The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

77-79 Brake Pedal Hanger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 77-79 Brake Pedal Hanger
    Posted: 16-April-2015 at 6:04PM
Hi guys. I need some help. Trying to verify whether or not the hanger from a Mark V is the same or different than our 77-79. I really don't want to pull my dash apart again unless I have to. Here are a few pictures of the hanger from the Lincoln.....

If someone has one hanging around that they wouldn't mind taking similar pictures for me. Or if someone has a definite answer. You'd be saving me a ton of time and headaches. Thanks!
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2015 at 1:35AM
Here is a link to a forum member over on Ranchero.US who installed a '78 Lincoln Mark V brake pedal bracket for a hydroboost conversion, maybe it will have the info you are looking for. Look at post #37 for the bracket and pedal pivot change.
Hope this helps.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2015 at 4:00AM
Thanks Todd. That's not the answer I was hoping for, but exactly what I wanted to know. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2015 at 9:14AM
I read through that and I am not sure I completely understand.

I get the pedal travel angle was wrong, hence needed a new setup. He procured the interior brace section, but then began talking about new holes and/or new pedals.

Did he use the interior brace AND pedal assembly from a 78 Mark V? Did he have to modify the brace or the pedal assembly, or both?

That is where I get lost. I'm good with the buying new parts to make it simple, and I am good with getting the brace out of a Mark V if needed.

I think the thread was a little more complicated than it needed to be (for the casual person interested only in Hydroboost) as there was all the engine swap stuff in there. Not to say he wasn't doing incredible things, it is just that he would be going back and forth...
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2015 at 12:28PM
When I did my hydro-boost conversion(I used an Astro van hydro unit) I kept my stock pedal and pedal hanger but I did modify my pivot ratio and pedal installed height. I moved the pedal pin that actuates the hydro unit, higher up the brake pedal to achieve a 5.5 to 1 ratio and to keep the hydro-boost unit's actuating rod in proper alignment, I then changed the pedal height by cutting the pedal arm and re-welding it so that the brake pedal would be at the same installed height as the accelerator pedal. I did this so I could "heel-toe" the brake-accelerator pedals easier when in traffic. I wish I took pics.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2015 at 7:18AM
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/595325-hydro-boost-master-cylinders.html

Here is some more information I found on the topic. Granted, geared for late 60's Mustangs, but same line of thought goes into the matter.

Seems there is not a direct bolt in, however the Mark V setup, with pedal modifications (of which I am not entirely sure), may be the easiest and most direct method.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2015 at 11:37AM
Mark IV and V are a stretched version of the Torino chassis. One would THINK that Ford, the parts-bin engineering champs, wouldn't have re-invented the wheel when it came to mounting these. Maybe make a template off the donor car? Then use the pedal and hanger from the donor as well.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply