The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'71 Torino Tachometer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeoilsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '71 Torino Tachometer
    Posted: 15-May-2015 at 5:15AM
Hi. Can anybody tell about adding a factory tach to my '71? I picked up one about 6 years ago and just installed it yesterday. It has continuity across the leads. I just ordered the tach wire / plugs from Dearborn classics. It looks as if it mounts in the firewall? Where?? Will I need anymore wiring or is it just a matter of moving some wires around??? I have the dealer vacuum / wiring book but it does not show the tach wiring. Thanks!!  
snakeoilsam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeoilsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2015 at 5:00AM
Never mind. I found a hole that I plugged last year and put the loom in it. The ignition wire plug was right next to the hole. Unplugged and re-plugged. Car started and tach works fine. I read several posts about using the tach. One person wrote that having the clock is better. I agree. But I had the tach so I'm going to use it. As far as tachs go, I found a steering column mount, 4k rpm tach with a 3" face about 10 years ago on ebay. I was questioned (ridiculed) about the 4k rpm and told that I should have bought one that was 8k. My answer is this.... A tach that is 8k rpm is not as exact as a 4k rpm tach. Just as the Ford ribbon tach will only give you a ballpark of the rpm, so will a tach that has the lines squeezed in. The 4k rpm tach was put on a '68 GT/CS with a 289 / 2V. I will never rev it over 3500 rpm so why would I need one that goes to 6 or 8k? I use my tachs to keep an eye on idle and cruising rpm. Happy motoring!! 
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2015 at 3:55AM
A 4k tach is probably from a boat, I used to have one too, cool looking
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

threedwizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threedwizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2016 at 6:35PM
Was your Torino factory equipped with the tach, or did you just buy a tach and the harness?

Thanks
1971 Torino GT Convertible
Philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 8:07AM
If the car came with one from the factory where would it have been?

mine is a 71 Torino 500 converted to 5spd and no console. did these car come with consoles? 

thanks
Phil
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 9:57AM
 i believe they were in the lower part of the dash below the speedo???
i believe some were available with a console?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 10:19AM
I'll see if your friend Troy has something.

thanks again
Phil
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 1:41PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 3:00PM
The 1970-71 Torino Tach is on the left side of the dash, below the speedometer.  It was a ribbon style tachometer.  It was a little gimmicky, but kind of cool.

Here is a video of one in action:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 4:24PM
That is too cooool !! Clap

Thanks
Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply