The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

alternator problem? suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alternator problem? suggestions?
    Posted: 09-March-2008 at 10:54AM
Ok so i know i dont post on here very much but everytime i have a problem you guys are more than happy to help. so i appreciate. however i believe i am having alternator issues.  earlier last week two out of three of the connecting screws connecting the front to the back of the alternator came off. so i tightened the only one down in my work parking lot to get me home but the light was still on. the last time the light came on it drained battery power because it was the regulator.  i didnt have time to go to Lowes or anywhere to get some replacement screws so it took about 3 days for me to do it. but by then the alternator had drained the power out of my battery again.  so i replace the battery and got two new screws off a alternator from a ford ranger at the junk yard.  the light was still on. 3 days later the battery drained again.  so i went to auto zone and tested the alternator and ti failed so i bought a brand new one with a lifetime warranty and went ahead and got a new battery.  i put it on yesterday and the light is still on. the ground wire is in the right place and so is the flow. the belt is tight as i can get it. the battery is new. i brought new battery clamps and put them on and the alternator light is STILL on. i just need help as soon as possible on whats wrong before my battery drains again.  i drive the car everyday to school and work.  its my DD.  so i only have a minimum of about 3 days before the battery goes dead again. if ANYONE has suggestions PLEASE let me know! I really really appreciate it!
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2008 at 1:08PM
the voltage regulator is separate on your car, and is tucked way behind the battery, be sure to change that, and to check the 4 pin connector for corrosion
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2008 at 1:52PM
where do i check the voltage regulator and the 4 pin connector at?

when i put the new batt. clamps on i had to cut the old ones off and strip the coating around the cables to get wire sticking out and it was all corroded in there. i was going to buy two new cables but the guy auto zone was pushing me to just buy the clamps...
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2008 at 2:06PM
the cables and clamps being bad will not drain your battery.  

find the voltage regulator behind the battery,  its a square metal box maybe 4 inches by 4 inches.  replace it with a new one if you never have changed it,    it has a flat connector on one side, when you pull it apart, check the 4 pins for corrosion. if they are all tight with no corrosion you can reuse it, otherwise autozone probably has them you can splice in.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2008 at 3:20PM
so do you think this would be the issue of my alternator draining my battery within like 3 days.  because this is just getting old and im tired of buying stuff that people say you need and it doesnt even fix the problem. 
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2008 at 4:11PM
well,  you can have other things that drain a battery, like stereos, etc. but nothing will keep your alt light on other than your alternator or your regulator.    most likely, your battery is not getting drained, but rather tiy are running the whole car on nothing but the battery, and it eventually goes dead.
 heres a trick, before you do anything... start the car up , and then remove the positive battery cable. if the engine dies your alternator or regulator is at fault (assuming the rest of the charging system wiring is good)
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2008 at 2:39PM
ok so i just started my car and took the positive cable off and the car still kept running. so im i guess that means its not my alternator. i just went to the bank and i have no money. actually -1.50 (( now the bank is gonna charge me like 25 from me going over... )) so if i have to buy something thats out of the question until thursday. 

any other suggestions? thanks for all the help so far ramair
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2008 at 2:57PM
sound like your alternator is charging. is the light still on?  if so your regulator may still be at fault there, acting erratic.   do you have anything assed to your car that could cause a draw on your battery? amps, stereos, alarms, etc?   there is a procedure to test for circuit draws we could go through if you think thats a problem
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2008 at 3:10PM
yeah the light is still on.  i dont know why the regulator would be doing it its brand new. but if i need a new one its got a lifetime warranty on it.  the day i put it on it tested 45 amps on a 61 amp alternator. but my belt was a little lose and so i tightened it. i havnt gotten it tested again.  but no i dont have anything stereo wise. its all original and stock. i dont even listen to the radio because i get only 2 channels. 
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2008 at 9:40AM
check your voltage with car running at battery with volt meter should be about 13.5-14 volts.pulling off cable is bad idea if alt is good it will put out maximum voltage like 16-18 volts and fry things.works great when it is alt.as tight as you can with belt is bad.you want to be able to pull on belt 1/2 - 3/4 in. in center of longest stretch between alt pulley and crank pulley or try to turn alt pulley by hand when you cant turn it any more go a little bit tighter . lose is better or you kill bearings,alt/water pump/crank.now heres what might help now check for 13.5 -14 steady volts at batt running, if thats ok turn off eng. diconnect batt. cable put volt meter probes between terminal and cable to see if you have a drain[acting like leaving lights on and killing battery over night] you can do this with a light bulb from car [dome light bulb]if you have a drain[draw] leave battery disconnected when your not driving it till you can fix.you might just have corroded charge  wire from alt to solonoid on batt cable side.
michigan
351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2008 at 3:45PM
wow. this is more difficult than i thought it would be. how do i get a volt meter? can i just take to auto zone and have them check it with a volt meter?  i would just take it to a shop but i dont have the money. im not good with the electrical area on cars.
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2008 at 11:43PM
you can buy a voltmeter at autozone fro probably $10 or so, but the alt has to be on the car and engine running to perform that test.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2008 at 6:07AM
yeah the alt is on the car and everything. i guess i will go buy one or something once i get paid tomorrow and see whats up.
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 3:52AM
That's why I dumped the old Ford alternator and regulator. I switched to a 150 amp one-wire alternator and never looked back. The old Ford charging system is junk and you should stop waisting your money on old tech parts. http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0704_classic_ford_mustang_single_wire_alternator_install/index.html

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 12:21PM
there is nothing wrong with the stock torino charging system ( especially if you strive for the look of originality) when you have quality components (stay away from the auto zones), and its wired properly.   I had my old D30E motorcraft alternator rebuilt by a local shop, bought a new motorcraft regulator and battery, and looked over over every wire carefully. that was 12 years ago.       No problems ever. 
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 2:46PM
yeah this alternator is from auto zone. im taking it to the shop tomorrow for them to do a diagnostics test on it or whatever and check everything electrical. my blinker lights just went out today to so i believe thats a fuse
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2008 at 5:23PM
  did you try a light bulb from the car between battery post and disconnected battery cable with key off and doors closed to see if it lights up?   did you try leaving battery cable disconnected over night?? it sounds like when your alternator fell apart it may have ruined your voltage regulator. a junkyard should have bunch of them and if they have a heart $2-$3 for it, not a big selling part

Edited by stuck - 16-March-2008 at 5:37PM
michigan
351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2008 at 7:42AM

yeah i guess i'll try the junkyard for a voltage regulator.  they have like two rows of old ford trucks so i figured they would be the same right? the weird thing is though that its been over a week and the alt. light is still on but my battery hasnt drained. the other times it was happening it happened within like 3 days. so maybe its lying to me and saying that theres something wrong but really there isnt.

stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2008 at 1:59PM
  junkyards sounds ok  find one that has not been in water.and about 4in. x 1 1/2 in. deep if its about 3 in. deep and you can see the resistors on back side avoid it because you will have better luck with new style.you might want to plug the new one in before you bolt it on to make sure all terminals connect.that dummy light might not be right but somthing is wrong.good luck.dont kick the car its usualy something simple just hard to find sometimes.

Edited by stuck - 17-March-2008 at 2:00PM
michigan
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2008 at 3:38PM
i once had an old fairmont that i took the regulator out and drove the car for a week and a half before i remembered to put it back in.  my light never came on.  go figure.   you can find that style of regulator in cars and trucks up through the mid 1980's , anything with the 70 or 100 amp big case alternator . even early taurus's.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2008 at 11:04AM
The problem is autozone,junk parts,never buy anything but car cleaning stuff there and oil.These big corporate companies use the cheapest contractors for there parts nothing but problems.What good  is a lifetime warranty if you have to go back every month?I had bought a new voltage reg for my 85 ford truck once and it was bad out of the box.This was years back and not from autozone either,just a lot of junk out htere.Use napa if you have one near you of ford.Angry
351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2008 at 6:12PM
yeah im gonna start going to napa. lucky for me there is one 1.1 miles from my house =)
 Post Reply Post Reply