Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intake Manifold Vaccuum Port

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intake Manifold Vaccuum Port
    Posted: 19-March-2008 at 5:39PM
This question is actually related to my '71 F-250.

I am getting ready to do a top-end refresh on it (ie, new carb, distro, coil, intake, small parts, etc) - just bought it last fall. Pretty rough engine, other than the long block has only 20,000 miles on it (nothing else was replaced at the time... It shows.)

Anyway, I was looking at many of the connectors for replacement. Some of the intake coolant connectors I will switch over to a 1-port instead of 2 (eliminating the carb coolant pass-through), etc. The vaccuum port looked a bit rough as well, and I'd rather just replace it. It is currently a 3-port (one large for power brake, two small - only one in use for trans).

The new intake is an Edelbrock performer. Is there a source to get new vaccuum ports to screw into the intake?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2008 at 4:42PM
Scott-
I would tell you to use the referance port off the new carb {assuming aftermarket unit, and not rebuilt motorcraft}.
There was a discussion on the cobra forum, and general thought bad to run off manifold, the designers have that port on the carb for a reason.
I am rrunning both my 600 cfm performer carbs on the '79 400 and the '70 351c in the GTS, referanced the port on the carbs.

Andy
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2008 at 6:04PM

Andy,

So in my case, I am using an Edelbrock 1406 (performer, electric choke), it has a 3/8 NPT (I believe) blocked port in the back.... That is what I'd use for the power brake booster, and then find another 1/8" port for the transmission modulator? I could easily get a screw-in adapter for the 3/8" hose.

Those are the only two vacuum requirements on the truck... Pickups were always about 5 years behind the cars it seems.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2008 at 6:36PM
Scott-
I guess I was not paying super close attention, I was more thinking as far as the advance for the distributor, assuming it's a standard duraspark or regular performance unit.
As far as the vacuum lines for the booster and modulator are concerned, I'd actually have to look on my '79 400, I am not too sure.
I have an old Edelbrock torker 400 intake on there, and I think I used the port on the back of the carb, with a brass block screwed into it for the brakes and the transmission.  My 302 with the RPM airgap intake with my '84 F150 was setup the same, because that carb was taken off the 302 when I sold the truck and I left the setup the same.
Let me see about getting a picture, I'l try posting something this weekend.
I found my stuff that came with my 1406, it shows a 1/4" NPT fitting.
I would runa brass "T", for the booster, and the trans line. Otherwise, on mt intake the is a threaded port up front for manifold pressure.
Also, the two 3/16" ports-the side with the fuel inlet-I call it the passenger side-is the timed vacuum port. For emission controlled engines. The driver side shows to be the manifold vacuum port. for non-emission controlled engines.

Torino:

F150:
{never mind the red arrow, only pic I could find of the f series}
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2008 at 5:49AM
http://performancesst.com/customer/home.php
Here is a company that makes several vacuum ports and heater hose fittings.

You can buy their products through Summit.

I purchased a heater hose fitting, vacuum port and vacuum fittings for the port.

I just received them and they fit the Edelbrock Intake just fine.

It was pricey, and I could care less about the "shiny steel" look, but it was exactly what I wanted, and I was willing to pay the price.

Summit Part Numbers of what I ordered:

PRS-1041
PRS-1042
PRS-1044
PRS-1046
PRS-1052

I got one extra size of vacuum port just in case.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply