The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

STARTING ISSUE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STARTING ISSUE
    Posted: 16-June-2015 at 6:33AM
I have a 1976 Gran Torino that only comes out of the garage a couple times a year and I seem to be having a intermittent starting issue with it. I had it in a parade last year outside temps were around 90 degrees and the car just quit like you turned the key off. Would not restart towed it home and later that night it started right up. Everyone at work told me it was the electronic ignition box on the fender. I bought 1 from a Ford dealer NOS . Started the car on and off since then but took it out to the car show this past Sunday no problem till I went to leave and it wouldn't start. Parked car around 9:00 AM and set in sun all day in 90 degree temps till 2:00PM and wouldn't start. Towed home put in garage at night checked spark getting spark and started right up. Don't know if was getting spark when wouldn't  start or not. Was getting fuel at time when wouldn't start tried starting fluid but wouldn't start.Thought  maybe was flooded but that didn't work. Any ideas would be great.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2015 at 7:19AM
Sounds very similar to the problem I had with my '76 Montego when I first got it.  I swapped out the ignition box on the fender with one from Advance Auto parts, and haven't had a problem since.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2015 at 8:24AM

Sorry incase need to know 351W 4V  with 600 Holley carb

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2015 at 12:20PM
i'm thinking the ignition box too, could be a coil, but i'd try a box first
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2015 at 12:21PM
Could be a number of things, like ignition switch, ignition coil, magnetic pickup (inside distributor) or it's wiring. The fender mounted modules were notorious for going out when hot then work once again when allowed to cool. Have a check of the wiring at the starter solenoid and/or the fusible links could be the culprit. Good luck and keep us posted. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2015 at 5:17AM
Next time it does this, ice down the box and see if it starts up then and there.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2015 at 5:51AM
Thanks for advise guys. I will keep you posted when I figure out the problem. I did install new box last year though when problem 1st arose.
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2015 at 2:11AM
Input please! What brand coil do you all prefer MSD or Accel ?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2015 at 9:29AM
An MSD 24F would be a direct replacement, uses factory-like "horseshoe" connection, so it's almost plug-in and play.  

Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2015 at 6:15AM
Finally got the car to act up and I have traced it to the distributor pick up . Now I am having trouble getting the distributor out of the block. Never had that problem before. Will not move. I sprayed it down with PB Blaster last night.Hopefully  it will come out tonight.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2015 at 6:59AM
The magnetic pick-up can be replaced without having to remove the distributor from the block. Here is some instructions (along with ignition advance changes).

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2015 at 3:03PM
do exactly like the instructions say, works like a breeze.  just don't lose the tiny roll pins! I've done a few in car like this and it works well.
Mike
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2015 at 3:24PM
It should have also stated in the directions, in step 3 there should be a pic of the removal of a snap ring/wire, that holds the mag pick-up in place on the distributor shaft.

Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 7:00AM
Thanks for the information. You guys on here are really helpful.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 7:17AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

It should have also stated in the directions, in step 3 there should be a pic of the removal of a snap ring/wire, that holds the mag pick-up in place on the distributor shaft.
Here is a pic I found online of the snap ring/wire that keeps the magnetic pickup secured to the baseplate, but allows it to rotate.
[​IMG]

artd View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 12:43PM
may want to think about pickup inside distributor, they do overheat
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2015 at 6:30AM
Got her running now thanks a lot guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply