The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

molding color, valance bolts, door panel clips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: molding color, valance bolts, door panel clips
    Posted: 01-February-2016 at 4:43PM
Been searching and searching and ........  can't find these!

GTS Door panel insert metal retaining clips: need 6-8 pieces

Rear valance bolt and clip: need only one!

Found this buried in Dearborn Classics website: Part #: 90-74837-1  Gonna give'm a try

Front valance bolt and clip radiator housing side: need two

What color is on the molding? Black and an argent gray or light brown? Anyone know?

I know this is small stuff but the little stuff just kills you and I can't find these things anywhere.
Thank for reading!

Edited by fordismyboss - 02-February-2016 at 3:12AM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2016 at 6:49PM
on the door panel insert clip: i don't know if you can get them anywhere??? unless someone else on here knows ? are yours broken off or ripped out of the masonite part? i ask because i had a few screwed up on mine and fixed them! several were broken off the metal tab from the rest of the metal part... so i carefully tack welded them back with my mig welder then dabbed it with a wet rag! 

i had one that was completely ripped out of the masonite panel... so i carefully unpeeled the vinyl upholstery just enough to get access between the vinyl and the panel, i then used a couple of the large copper staples from a cardboard shipping box, using two crisscrossed in an " X " and bent the ends over on the metal side, then carefully hammered them to tighten them up! not perfect, but it was the only thing i could think of that would hold in that tight area without interfering with the panel or show behind the vinyl Lamp Wink 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2016 at 2:52AM
i needed two rear valance bolts and clips...  couldnt find them, i had to make some.

the molding is black and argent gray.  i bought mine in a rattle can from a paint store
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2016 at 3:42AM
The passenger door is perfect, but six of tabs tabs on the driver door panel insert retaining tabs are sheered off for some reason(?). Thank you for the mig weld idea! Also fabricating tabs with copper is a good idea. Would love to find some from a donor too! 
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2016 at 3:46AM

Paint - Argent - Genuine Ford - 12 Oz. Spray Can # 90-52421-1

Paint - Argent - Genuine Ford - 12 Oz. Spray Can

Part #:
90-52421-1

Found this buried on Dearborn Classics website. Not sure why DBC does not connect these products with search criteria(?)
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2016 at 5:04AM
some of the members here may have some of these.  there are a few that have scrapped multiple cars and have many parts laying around (cough***joe/unlovedford***cough).  

send unlovedford a pm and ask.  wouldnt hurt.
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2016 at 5:32AM
dARK ARGENT.
Mike
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2016 at 2:13AM
I have doors with the moldings still on. Perhaps one will have good ones. I have a few junky GTS panels I can check for those clips.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2016 at 3:36PM
Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

Been searching and searching and ........  can't find these!

GTS Door panel insert metal retaining clips: need 6-8 pieces

I have found a simple, cheap way to fix this issue...

Go to Lowes and buy these. Cost me $3.46 per panel...

Start by cutting a V in it so it can be inserted...

Now a little sanding on each side to make sure it clears the bracket's "Teeth" (hole) Just a little on each side is all that's needed, so don't go crazy...

Then gently pry on both sides of the bracket with a screw driver rocking it to give a little clearance...

GENTLY!

Now insert the clip from one side and rotate in the opposite direction from the place the V will end up. It will come into view as we continue....

If you use pliers, be careful not to damage the splines. It may be tough to turn so you will need help. Be careful...

This is the position you want it to be in...

Gently push into place at the base with a screw driver...

Just that easy. Fits right into the holes in the panel with a little finagling and holds tight...

Thumbs Up

Jim

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2016 at 5:35PM
that's a damn good idea jim! i fixed a couple of mine by tack welding the tab back on and quickly cooling it, had to make one out of a piece of sheet metal. but one was ripped out of the masonite, so i carefully worked the vinyl loose just enough to reach between it to put a couple of copper packaging staples through it and crimp them tight against the metal part! (actually they may have been from the box that had the dash pad i got from you Shocked)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 1:09AM
That is a superb idea. Good job.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 8:40AM
Finished it all up today. Here's what it looks like...

Jim

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2016 at 11:14AM
Clap Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2016 at 10:18AM
Also...another great tip!
Use Great Planes Pro CA cyanoacrylate glue. (Thin-instant). Amazing stuff to fix door panels with. I glued some of the metal clips on. You would have to rip them off. Also used for door panels that the holes are pulled out of. Makes them strong to put clip back into.
Jim

Post Reply Post Reply