The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing Truck 302/C4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing Truck 302/C4
    Posted: 10-June-2015 at 2:25PM
A few months ago, we bought a running 302 with C4 for $100 to put in my 1973 Gran Torino wagon. This drivetrain came out of a truck. After some comparing, the truck's transmission looks bigger than mine and I am wondering if it's even going to fit. The end of the truck transmission is also different. How should I go about installing this? My Torino is an original 302/C4 car. I know I'm gonna have to pull the mounts off my original block and put them on this truck engine.

Pics of the engine and transmission:

Original transmission and driveshaft:

Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 2:37PM
In the GM world, a truck th400 or th350 trans is different than the same car trans. Even if it is a 2wd.

Edited by kychevyguy - 10-June-2015 at 2:59PM
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 2:57PM
looks like the truck tranny has a u-bolt type yoke for the driveline... you need to measure and compare the u-joint cap width and diameter if they are the same  you're one step closer, are the trannys the same length from the block to the center of the u-joint caps (yoke)? now that i'm thinking about this that won't work because the drive line wouldn't have a slip yoke for differential movement Confused ( the truck probably had a two piece drive line with the slip yoke in the middle with a carrier bearing!) probably going to need to find a good car tranny or swap the tailshaft and housing with your old tranny (bad news is: the tranny will need to be disassembled to get at the tail shaft)
 but on a positive note... $100 for a good running motor, even if you can't use the tranny! Thumbs Up

Edited by californiajohnny - 10-June-2015 at 3:01PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 2:58PM
The transmission that is connected to you new engine is a C5 transmission, not a C4. They were installed in ford cars and trucks from 1982 through 1986.

The C5 is essentially a C4 with a lock-up clutch in the torque converter to improve highway fuel economy.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:03PM
Use the motor, chuck the trans. Bigger isn't the problem, the flanged output shaft is. (Can't vouch for trans mount location either.)
You may have to swap oil pans/pick-up tubes as well.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:08PM
^^^ yes the pans may be different, good point!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:24PM
That tranny won't work!
Not sure if you can swap out the rear portion or not but.

That tranny is out of a "HighBoy" that has a separate shaft from the tranny to the disconnected transfer case or an extended wheel base truck where the shaft runs back to a carrier bearing.
The rear yoke being solid mounted will not work on a car with a direct attached shaft to the suspension travel rear end.

yes the oil pan and pick up tube need to be replaced with a front sump car set up.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:29PM
So essentially I might as well build that 347 stroker out of my original block I've been dreaming of, and rebuild my original transmission, adding a GearVendors overdrive later. I won't even ask about trying to put this thing in my Maverick then. Thanks for the help everyone - I had no idea the C5 existed, nor did I know this was an 80s engine/trans. I guess I'll have a spare engine in case mine blows up somehow. I had considered the oil pan being dofferent but not the pickup lines, and I was hoping the pan would be the same anyway.

Reusing my original transmission raises another question - My Torino hasn't moved under its own power since 1979 because the transmission lost all forward gears. A while back I read a post by Rockatansky expressing disbelief that a C4 would be in a wagon, and he said that Ford jipped whoever bought my car new, LOL. Would I be okay with having the C4 in the wagon even with loads and such, with a bored/stroked engine? (Block has been in the engine bay without an intake manifold, pistons, heads, etc since '79).
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:30PM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

That tranny won't work!
Not sure if you can swap out the rear portion or not but.

That tranny is out of a "HighBoy" that has a separate shaft from the tranny to the disconnected transfer case or an extended wheel base truck where the shaft runs back to a carrier bearing.
The rear yoke being solid mounted will not work on a car with a direct attached shaft to the suspension travel rear end.

yes the oil pan and pick up tube need to be replaced with a front sump car set up.

Might as well take this trans off, clean it up and slap it on CL then!
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:35PM
If you build the 347 just get an AOD. WHOLE LOT LESS money!

Yeah good pics and the casting numbers on CL or the Ford truck pages.
Ask Paul Potvin or Greg Pence on FB what that tranny is.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2015 at 3:41PM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

If you build the 347 just get an AOD. WHOLE LOT LESS money!

Yeah good pics and the casting numbers on CL or the Ford truck pages.
Ask Paul Potvin or Greg Pence on FB what that tranny is.

I'll have to read up on some AOD swap threads and keep a lookout for Supercoupes in my local junkyard. Missed out on a white on red '90 SC with 112k they got in - won't let that happen again.
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 2:58AM
That is an earlier model 302. Good engine. Keep it and use it. Sell the transmission on CL (I have that same exact transmission sitting in my garage out of a long bed F100 I parted out).

C4 transmissions did come in wagons. My red wagon has a dinky 3 speed manual, so a C4 is nothing to sneeze at. They can be built to handle tremendous power. However, an AOD is the way to go. Just be sure to get the TV cable and all accessories with it when you get one.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 4:04AM
"A while back I read a post by Rockatansky expressing disbelief that a C4 would be in a wagon, and he said that Ford jipped whoever bought my car new, LOL. Would I be okay with having the C4 in the wagon even with loads and such, with a bored/stroked engine?" -GTW

My dad's original wagon had a C4 transmission as well....Here is the Marti report:

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 4:39AM
Joe, I'll keep the engine and change the oil pan and pickup tubes so it can be a spare for the Torino if needed. Trans is definitely going on CL.

Carlos, I had heard that C4's could handle a ton of power likecJoe said but I was afraid my transmission would still break again after I rebuilt it. Did yours ever break?

Maybe we should make a Marti Report compilation thread...

Edited by GTW - 11-June-2015 at 4:39AM
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 4:44AM
Originally posted by GTW GTW wrote:

Joe, I'll keep the engine and change the oil pan and pickup tubes so it can be a spare for the Torino if needed. Trans is definitely going on CL.

Carlos, I had heard that C4's could handle a ton of power likecJoe said but I was afraid my transmission would still break again after I rebuilt it. Did yours ever break?

Maybe we should make a Marti Report compilation thread...

No, actually the motor and transmission (302/C4) out of my Dad's wagon went into a 4DR Gran Torino that was later given to my Aunt who drove it till the wheels fell off. That combo had to have had over 200K miles on them.   
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 4:47AM
Maybe my transmission had some sort of defect in it, or maybe grandpa abused it a little too much on his USPS route. My car's only logged 35,000 miles.
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 5:03AM
If that is a 302, it is a 1968 to 1972 model. Old script covers, no EGR on intake, old vacuum advance, old filtered fuel pump, old style oil cap, big plug heads. You may have a good engine there with better compression than a later version.

Transmission is a sellable item to someone that needs that application. They are far more rare than a splined-output unit.

Shots of mine. I have it on CL for $200 and have interest. It is sitting next to a grimy 1965 model Cruise-O-Matic 3 speed that was mated to a 200 engine.

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 6:32AM
I have a '65 3 speed automatic too, connected to a 200 with a bent crank, both out of a Falcon. Nice to know that we'll make some money on this even by just selling half of what we bought.
Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2015 at 7:08AM
Ha. This COM (actually have 2 of them) was out of a 1965 Falcon. LOL.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply