The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTS quarter window mechanism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillamook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 GTS quarter window mechanism
    Posted: 30-January-2016 at 9:01AM
Does anyone know how assemble the roller mechanism in the quarter panel? It's the last part, PITA part, of completing the car and we are not able to figure out the assembly of the entire mechanism in the quarter panel let alone a couple missing parts from the left side mechanism.   

Any help on figuring this out would be greatly appreciated! If anyone knows where I can purchase an assembly that would be great also.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff B. '72 GTS FastBack 429
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2016 at 1:41AM
What are you trying to do? Replace the guide rollers or clean it up or...?  Is the quarter panel on the car or are you doing this from the inside (good luck with that and buy a lot of bandages)

When I replaced the 1/4 panel this summer, I removed and cleaned the quarter window mech and reinstalled it.  Having that pesky 1/4 panel out of the way helped. Wink

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Tillamook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillamook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2016 at 2:12AM
Ha, unfortunately the quarter panels are on and i have an incomplete mechanism on one side due to an inexperienced shop employee. Oh, the other side is removed and in pieces too. I have found replacement pieces and mechanisms to put it back together but just waiting on the guy to cut them out.

The job does look like a lot of blood sweat and tears but it's the last thing yto wrap up besides the exhaust. Did you replace the rollers or just clean and grease?
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2016 at 3:16AM
Originally posted by Tillamook Tillamook wrote:

Did you replace the rollers or just clean and grease?

I would suggest replacing the rollers regardless of how nice they may be. I learned this the HARD way on ALL four doors of my wagon. Granted, I probably had more room to work with, but just having to remove the door window crank, arm rest, door panel and dust/rain shield was a PITA especially doing this multiple times for various reasons.  

And for some reason I always had a hard time fishing the socket out the armrests and lining up those mounting clips that kept popping off the door! Dead

Anyway, back to the rollers, they are cheap and well greased they will last another 20 years! Clap

Good luck!
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2016 at 6:07AM
I will look at my serv manual and see if I can post a pic of the window mech for you.

I would replace the rollers since it out and grease it up (lightly).  Should work like new!

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
Tillamook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillamook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2016 at 2:34AM
I appreciate the guidance and recommendation! I just bought rollers so it will help with longevity. I did find round and square rollers, have you seen or heard of this? I hope the round ones work properly on my fastback!
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2016 at 4:51AM
yes, they had round originally, but the square ones are aftermarket replacements. i have one square one on my passenger window now and it works fine Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2016 at 6:38AM
Originally posted by robot9000 robot9000 wrote:

I will look at my serv manual and see if I can post a pic of the window mech for you.

I would replace the rollers since it out and grease it up (lightly).  Should work like new!

I ALREADY TEXTED HIM THE PAGES OUT OF THE FORD SHOP MANUAL.
Mike
jefft1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefft1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2016 at 1:10PM
I have a 73 gts fastback i also have to replace a roller ,does the mechanism.have to be removed from qtr panel to get them in ?
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2018 at 11:55PM
I'm now dealing with this as well.   There is a lot of play in the rollers; where is a good source for replacement window rollers?

72 Chevelle window rollers look teh same as the original parts.   Are the square style the recommended replacement?   

Edited by BackInBlack - 18-April-2018 at 11:57PM
-John
1973 GTS
 Post Reply Post Reply