The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 58 Rancheros. Anyone know about pricing on these?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

58 Rancheros. Anyone know about pricing on these?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 58 Rancheros. Anyone know about pricing on these?
    Posted: 17-June-2015 at 10:14AM
Looking at maybe buying a 58 here to fix up and sell.

I am not asking for opinions on flipping carsTongue
And I am not asking whether this particular car is worth the asking price.Tongue
Those are the answers I got on a Ranchero specific forum. Cry

What I am asking is in general what sort of price range are 58s selling for?

Starting at your basic rust free runs and drives but needs paint/minor work etc, to nicely done cars. Not full frame off restos though.

I haven't been able to find out pretty much anything about this year. Maybe they are too rare?

thanks,
Russ
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2015 at 10:17AM
look at completed ebay items ?
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2015 at 10:22AM
Good idea.
Looked there for current, only has 1 listed, and it is an Ed-chero. And does it look ugly to me. Very nicely done, but Disapprove
Thanks,
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2015 at 10:35AM

If anyone else has any input feel free. Big smile

Hmm, Only 2 listed. Don't know if I can go back further than this year's listings.

$6700 for a rat rod version with a newer 302 and C4. Lots of little stuff not working, and needer rockers replaced.

Over $18K for a fully restored perfect car.

The rat rod was actually from here. Not sure I would do the rat rod look, but this car is closer to what I would be doing. although I would hope to have everything working, he didn't.

I am not a fan of selling cars on ebay, but that might have to happen to get better money.

So this might be worthwhile. Problem I have is I might not want to sell it once it is done. And I would have to since I have a business partner who would want his money back. If he is even willing to do this.

Thanks,
Russ
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2015 at 2:49AM
Basically, if you are looking for an investment to make money on, a '58 may not be your best bet. It is true that any early Ranchero is worth money, but a 1957 would be the much better bet - even if the initial outlay of cash is a bit more. The basic body stayed the same, but a completely different front sheetmetal change took the single headlight, clean, classic look of the '57 and changed it in '58 to the 4 eyed far less attractive design Ford used throughout their line. Basically the same situation of the 1957 Chevrolet (classic design) to the hideous 4 eyed 1958 redesign (ghastly, and killed the value).

Basically, if you can find a good running, rust-free '58 needing cosmetic restoration, you would be fine at $3K to $6K. Paint and body work is expensive, interior work not nearly so. If it is complete inside, figure $2-3K there to make it nice there. Then add $2K to $10K+ for paint and body work (depending on the amount needed). Plus exhaust, mechanical work, tires/wheels/trim.

Then look at your restored $18K unit you found on Ebay. Any room in your project for profit, judging by current pricing? How long has the restored unit been on Ebay?

Just some food for thought.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2015 at 8:18AM
Thanks.

I am pretty sure this idea is dead. You raised some points especially about the unpopularity of this year that I had no clue about.
I actually like the 4 headlight design better. But for resale I would think you are right if those aren't as popular. Leave it to me to like the unpopular ones.

Not sure how long the restored one was on Ebay. It sold several months ago. Just not any others around to really get a good idea on price. Only found a couple on a Ranchero site, the listings were just links to Craigslist ads from a couple of years ago. So I have no idea about them.

The one I was considering is listed at $1800. Been on Craigslist at that price quite a while. A 57 in similar condition around here seems to be around $4000 at least.

Odds are this won't happen. If it did I would be doing all the work Probably a Maaco paint job after I did all the bodywork/prep. But it is missing things like bumpers, which if they are a 1 year only deal then that makes things rough. Missing most of the dash stuff (guages, radio, controls, etc). Newer bucket seats.
It also doesn't have the stock engine or transmission( not positive about trans) but has a 32 valve (probably 4.6L) "included". I was thinking basic 302 swap and C4, but then I found out that these had overdrive, which would be nice to have. Could always do the AOD with the 302.

I'm not even sure the guy who would be my partner is even interested. We had a 96 Mustang we were doing, but he screwed up and needed cash immediately so we had to sell it at a loss so he didn't get evicted. Guy had a ton of moneyin a trust fund, but he kept putting off doing the paperwork so he could become the trustee (old trustee got too old and resigned). I learned enough to not want to mess with newer cars. It just needed head gaskets, but on those cars (for me at least) it is not a quick and simple job. So I am sticking with cars I know (carburated, no computers, etc) if we do this again. I want something that is fun to work on, not a pita like the 96 was.

Probably way to much information. Sorry.

Thanks,
Russ
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2015 at 8:59AM
Russ, here's some thoughts...

A rust-free 1958 for $1,800 is quite the temptation. Since it is missing many key parts, then what about this route (if you want to follow through with this idea):

Ditch the 32 valve engine. Great engine, but horrible to install in a non-modular vehicle. Plus you have the electronic nightmare. Install a SBF with a non-electronic AOD, easy to weld in mounts and get it running.

Since the interior is already tainted, Install a nice bench seat out of a 2 door vehicle that is similar in design with understated material. Easy to do, covers the floor, and no console to worry about. Install factory carpet to tie it in. Take what is left of the dash, modify it to accept a modern gauge setup, as is the norm nowadays. Upholster the door panels in the same material as the seat, add any original trim you can find to, again, tie it in and not look butchered. You end up with something that looks nice, ordinary enough to not appear thrown together, and is functional at minimal expense.

Exterior. Build a splash pan for the rear. Eliminates the bumper issue, looks clean. On the front bumper issue, there is a distinct possibility that you can fins a bumper off another version of 1958-1959 Ford that will work. Sand and paint silver to look aluminum/stainless. Dress up the body well by fixing all the imperfections, then have Maaco lather on some paint for you. Slip a couple of $20's into the painter hand when no one is looking and ask him to spray a little extra on it so you can color sand and buff it to a high gloss later. That is a way to take an ordinary paint job and make it look extraordinary. Pick a good color. Black (body must be straight), bright red, white are excellent primary colors that always bring the money. Stay away from trendy colors such as teal, burgundy, orange, purple, etc. "If it does not look factory RIGHT, don't use that color" is always a good motto - keep your personal preferences out of it if it is a flip. Two tone if it has the chrome dividing line. When two toning one of these, always use white as one of the colors followed by a Primary color or pastel as the secondary color. Again, make it look factory so it appeals to the masses. Make it clean.

Wheels and tires. These trucks scream either Torque Thrusts or Steelies with vintage Ford caps and trim rings. No Slots, no Cragars, no ZZ Top-looking wheels, LOL. Again, it has to look the part.

Exhaust. Keep it quietly powerful. The old Y blocks these had were throaty, some had the solid lifter clatter and all sounded mechanical. Stay away from loud, keep it quieter (like originally), like Turbo mufflers or perhaps a factory pair of mufflers. Exit the pipes down under the rear pan by the tailgate. A non-offensive, subdued look is what you are after to bring satisfaction and the real money.

If it looks hacked or that it came from a Rossville Boulevard used car lot, the real money will look elsewhere. Plus, if you keep it, it will increase in value, not look like one of those "custom" jobs we see in the 80's magazines and say "what the hell were they thinking", LOL.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2015 at 10:04AM
That is very close to what I had been thinking of doing. I don't have the metal working skills or tools to be able to fab something like a rear roll pan, but maybe a bumper from something else might work. They used to do that sort of stuff all the time back then. LOL
Here is the car.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/5065697012.html
Obviously I would need to look at in person before committing to anything, but it seems worth the effort.
This wouldn't have to be a short term flip either. I would get it done and take it to the local shows.
Have to talk to my partner (my wife's ex, to be exact) and see. He would be financing the whole thing, then I pay him back his investment plus like 20% of the profit.
Thanks!
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2015 at 3:16PM
thanks, all.
This has become a no-go. My partner/backer does not want to do anything right now, and I couldn't afford to even pay to tow it home, much less buy it.
I know better than to rely on others, but I still tend to try to do it.
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 18-June-2015 at 3:16PM
 Post Reply Post Reply