The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing a 1972 factory vinyl roof.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing a 1972 factory vinyl roof.
    Posted: 01-July-2015 at 5:29AM

Is it possible to remove the factory vinyl roof on a '72 Torino so that any trim attachment posts are not visible after the roof is painted? I guess anything is possible with allot of $, just want to know if removing the vinyl roof is straight forward or a pain in the @$$. I'm guessing that the vinyl trim had hard attachment points in the roof that will be difficult to smooth out. Perhaps the trim was glued like the vinyl itself. Anyone know? Thanks!    
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2015 at 5:05PM
The trim has holes in the body with push clips and studs with nuts.

If it is a Sport roof it is just the 2 pieces along the rear "C-Pillar" area or as we call it the sail panel.

If it is a Formal roof then it is ALOT more involved. Different over the window trim that ENDS at the back of the window for a non-vinyl roof car.
The vinyl roof cars have a full trim line that goes over the window down behind the rear side window, along the sail panel and then across the rear trunk lid area below the window.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
formaltop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formaltop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2015 at 6:41PM
About 1.5 years ago I replaced my vinyl top on my 72 formal. As was stated there is bunch of trim an a formal. To get to all of the fasteners you will have to remove the back seat so you can get the rear sail panels and quarter upholstery panels out. If you end up replacing the vinyl top I sourced the original dark brown, non felted top from SMS and its top notch--not inexpensive though--
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2015 at 3:20AM
Yes, I see the big difference between the sportroof and formal.

I want to completely remove and discard the formal roof and trim. Will the bodywork be extensive to make the studs disappear? Will I need new window trim?

Thanks!
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2015 at 3:22AM
Whoops! I meant "Formal Roof Vinyl Top"LOL
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2015 at 5:36AM
studs no. buzz them off, grind and smooth.  the holes for the studded clips along bottom of rear window will require welding them shut.
Mike
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2015 at 2:19AM
you will need different window trim.  

i did the same thing on mine.  
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
 Post Reply Post Reply