is some great reading I went/researched through when deciding to go with a quick ratio conversion. Hope it helps.
 http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?cat=4

Edited by aquartlow - 11-May-2015 at 9:03AM

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 9:09AM
Thanks for the link Todd!

My box was a custom build, so I have no idea what's in it.  I just asked the guy to use a 1971 Mustang box and put in a 12.7:1 ratio.   I have driven some factory 12.7:1 cars and they are definitely higher effort than mine.  I originally just figured it was because I am using my factory Thompson pump, but it's likely the T-bar that's the issue.  I don't think the Thompson pumps put out any more pressure than a Saginaw pump.

I will have to send my steering box back to the builder to have he replace it or to someone else if he can't do it.  From what I have read it sounds like replacing a T-bar requires disassembling the entire box which I am not sure I can do.  I will probably wait until the winter when the driving season is over though.  I just wish I would have known this when I had the box built a few years ago.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 11-May-2015 at 9:15AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 9:24AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Thanks for the link Todd!

My box was a custom build, so I have no idea what's in it.  I just asked the guy to use a 1971 Mustang box and put in a 12.7:1 ratio.   I have driven some factory 12.7:1 cars and they are definitely higher effort than mine.  I originally just figured it was because I am using my factory Thompson pump, but it's likely the T-bar that's the issue.  I don't think the Thompson pumps put out any more pressure than a Saginaw pump.

I will have to send my steering box back to the builder to have he replace it or to someone else if he can't do it.  I will probably wait until the winter when the driving season is over though.  I just wish I would have known this when I had the box built a few years ago.

Unless a Thompson pump has been modified it "usually" will have a lower PSI output compared to a Saginaw PS pump. Average PSI readings for a Thompson is 900-1100 whereas an avg Saginaw PS pump is 1000-1300 PSI. If you are using a Saginaw PS pump you can reduce the output PSI to increase the input effort. Here shows what can be done to increase or decrease the Saginaw PS output:
These mods may save you the hassle of removing and sending your PS gearbox out. I'd hate to send it out and the rebuilder found a .195 or larger T-bar already installed Ouch.

I know I installed the guts out of a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee's Saginaw steering box into my '79 Ranchero's Saginaw PS box. I re-used my Ranchero's input rotary valve assembly to keep the correct input spline count and rag-joint assembly, everything else installed with no machine work. The JGC box has the same output degrees, output shaft size and also has the exact same "blind" spline locations so my factory Ranchero pitman arm was a direct bolt-on. Good luck. Todd 

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2015 at 10:15AM
Todd,

how did the new steering box internals compare to your stock Saginaw for road feel?  I emailed the company that built my box to see if they know what T-bar was used in mine.  I rather alter the T-bar than at this point as I don't really want to put a Saginaw steering pump on my car if I can avoid it (brackets and pump to retrofit to my engine would be pricey and I prefer to keep it appearing more stock).
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2015 at 10:58AM
Vince,
  I do not have a good comparison to go by due to my Ranchero wasn't driven too often or for too long during it's LENGTHY restoration. I can tell you that the quick ratio internal swap did two things: 1) made my heavy vehicle have an "almost" go-kart feel to it's steering. 2) Gave me good road-feel feedback, not like an over-assisted 70's Lincoln Towncar-esque (word?) numb-feeling feedback in the steering wheel.
 Sorry, for my lengthy reply into a Saginaw PS pump/Saginaw steering gear info. For whatever reason I thought you were possibly installing a Saginaw PS pump and tried to give as much info as possible Confused.
 If I were a gambling man, I would put my money on your steering gear already having a .195 T-bar, hopefully you will get a more positive yes/no answer from your rebuilder. Todd

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2015 at 7:17AM
So I got a response from the steering shop.  This is part of his response:

We can modify the gear to give it a firmer feel.  When we did your gear a few years ago we essentially gave you gear from a Mustang from a similar vintage, valve and all.  It is not so much the thickness of the torsion bar that gives the firmer feel, but the strength of the steel used.  The torsion bar in your gear is actually 0.359,”  far larger than any of those listed on the chart you provided.  The difference is that more modern torsion bars are made of a much higher grade of spring steel, which require more effort to twist.  In order to achieve what you wish, we would replace your valve with a newer valve. 

So it sounds like he'll replace it with the newer valve which he told me would increase the road feel.  He said that'd I'd also have to send back the rag joint as the newer valve will require a different one.

I am not even sure now if he built it to 12.7:1 it may just be the Mustang fast ratio.  My steering box is probably just under 3 turns lock to lock, maybe 2 3/4's or slightly more.  In any case, I am very happy with the ratio, I wounldn't want it any quicker, but I would appreciate more road feel.  I guess I am getting to spoiled with the rack and pinion setup on my work car and my truck.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2015 at 10:13AM
Dang, .359", that is quite a bit larger T-bar than I have even read about. Glad I didn't actually bet. With that size of T-bar, it seems you wouldn't have much chance of being "over-assisted" or have a 1 finger type of steering effort.

Edited by aquartlow - 17-May-2015 at 10:14AM

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2015 at 10:55AM
Todd, how many turns lock to lock is your car? I am wondering if they even put in a 12.7 ratio in my car.  I think it may just be a fast ratio Mustang gear.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2015 at 12:36PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Todd, how many turns lock to lock is your car? I am wondering if they even put in a 12.7 ratio in my car.  I think it may just be a fast ratio Mustang gear.

Vince,
 Mine has about 2.5-2.75 turns lock 2 lock. If they(the rebuilder) used the guts out of a '71-'73 Mustang box (SPA-Tor SPA-V) with handling package(Mach 1, Boss) it will be variable ratio. The center travel of the steering gear is less sensitive/responsive, but as the steering wheel travels to each "lock" the ratio quickens. This made this particular steering gear a bit less "twitchy" as compared to a "straight" 12.7-1 gear ratio box. This may explain the over-assist feeling you are experiencing, since in the center of travel the variable ratio box has like a 16-1 ratio but closer to each end it nears a 13-1 ratio. Here is a website that explains it a little: 
Hope this helps. Todd

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2015 at 1:07PM
It sounds like my steering box has the same ratio or pretty close to yours then by your description.  I forgot that the Mustang box was variable.  The one I have is definitely constant.

FWIW, I recently drove my brothers old car with a stock Saginaw box, and I guess I just forgot how little road feel there was on a stock setup.  Mine definitely has more feedback and is tighter overall.  I guess I have just been spoiled by rack and pinion setups.  I still want more effort though, and I am sure if I send the box back I can get it setup more to my liking.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply