The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'71 Torino 500 Drum brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuzzintom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '71 Torino 500 Drum brake conversion
    Posted: 18-May-2015 at 6:56AM
Good day.

My son just purchased a really nice '71 500. He would like to add disc brakes to the front axle and a power brake system as well. We got sticker shock when we saw the cost of the disc brake kits (many of the kits are more than we paid for the car), thought we'd research options.

I have 2 questions: 1) What disc brake systems from other Ford cars will fit the Torino? 2) What considerations (other than new booster and master cylinder) will we need to consider when adding power brakes?

An add-on question...from which electronic ignition system(s) have the forum members had good results?

Many thanks...
Cuzzintom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuzzintom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2015 at 3:35PM
Cuzzintom again...I have it on good authority that the spindles on the V8 Granada ('75-'79) are bolt-on replacements for the drum spindles on the 1971 Torino. Has anyone used the Granada spindles? Are there challenges to installing these? I appreciate your input.
Chief1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2015 at 8:43PM
Looking to do the same conversion on my 71 Torino 500. Did you happen to find a cheaper alternative than the very expensive aftermarket disk brake conversions??
71 Torino 500. 302 30 over 11:1 domes, MSD Ignition, TCI Trans, Detroit Locker rear with 3:70 gears.. Good summer day cruiser..
Cuzzintom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuzzintom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2015 at 5:42AM
Good afternoon...I posted a "Wanted" ad on Craigslist...guy contacted me with everything I need from a Torino...purchased for $425...I will need to purchase rotors and bearings. 

Luckily, I have found a few needed parts via Craigslist...give that try. You never know who is watching.

Take care.

Tom
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2015 at 3:41PM
there was something on here about granada parts, but i don't remember the details.

also proportioning valve will need to be used from the booster/master combo for the discs
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply