The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Window frame repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Window frame repair
    Posted: 28-September-2015 at 7:31AM
Can you take rusty metal out and tac weld a strip of 22g across the hole window opening? So I would have 2 metal thicknesses where there is good metal. Would this interfere with anything? 
TIA 
73MONTEGO
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2015 at 9:13AM
Before you cut, make the patch panel, then use it as a template for cutting. You are better off cutting out the existing and replacing it, as opposed to adding a second layer. that way, you get rid of the rust. You can also paint the backside of the patch and anywhere you can reach inside the roof to minimize rust return.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2015 at 12:07PM
X2 ^^^^
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2015 at 9:33PM
Very new to welding but I'll give it a try. Thanks
73MONTEGO
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2015 at 2:38AM
Everything he said, and...BEFORE you make your patch panel to use as a template, tap around to make sure you are getting ALL of the rusted areas. This way you will make sure to make your patch piece large enough. Once rust starts, it is really hard to prevent it from spreading. So find it all and cut it out, otherwise it WILL spread.

Best of luck to you, and if you have more questions once you get started, there are a lot of smart guys on here.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2015 at 6:07AM
I just caught this episode flipping channels last night, the fun begins around the 13:00 mark

it's easy to misjudge the damage underneath, if you make the patch piece first then find out the rust is more extensive than you thought you'll either be making a new patch or an another to join in... and another...

that's why I think the cut it out & make a cardboard/paper pattern is the way to go as shown in the vid

when you're ready for a shock look in the cowl
72 GT Ute

smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2015 at 10:28AM
Ok riddle me this I'm cutting out an inch around where the holes are making a patch and some parts are welding ok and others the metal is melting away. Realizing it must be bad metal but how do I now fill that hole that is now beside the patch a just made? Another patch? Feels like 1 step forward 2 steps back. I do know about copper but some places you can't put copper behind it. T I A
73MONTEGO
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2015 at 10:44AM
Cut it back and keep going, you need to get to good metal.....

Only other option is while using a magnet stick a piece of metal underneath and then weld down onto that so that if the corners melt away they melt into the backing plate. Then you can smooth over with filler.

Personally I'd cut it out and slowly make the replacement patch work, the beauty of the front screen is that as it can be bonded in with PU instead of a seal, therefore it doesn't matter so much if the lip is slightly misshapen as it can be alleviated by a slightly thinner bead in certain spots 
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2015 at 11:40AM
one of those copper welding spoons do work well, but like nuggets said about the bad metal cut back to good metal unless the rust has been thoroughly blasted or acid dipped so that no rust remains!!!

another trick i use for small patches where you can't get to the back side:

cut a patch piece just bigger than the hole to be filled, trim one edge so that the piece can just be slid into the hole, drill an 1/8" hole in the center of the patch piece, take a 6" piece of steel wire, bend a loop type "T" at the end, put the straight end of the wire up through the hole in the patch (the "T" part will now hold the patch) then hold the wire and slide the patch into the hole to be filled while holding the wire to keep the patch up against the body! hold tension on the wire while you tack weld the patch in place, once you know it's tacked in good, hold tight on the wire at the same time weld up the 1/8" hole, the wire should melt away while pulling it and your 1/8" hole is welded all in one move!!! Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply