The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any 73 GTS owner add a functional 69 Torino Scoop?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any 73 GTS owner add a functional 69 Torino Scoop?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any 73 GTS owner add a functional 69 Torino Scoop?
    Posted: 18-October-2015 at 5:18AM
I have a 69 Torino scoop with the turn signal indicators in the back of it that we will be putting on my 73 GTS hood in a few days..
I thought about cutting a hole in the hood to make it functional..

I was wondering if anyone has actually done this?
Any advice would be appreciated!
THANKS!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 6:56AM
I can tell you from the experience of running a 72 sport hood with open scoops that your engine compartment will take on the look of a car that's been sitting in the scrap yard if you don't fab up a seal & drain similar to a factory shaker or ram air
72 GT Ute

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 6:56AM
Yes there is someone who has done it, but he had cut a larger/wider hole in the hood and he installed a wider hood scoop onto the hood. I believe that the hood scoop that he had installed was from a 1993 mustang. There is a picture of the hood below.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 6:59AM
There is a picture below of the hood scoop installed.

Edited by dave302 - 18-October-2015 at 7:13AM
GoldFinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 7:29AM
Thanks Guys so far!

I am going to get the rubber flapper piece.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 10:46AM
that's a scoop from a mid 80's mustang.
just depends on if you plan on driving it a lot in the rain, or not
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 12:40PM
No I won't be driving in the rain intentionally.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 12:44PM
I already have the 69 scoop.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 3:58PM
Originally posted by GoldFinger GoldFinger wrote:

Cut a piece of foam that you can wedge in the inlet. It will have to be tight enough to stay put but not so tight to crack the scoop.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Skinnys Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2015 at 4:25PM
I ran one of those on my '73 for a while before switching to an Eliminator/Comet GT scoop. The '69 scoop will need some messaging at the rear to fit the center hood peak. Also will need to cut some holes for the turn signal housings to fit through (they hang below the scoop a bit). I ran mine without a hole for a while, then cut one to fit a velocity stack through. If you decide to make it functional, some of the hood brace needs to be cut out also. Currently in the process of finishing up my '72 scoop conversion (Frankenscoop). Good luck with your project. Scott 
Scott -'73 Gran Torino Brougham

Past Torino's -'73 Q-code GTS, '76 Original PS-122 S&H, '73 H-code GTS, '73 Ranchero
        '71 Cobra 351 Auto, '70 351C Brougham 2dr HT, '71 351C Ranchero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2015 at 2:18PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Cut a piece of foam that you can wedge in the inlet. It will have to be tight enough to stay put but not so tight to crack the scoop.

If I get the rubber flapper,why would I need foam?
Most of these scoops that were on the 69 Torino's and Mustangs were not functional and they did not crack..Am I missing something?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2015 at 2:19PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

If I get the rubber flapper,why would I need foam?
Most of these scoops that were on the 69 Torino's and Mustangs were not functional and they did not crack..Am I missing something?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldFinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2015 at 1:17PM
Originally posted by Skinnys Garage Skinnys Garage wrote:

I ran one of those on my '73 for a while before switching to an Eliminator/Comet GT scoop. The '69 scoop will need some messaging at the rear to fit the center hood peak. Also will need to cut some holes for the turn signal housings to fit through (they hang below the scoop a bit). I ran mine without a hole for a while, then cut one to fit a velocity stack through. If you decide to make it functional, some of the hood brace needs to be cut out also. Currently in the process of finishing up my '72 scoop conversion (Frankenscoop). Good luck with your project. Scott 

Thanks Scott!
The shop has made the cutouts for the turn signals and the studs.The have also dremmeled down the back of the scoop and below the scoop becuase the back would not sit flush with the hood...The scoop looks GREAT!
I decided not to cut a hole for the air cleaner...but may change my mind some time a little later on.
The shop is now working on the harness to wire in the turn signal indicators on the back of the scoop.
 Post Reply Post Reply