The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiator help, Aluminum?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator help, Aluminum?
    Posted: 13-July-2015 at 11:35AM
I know many have swapped to an Aluminum radiator or even got hold of a OEM style that is 4-core.

Looking to consolidate the info here.

I also need to buy one this week for Lola!

I am looking for a 4 core or an Aluminum that is a DIRECT FIT.
I want to keep the shroud mounted for the factory fan on the engine side.
Going to add a switched electric pusher fan on the front for those high heat times like cruises, parades etc.

Links, info, item #s, companies and actual real world application issues or non issues...

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 11:48AM
Carl,
 I looked high and low for a 4 core radiator for my '79('72-'79 w/ auto uses the same exact radiator), either I couldn't find one or didn't really want to pay for a 1-off specially built unit. I went with a 3 core all aluminum Champion and have been extremely happy with it, part # CC390. Cools my BBF great and it FITS without any issues(at least mine did). You can use the stock style clutch fan or you can go with a single cooling fan (Lincoln Mark VIII or 95-96 T-bird/Cougar) or dual electric cooling fan(Ford Windstar). Gives you lots of options. The dual electric fan fits my BBF better(single fans wouldn't fit correctly), since you are going SBF, both a single or the double assembly is an option. Hope this helps.  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 12:02PM
got a pic?
Did it fit right in with the stock mounts in the stock location?

The 4 core I have from the racecar is apparently from something else as it does not fit, narrower too.
And the one from the Bronco is ALOT TALLER so it won't fit either.

Edited by Regul8r - 13-July-2015 at 12:30PM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 12:19PM
Here are some I took before install, away from Ranchero right now.

This is the Champion installed with my Windstar dual electric cooling fans, tight fit but NO ISSUES.

The Champion CC390 may not be the absolute best built all-aluminum radiator out there, but I have found no fault with it after being installed over 2.5 years and would not hesitate to buy another one. I purchased mine off of Ebay (Oscar's radiator)for about $200 delivered to my door. Construction looks to be really good, although not an aluminum weld inspector. The bottom "brackets" fit the rubber core "saddles" correctly, the upper core brackets(the removable ones that bolt down) may need a bit of tweaking(mine fit correctly, but I drilled the hole in this bracket to move the radiator further away from the engine, very minor). Can't remember if the fan shroud small metal brackets need attention or not, but IIRC it was very minor as well(I obviously don't use the factory shroud). If any other pics are needed, just ask. Good luck. Todd 

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 12:28PM
thanks!
I just found it for $179 on line.

Still looking for other's words of wisdom and experience.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 12:40PM
Anyone see or use these guys?

That is a 3core aluminum.
Maybe it is a common manufacturer part just sold by this company?
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 2:07PM
i haven't had any issues with my stock radiator yet, but i'm keeping an eye on this if needed: same one todd is talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161655038022?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 3:18PM
Ive had three of them with no problems. used with stock shroud. see my build thread on road warrior.
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 4:42PM
excellent info!
looks like the ticket!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 8:08PM
I am thinking about the champion 3-core aluminum. I have a 4-core custom built brass rad, and in the hot highway conditions I drove in across the state a couple weeks ago it had some heat problems.

So for $200 I am willing to give aluminum a try.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 8:19PM
I was just going to get the biggest one that would fit in dimensionally and custom make the mounts to make it suit.

I don't think I'd get enough cooling from an off the shelf ally direct fit rad unless it was for a big block
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 2:29AM
Here is a photo of the above mentioned Champion radiator installed in my wagon with the factory shroud. Very minor tweaking on the upper hold down brackets needed at best, again as mentioned above.

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 2:38AM
What is the part number on that one? Allan has really had good luck with his as well.

Good to see the A/C will work with it!

Edited by unlovedford - 14-July-2015 at 2:38AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 2:45AM
# CC390
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 2:52AM
Thanks, John! Guess I'll order 2 of them. One for this one and one for Stripper.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 2:54AM
  Probably a re-hash but make sure to use a good quality antifreeze AND distilled water only(if you are using a water based coolant).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 2:56AM
Ahh. Distilled water to prevent mineral deposits? Good to know.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 4:16AM
Just ordered 2 Champion CC390 units through Car Parts Discount, $385.89 shipped - pretty good deal, I think.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 6:21AM
I have one as well, fit is not perfect. I can't use the radiator holder clamps, and I had to foam up the side of the shroud to make em seal, some cutting required to clear the lower hose as well.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 4:47PM
My setup is pretty unconventional so it's really not worth going into here.  I had to modify the lower rad support. It holds the temperature fine though. I was really considering the champion radiator but decided to go a different direction. It would have probably worked great for me as-well.

