The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

429 Swap Into 73 Torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrisu92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 429 Swap Into 73 Torino
    Posted: 09-June-2015 at 3:12PM
I have been trying to get my 429 into my torino but i have been having problems getting the correct motor mounts. Do you guys recommend any sites i should check out so i can drop this motor into the car? I have herd good and bad about crites and can not seem to find any private sellers at the moment. Thank you for all the help.
1973 Ford Gran Torino
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2015 at 8:23PM
You can buy the cradle style mount from summit, that would probably work quite well or just make custom sheet metal mounts in a pinch

Tinman fabrication mounts are excellent too if you don't mind welding to the chassis
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:03AM
Crites is the ONLY one who makes these mounts right now.

Big Block people have NO CHOICE right now unless you find some take-offs or NOS somewhere.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Chrisu92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrisu92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:14AM
Have you used these mounts before? I just want to make sure they work before I buy them.
1973 Ford Gran Torino
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:32AM
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-9313/overview/year/1973/make/ford/model/gran-torino

http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=90/category_id=88/mode=prod/prd90.htm

These were the ones I was talking about, bit more fabrication but having used the tinman 440 mounts they are beautifully made and fitted perfectly. Come with new hardware too so all you need to do is weld the tabs to the chassis somewhere
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Chrisu92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrisu92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:52AM
Okay yeah. I have seen those. My only problem would be the welding. I was just trying to look for some stock ones. But I might check those out.
1973 Ford Gran Torino
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 10:38AM
Crites are the ones that everyone here with the 429/460 use.

They are direct bolt in.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:11PM
The Crites mounts work well if you can't find NOS. They are not an EXACT copy but they do a good job. There are other ways to do the job, but the Crites mounts are a  bolt-in, no-fuss way to do the job.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 5:47AM
Just out of curiosity what is the difference between the stock and crites mounts as far as motor placement goes?
-Billy Conturo
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 3:39PM
i'm assuming the stock 460 mounts are just like the factory v-8 monza mounts...parts stores look at you like your stupid because they aren't available anymore??? or am i just missing something here?Embarrassed
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 11:38PM
  From what I have heard and/or read, the Crites mounts are a bit shorter than the factory motor mounts, this causes the engine/headers/accessories to be placed closer to the chassis and in some cases cause interference. It seems they are lower about 3/8"(give or take 1/8"), not entirely sure. If you want to use Hooker 6126 headers(or possibly factory exhaust manifolds), try to find factory mounts or you can add a 3/8" plate to the Crites mounts where it attaches to the engine block to get the engine placed correctly for sufficient clearances. Here is a link to a person using Crites mounts in a '73, hope this info helps. Good luck, Todd 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2015 at 2:52PM
The engine mounts from the 72-76 Ford t-birds (all big block cars) will be the correct engine mounts for your project. (same engine cradle as torino) I have used them on both of my rancheros 74-79 and they bolt right up. Also the 72-76 torino (2,4 DR and wagon),74-76 cougar/elite, 72-76 montego (2,4 DR and wagon are all cars that if set up with the 429.460 will have the correct engine mounts.  
Tim1859 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim1859 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2015 at 2:24PM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

The engine mounts from the 72-76 Ford t-birds (all big block cars) will be the correct engine mounts for your project. (same engine cradle as torino) I have used them on both of my rancheros 74-79 and they bolt right up. Also the 72-76 torino (2,4 DR and wagon),74-76 cougar/elite, 72-76 montego (2,4 DR and wagon are all cars that if set up with the 429.460 will have the correct engine mounts.  

And 72-76 Lincoln Mark IV
Former owner of '73 GTS and current wannabe
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2015 at 2:13AM
Rock Auto has them for ~$15/ea.

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2015 at 9:56AM
Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

Rock Auto has them for ~$15/ea.

Usually, they're selling the fullsize mount as the torino mount. Their site is wrong. Even if they have the correct insulators, you would need the block plate half. (Also unavailable).
Easier to use the Crites mounts.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2015 at 3:27PM
I put a 429 into my car without buying any aftermarket mounts. As one of the other members stated, you can find stock BBF mounts on eBay, Rock auto, Autozone and Checker.
You have to build em to drive em!
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2015 at 5:12PM
The ones at the auto parts stores including RockAuto are wrong last time I checked. They are actually for Ford full size cars.
-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply