The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windsheild washer -pump wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windsheild washer -pump wiring
    Posted: 15-April-2015 at 10:59PM
It seems l don't have a washer pump for my windshield, BUT l do have three very thick wires ( Yellow, Red and Blue),nicely capped and sitting on the inside drivers fender.
Would these three big wires, be the washer pump wires, I haven't yet tested if they are 12 volts when the washer pump is turned on.
72 Ranchero GT.

Can anyone advise?
Cheers
David.
David Dare
aussie_dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 10:14AM
Are these my windshield washer pump wires ?

Cheers
David.
David Dare
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 11:09AM
no

Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 12:14PM
OK,l'm lost for wires to the pump then.
What are these three big wires for?
cheers David.
David Dare
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 12:30PM
The wire colors are BLACK and BLACK/WHITE STRIPE for the washer pump(at least for a '79). I do not have a '72 Ford shop manual. Seeing how there are wire nuts installed on the wires, are the wires solid or stranded?
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 1:51PM
I think l have found the real washer pump loom, stashed up under the side marker light.
Black and a black and white stripe.
The other three heavier wires are strand type, l tracked them back to the firewall. see pics.
David Dare
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 2:52PM
Your bottom picture is the connector for the washer pump.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 3:08PM
The heavy yellow wire is hot all of the time, cant figure out what the red and blue with stripe are, they have no power at acc or ign?

I have found yet another problem with the washer system!!!
I have no squirter's/jets or lines running up to it.
Any routing directions, l cant find a hole where the water line into the air plenum should go.
My ideas below..see pic... yellow circles are the possible locations, the blue arrow is the centre line.
Can you advise if l'm close?
David Dare
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 3:15PM
Originally posted by aussie_dave aussie_dave wrote:

I think l have found the real washer pump loom, stashed up under the side marker light.
Black and a black and white stripe.
The other three heavier wires are strand type, l tracked them back to the firewall. see pics.

BINGO,
 In the last pic, you found the windshield washer pump wiring plug!
   This link may help with your wiring needs http://www.gt40s.com/images/torino/72ford.pdf   (courtesy of forum member Ron Earp) 

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 3:32PM
I'll have to check on the red and yellow wires.  The wiring diagram will help you out on that though.

As for the squirters, they are on the bottom of the hood.  They are little metal nozzles and you route the hose along the fender to the firewall to the hood where it splits into two lines, one for each nozzle.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 16-April-2015 at 3:37PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 3:35PM
I believe the washer jets are attached to the bottom side of the hood for 72-73 model years and  attached to the wiper arms for 74-up.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 3:39PM
Vince, didn't rear your whole post sorry. I don't believe your wires to be factory. I've never seen them before...but someone may correct me. 
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 5:23PM
Yes l found them, seems the small T is only half there too.
Were they Nickel plated?

Mystery wires - any thoughts, l am about to go under the dash to see what they connect to.

David Dare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 6:31PM
The three heavy wires ( Red, Blue with stripe and Yellow-with power constant),travel from the inside fender, thru the firewall, under the pressed steel plate under the drivers feet, out thru the corner behind the drivers seat, past the 3 ford alumin relays and towards the back of the car along the drivers side???
At this point,it appears to be factory,all the yellow three pin plugs match the other plugs under the dash !!!

Puzzled
David.
David Dare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 6:36PM
Could these be a trailer (towing pack)harness, this car has had a tow bar at some time in its life?
Do all of the Ranchero's have this prewired?
David.
David Dare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 9:57PM
This loom comes out and disappears inside the taillight cavity and disappears under the back of the car where the tow bar is.
Hmmmm! so what does it do?, yellow is constant power, Red, does nothing that l have been able to tell as does the blue wire???

David.
David Dare
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2015 at 2:32AM
The yellow being hot all the time is the mystery to me.  I could see it being a tow package, but I have never seen one with a constant hot.  Maybe there was a 12V plug inside the bed of the Ranchero, possibly for an interior light or something.  Are one of the other wires ground wires?  I would also check to see if they get hot when you turn on headlights, blinkers, or brakes.  Good Luck, and keep us posted!

Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2015 at 1:11PM
??? wiring mystery! IDK what that would be for, looks like a size or two heavier gauge wire than normal for trailer lights. i'd have guessed  power seat or rear defrost, but not if they go all the way back to the tail lights!  ???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2015 at 2:06PM
are they factory wires, or an add-on?
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2015 at 11:32AM
The wires appear to be factory installed, behind the drivers seat, the wires are in a loom with tail light wires and housed in a mesh nylon type material that l easily pulled apart ( age) to take the pic above.
Seat motor wiring, l'm guessing not, there is no exit point at the seats, yes the loom travels to a grommet in the taillight cavity.. see pic from inside taillight cavity and under back.
Q/ -if trailer wiring,why only three heavy wires and only one powered?.. and powered for what?

My guess is the factory label on the loom ( in the tail light cavity )gives the answer, ???????? TO TRAILER HARNESS.
David.

David Dare
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2015 at 12:47PM
not sure why one would have constant power??? should be one for the left brake/turn, one for the right brake/turn, and one for the tail lights, and a ground wire (but that connection could be made near the connector back there)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2015 at 1:55PM
Does the ranchero use the same harness as a wagon???
If so, tailgate window power and controls.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2015 at 3:24PM
Great point Big Bird, wagon and Ranchero wiring - tail gate window and controls.
Any takers with a wagon.
David Dare
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2015 at 2:04AM
I know this info is probably 10 days too late, but here goes. In my '79 Ford electrical/vacuum trouble shooting manual it shows the three particular wires you need to find designations for. They ARE trailer tow wiring but still not sure why there are wires on the inner fender going to the front.The YELLOW wire is the feed wire from the battery, it is powered by 16ga fusible link and has power at all times. BLUE/BLACK STRIPE wire is powered by a dash mounted trailer brake controller, this wire would go to the feed the electric brake magnets(inside the brake drums of the trailer). It should only have power once a brake controller is wired. RED/LIGHT GREEN wire goes to trailer brake stoplights. In my manual it shows where there are 3 relays mounted behind the driver's side taillight to handle the electrical needs for a trailer. 1st relay is for trailer LH turn signal, powered by LIGHT GREEN/ORANGE wire from the turn signal switch. 2nd relay is for trailer taillights, powered by BROWN wire that also power the exterior lights. 3rd relay is for trailer RH turn signal, powered by ORANGE/LIGHT BLUE wire coming from turn signal switch. My manual shows a 6 wire plug, not sure if this was an option due to most current plugs being either flat 4 wire or a 7 wire plug (but obviously you can use only 6 positions of the 7 wire plug). I hope this helps somewhat. Todd

Post Reply Post Reply