The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Gran Torino Wagon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huttonsinusa@btinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gran Torino Wagon
    Posted: 23-November-2015 at 10:23PM
I have a 1973 gran torino wagon the tailgate has been working fine sideways then my friend tried to open it downwards now it is jammed shut sprayed every where with WD40 pulled a few levers but still jammed this is with window fully down please can anybody help thanks Nigel
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2015 at 5:06AM
Originally posted by huttonsinusa@btinter huttonsinusa@btinter wrote:

I have a 1973 gran torino wagon the tailgate has been working fine sideways then my friend tried to open it downwards now it is jammed shut sprayed every where with WD40 pulled a few levers but still jammed this is with window fully down please can anybody help thanks Nigel

Nigel, I was having issues with my tailgate handle rod popping out of its location. Is your interior tailgate handle very loose? If so, the rod that goes from the handle to the unlocking mechanism has popped off. There is a small plastic attachment that probably has become dry rotted and is broken. HELP or Dorman products carry these little plastic pieces similar to this little black in the middle:

Dorman Products 45396 - Dorman Hood, Hatch & Tailgate Repair Parts

After several times of it coming unattached what I did was bent the rod the other way and inserted it by wedging it in between the attaching location of the mechanism and the tailgate itself. Now the rod does not have enough space for it to slip out of it's place.

It's kinda of hard to explain and I apologize if this is not what you are going through, but if it is then I hope it helps!

I used a white lithium grease spray to lube everything up in there and I haven't had a problem since.

Good luck! 
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2015 at 5:08AM
One last thing to try is push the tailgate inward while pulling up on the interior tailgate handle to get the locking mechanisms to engage or disengage and see if that helps. The tailgate lock needs to be unlocked and window down as well.

Sometimes I have to do this to get it to open.

Wink
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

huttonsinusa@btinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huttonsinusa@btinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2015 at 6:09AM
Hi there thanks for your post all rods are in place & both handles are tight seems like there trying to open but jammed it was opening fine until my friend tried to open it downwards I think it most probably hadn't been used that way for years I don't know as have only owned it myself for a few months thanks nigel
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2015 at 6:31AM
All good advice. I would also suggest making sure it is completely closed on the sideways position. I have tried to open my tailgate down when it was not fully closed from opening it sideways before and it seriously got jammed. Basically, it causes the upper left (or right) latch to slightly open, causing both ways to fight each other. Finally worked mine loose by forcing it closed from down and then opening it sideways and slamming it shut.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
huttonsinusa@btinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huttonsinusa@btinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2015 at 6:41AM
Thanks will try .. away from home for a week will try when I get home seems shut but will give it a big push shut on both side when I return thanks nigel
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2015 at 7:23AM
Excerpt about the wagon:

"...The extra width allowed Torino station wagons to carry a 4×8' sheet of plywood flat in the cargo area with the tailgate down. Station wagons had a rated capacity of 83.5 cu ft (2,364 L), nearing the capacity of some full-size wagons. An available rear-facing third seat was available, increasing the wagon's capacity from 6 to 8 passengers. All station wagons had the 3-way "Magic Doorgate" featuring for the first time a tailgate that could be opened as a door with the rear window up..."

"Magic" because once they get jammed, it takes MAGIC to get those things open! LOL

A little gentle persuasion will do the trick! Ouch

Post Reply Post Reply