The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas tank Hole

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas tank Hole
    Posted: 11-May-2015 at 2:16AM

Not my Torino, but 1/8" hole in lowest part of gas tank. Will JB Weld Steel Stick fix this?

By the way, it takes 10 hours to drain 16 gallons of gas through 1/8" hole using only gravity. I was in no hurry.

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 3:33AM
JB will work in a pinch if the surfaces are clean, dry, and not rusty, but a solid tank would be better.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 3:33AM
I'll some other more experienced folks chime in as well, but here is my experience:

About 10-15 years ago the 73 Sport had a fuel tank leak. At the time I bought one of those fuel tank patch kits (I'm going to guess it was essentially JB Weld or similar). I smeared it on and it actually worked well. 

I got a dab on my driveway (nickel size). To this day it is still there!

I wish I knew what kit exactly I had purchased, but that was so long ago. However, I would suspect JB Weld is about as good as it gets.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 3:36AM
Yes - Joe is right that a new tank is the way to go. The 22 gallon 72/73 tank is not available anymore, but the 26.5 is. And it is pretty cheap. I got it for my 75 Sport. Very nice tank. The neck seals are still available from Ford, as are the top vent and its seal. 

It is a Spectra F4A tank. Made in Canada. Again, I was very impressed with it.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 9:51AM
You may be able to fix the gas-hole LOL, but with gas as expensive as it is... you know the patch will eventually fail, as soon as you are in a remote location with a full tank. As a temporary measure, sure, but....
I would be watching for a new one.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 1:50PM
Well, I ordered a new tank.  I was ashamed to admit it is for a 1981 Cutlass LS 4dr. AM Autoparts had a new one for $100 free shipping. I am so used to hunting parts you can't find, it's easy to forget the massive popularity of the 1981 Cutlass and its fine GM craftsmanship.

Thanks
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 2:14PM
81 cutlass 4-door... V8???
Randy
1979 T-Bird
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 2:27PM
Originally posted by wideone wideone wrote:

Not my Torino, but 1/8" hole in lowest part of gas tank. Will JB Weld Steel Stick fix this?

By the way, it takes 10 hours to drain 16 gallons of gas through 1/8" hole using only gravity. I was in no hurry.

You guys didn't read his postingEmbarrassed
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 2:36PM
Nope..3.8 V6.  This was my mom's car. Don't know what to do with it but it needs to run.
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 3:06PM

Well, I ordered a new tank.  I was ashamed to admit it is for a 1981 Cutlass LS 4dr. AM Autoparts had a new one for $100 free shipping. I am so used to hunting parts you can't find, it's easy to forget the massive popularity of the 1981 Cutlass and its fine GM craftsmanship.

Thanks

Don't you mock that fine piece of machinery.

<----- Owns a 1981 Cutlass Calais 3.8 V6 and just got rid of a 1986 Cutlass Supreme 4 door after 17 years of ownership

Edited by GTW - 11-May-2015 at 3:07PM
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 3:29PM
Nothing wrong with that 3.8... just unbolt it, put it on the floor in the corner and drop in an Oldsmobile 350. Fits right in and wakes the car up!!!
Randy
1979 T-Bird
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 3:31PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Nothing wrong with that 3.8... just unbolt it, put it on the floor in the corner and drop in an Oldsmobile 350. Fits right in and wakes the car up!!!

My '86 actually had that exact swap done, but the guy left the V6 radiator in so it always overheated. Went to scrap as a complete car. My '81 has 139k on the 3.8 and it hasn't let me down. I'd tear it down, strengthen it, and add a turbo before swapping anything.

Edited by GTW - 11-May-2015 at 3:31PM
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 3:37PM
139k... how you keeping the rods in it???
Usually these turned into an external combustion engine, or a piston would go on vacation thru the oil pan or the side of the block...
Randy
1979 T-Bird
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 3:50PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

139k... how you keeping the rods in it???
Usually these turned into an external combustion engine, or a piston would go on vacation thru the oil pan or the side of the block...

Nope, no rod or piston malfunctions to report (knock on wood). Also dropped a 1978 3.8 V6 from our Skylark in our 1953 Chevy Suburban that runs awesome. Haven't hooked anything up yet.

Only "mod" is the chrome valve covers. Stock Rochester Dualjet.

It gets a bit cranky in the cold, but it'll always fire up:

Made in July 1986 as a 3.8 car, bought by us in January 1998, scrapped in April 2015:

Sorry for the overload Embarrassed

BTW, wrong section wideone? 

Edited by GTW - 11-May-2015 at 3:50PM
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2015 at 2:31AM
OK, I've had a few Olds, but the biggest money pit (but eventually fun) one I had was a 1981 Delta 88 Royale 4 door 350 diesel. I drove it for 3 months and, after breaking down multiple times, I went for a gas-burner swap. Some friends of mine owned B&B Auto parts (big junkyard) here, and I paid them to swap in a 350 smog motor. They loved to joke around, so after a couple of days I checked in to see the progress. They had my Delta hooked to the overhead beam (tall warehouse) and winched up off the ground straight up and down. Front bumper pointing to the sky. No drivetrain or tank, pointed vertically, that big car looked absolutely huge. Pretty strong car, as it didn't affect it a bit. After laughing, then cursing them out, they said the would have it ready at the end of the week. Sure enough, I stopped by on Friday and it was sitting ready to go. Hopped in it and fired it up. Sounded pretty strong when I fired it up for a smog 350, but I figured it was that I was used to the diesel. Turns out, the stuck a stout early model 455 and a Turbo 400 in it. Loved those guys. You never knew what they would pull out of their hats. Fastest Delta 88 in Chattanooga and to this day, it still sticks in my mind as one of GM's finest looking cars. Light blue metallic with the dark blue top and interior. Wire wheelcovers and all.

Edited by unlovedford - 12-May-2015 at 2:33AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2015 at 4:22AM

Damn, there is a lot of room down in there.  Nope, not going to do it.

But I do need a right front door if anyone has one laying around.

GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2015 at 4:56AM

Damn, there is a lot of room down in there.  Nope, not going to do it.

But I do need a right front door if anyone has one laying around.

Mine was dented/scratched from hitting mailboxes on our USPS route, but Pull-A-Part usually has a couple 4 door Bonnevilles. 
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2015 at 5:03AM
Mom had a close encounter with a beauty shop wall.  Shortly after that, "mysterious" electrical problems kept her off the road.
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2015 at 3:13PM
For those of you still on the edge of your seats, the new tank was a must. After I rubbed the 1/8" pin hole, it became a dime sized hole.

But, on my test ride,lost the brakes today. Managed to get home, and due to the large puddle of black stuff at the right rear wheel, it was easy to find the problem. The wheel cylinder push rod had come out, which it shouldn't even be possible.  

Bought shoes, cylinders and hardware, only to find out the wheel cylinders are held in place by a clip, not two bolts. Quick check of the Internet reveals hell is just around the corner.

What a bunch of crap for a car I don't need. I am glad I didn't sell it to some one with this problem lurking.

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2015 at 3:44PM
I have a piece of pipe I ground down to make a punch to install those hold in clips when I was working in a shop.
They are a royal PIA!!!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2015 at 1:38PM
Well, that went better than I expected. Used the two screwdriver punch it down and duck method and got it back together. What a crap design.

Post Reply Post Reply