The core count isn't really a good indicator of cooling capacity. Fin density and core volume are much more important things for a radiator. Some of the highest end radiators for the most demanding applications are "single core". When the manufacturing quality is high, material thicknesses can be less and passage volume more precise. I don't know how strict quality control is at Champion but from the pictures it looks like it should be able to cool anything thrown at it. A regular radiator can go a really long way if everything in the cooling system has been maintained really well. 

A totally stock big block torino should easily be able to stay within it's designed temperature operating range in almost all climates as long as all systems have been maintained and are in full working order. I ran the stock big block rad and clutch fan for years. Although the car ran hot it never over-heated even in 90+F stop and go traffic in the sun.

The best upgrade that can be made is electric fans because not only can it pull more air volume but when it's setup right can cut warm-up time in half. I can't believe I ran that clutch fan as long as I did. 

-Billy Conturo
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2015 at 5:39PM
Ordered my CC390 radiator today! Thanks for those who gave the input!!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2015 at 5:03AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

You can use the stock style clutch fan or you can go with a single cooling fan (Lincoln Mark VIII or 95-96 T-bird/Cougar) or dual electric cooling fan(Ford Windstar). Gives you lots of options. The dual electric fan fits my BBF better(single fans wouldn't fit correctly), since you are going SBF, both a single or the double assembly is an option. Hope this helps.  

Aquartlow,

Do you happen to have any info on how you wired the Windstar fans?  I have those fans and will soon be adding them to my Elite.  Thanks.

Edited by SPLUHAR - 21-July-2015 at 5:05AM
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2015 at 7:00AM
Sure, I used 2 separate Derale 16749 controllers sending an "ON" signal to (2) separate 75 amp relays. I did it this way due to the fan motors pulling more than 25amps at start-up(the Derale units are rated for 25amps) and have some-sort of a "fail-safe" if ever 1 of the fan motors goes AWOL. This also requires 2 separate sensors(they come with the Derale units), (1) in T-stat housing, the other I made using a "T" cast iron fitting w/ brass NPT to barbed fitting inline in the heater hose(the sensor does not require it to be grounded for it to operate). Doing it this hides the fittings and sensor while cleaning up the wiring. I wanted a reliable sensor and not the push-in style that can be troublesome and/or unreliable(fallout or hokey looking, IMO) I used the Green/Red stripe wire as a turn-on signal(power supplied when key is in "ON" position), through a Bosch relay and protected by a 5 amp fuse, to not only energize/turn-on my 3G alternator but also my Edelbrock electric fuel pump, Holley electric choke and both Derale fan controllers. The Bosch relay supplies the needed amperage/voltage and the 5 amp fuse protects the vehicles wiring back to the signal source under the dash. The Derale units also have an A/C override input wire, this activates the fans to come on when the A/C is switched on, even if the engine hasn't reached sufficient temp to operate the fans. Another PLUS is that the Derale units are adjustable, you can set the turn-on temps to whatever you like and the turn-off temp is 10-12 degrees lower. I run a 180 T-stat and have the controllers set to 185 for the bigger fan and 195 for the smaller fan, both are set to operate with the A/C override. I previously had a 160 T-stat but kept the temps the same so I knew the T-stat was completely open and stayed that way when the fans cycled on and off. I did purchase a fuse holder from a foreign car to use as an underhood distribution block to ease wiring now and in the future if an electrical expansion is required. I have plenty of pics if needed. The system sounds complicated and although it requires a bit of wiring, it has proven to be bullet-proof for more than 2 years in the Florida heat. If you want, you can go to my Supermotors site to check out my install(amongst other things), there have been some upgrades under the hood but the cooling fan system is basically the same. I mounted the fan controllers and 75amp relays beside the battery on the fender side, this hides it but still allows temp adjustments if needed/wanted. The Windstar shroud requires very little trimming for it to fit the rad core size, it the pics it shows where I riveted a 3/4" X 1/8" flat stock to the inside of the shroud for the top shroud to radiator mounts. The bottom mounts are just 1" wide X 1.5" long with a 1" bend then riveted to the bottom of the shroud to fit the factory U-clips I installed in the radiator's bottom flange. If any info is needed/required, don't hesitate to ask. Hopefully this will help. 

BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2017 at 8:40AM
Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

Here is a photo of the above mentioned Champion radiator installed in my wagon with the factory shroud. Very minor tweaking on the upper hold down brackets needed at best, again as mentioned above.

Looking for advice on the rubber isolators used.   I'm wondering if mounting was changed.  I have a huge gap in the mounting bracket...see pic.

Basically hte radiator flops around...slides back and forth in the standard rubber mounts.
Todd has some advice on another thread.   I thought it would be better to move this discussion to an appropriate thread regarding installing the champion radiator.

Its not a drop in replacment.   Nice radiator, but couldn't they have matched the mounting tabs to the actual size of the stock radiator.

Edited by BackInBlack - 20-June-2017 at 8:56AM
-John
1973 GTS
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2017 at 11:16AM
To make it more movement free I have an option/opinion that may just work and be almost invisible.  Weld a 1/2 x 1/2" angle iron piece to the bottom of the factory upper bracket near the forward position to take up any clearance then trim/cut the rubber insulator to protect the radiator's mounting tab where it would contact this bracket. Hopefully this will help.

Edited by aquartlow - 20-June-2017 at 11:16AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2017 at 11:35AM
MMM...i like that idea.  That works for the top.   Not sure what to do with the bottom.

Maybe just bent up a simple u channel bracket that a mustang rubber isolator will fit in.   Then tack it in place on the bottom.  

I'm trying to set it up so it doesn't slide side to side as well as front to back  (x and y dimensions).  Its really loose in both planes.

Edited by BackInBlack - 20-June-2017 at 11:37AM
-John
1973 GTS
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2017 at 1:34PM
I used factory stock lower insulators with no issues, all the movement was taken up by "tweaking" my upper mounts. Good luck and keep us posted.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2017 at 2:42PM
I'll try out your suggestions this weekend.   I found 71 mustang upper mounts look like they would work without cutting welding.   They are smaller...also fox body mustang mounts look like they may work too with some mods. 

Edited by BackInBlack - 22-June-2017 at 2:45PM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 2:41AM
Overall I think the Champion radiator is a nice unit for the money.   I did learn or figure out some mounting options that may help someone in the future...

Upper:
I found that you can use 2 x the passenger side upper radiator brackets with rubber isolators from a 93 mustang.  You would need to buy 2x these kits and cut the upper rubber mounts in half and used the thickest part of each half in the stock bracket.  It literally grabs the top tab on the radiator with no slop and holds it in the right position.  It will hold the tabs on teh radiator perfectly without having to weld or change the mounts.

This shows the stock mounts and 93 mustang rubber...very similar:

This shows a 93 mustang upper bracket with the 93 rubber, if you buy 2 sets of rubber take the uppers and cut them in half.  Keep the thick tabs and install in the upper bracket it fits the radiator mounting tab perfectly.  You can use 2x the short stock bracket with this rubber without having to modify anything else for the top:

I tried to take a 93 mustang upper radiator bracket and pound it out to straighten it.  Its the same size, length, and has hte same mounting as hte stock short bracket.   I simply couldnt get it to look nice in the end.  Perhaps someone who has better equipment or skill can straighten it to work for their application.

Lower:
This is where I decided its just not worth it.  The new 93 mustang rubber lower mounts will work well but you have to make a bracket to hold them to keep them from rotating in hte support when you slide the radiator left/right.   I have so much to do; long work hours, etc.   This just isn't worth it to me if I had to pay myself for the hours spent. 

Conclusion:
I tried the recommendations mentioned and it slides around in the lower mounts using the stock rubber isolators in my car.  Not sure why mine isn't working with the mods recommended.  I can't get this to fit without making alot of changes to the lower mounts.  I've just reached my limit for custom brackets and nuts bolts...by the time I finished getting new rubber, more brackets, spending hours modifying, and buying misc parts...I'm spending another 100-150 for odds and ends (not including the time)    Basically, It looks more like a mustang radiator rather than one for a Torino.   I'de rather just get the stock re-cored by a custom shop (3core) or maybe order one from Griffin that fits in the stock mounts.   I feel that its worth spending another 200+ to get a radiator that fits without all these mods.  

Edited by BackInBlack - 28-June-2017 at 2:42AM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2017 at 1:38AM
I actually have a factory 3 core radiator for one of these cars.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply