The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Base model Torino CJ/4spd project *update*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2017 at 3:47PM
nice car buddy.all 4 bolt main blocks start of as 2 bolts.you can take a 2 bolt block and drill it for 4 bolt mains.so if you need a date code block look at 2v motors.all you need is the main caps to do it...
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2017 at 3:52PM
no way to know if it's a 4 bolt block until you drop the pan. D2AE-CA came out of the factory machined as both 2 bolts & 4 bolts
i had a 2 bolt D2AE-CA nothing wrong with that Thumbs Up

i wonder if the engine is a 2V transplant wearing the original 4V intake?

Edited by Rockatansky - 02-April-2017 at 3:53PM
72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2017 at 4:32PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

no way to know if it's a 4 bolt block until you drop the pan. D2AE-CA came out of the factory machined as both 2 bolts & 4 bolts
i had a 2 bolt D2AE-CA nothing wrong with that Thumbs Up

i wonder if the engine is a 2V transplant wearing the original 4V intake?

yea the 4 spd cars engine will probably turn out to be a plain old 72-74 2v. at first I thought maybe someone had swapped the 2v heads onto the stock bottom end because I think i recall guys doin that years ago to pick up some bottom end power, but more likely it's just a 2v engine.  If it turns out to be a 72 2v engine, would it have flat tops or dished like the 73-74 motors? I can raise compression 1.5 points per the pure stock rules, so that will put me right at 9.5-1. I need to find a small dome piston that will give me that with the stock 73 open cj head. I'd rather not cut the head at all if i can help it. I wouldn't mind findin a 8" center section with some 3.25,3.40 or 3.55 gears to help perk the 302 up for now.

Edited by MrSmog - 02-April-2017 at 4:34PM
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2017 at 1:22PM
put a new aftermarket stereo dash speaker and mid 80's am/fm cassette in the car today. made me a bit nervous yankin on that dash pad and then shovin it back into place, but all went well. Also took out the shoulder belts so they don't dangle and flop around anymore. sat in the car listenin to old cassettes I had made back in high school and made it halfway through one when the cassette player stopped workin lol  I'll build a spare cassette radio up with a new belt and the faceplate I want and swap it out for this one one day. Just happy to have more then am right now. My fm modulator usb player works perfectly though with the radio, best 5.00 i ever spent on ebay.

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2017 at 3:13PM
cool! umm the tape didn't get caught in there and unravel did it? damn cassettes were famous for that!! lolConfused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2017 at 4:19PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

cool! umm the tape didn't get caught in there and unravel did it? damn cassettes were famous for that!! lolConfused

nah, i bet the damn belt broke. it was playin a lil odd and then before it popped the cassette out it slowed right down to a stop (music speed I mean). They are easy to replace on them as they have a plate that covers the belt drive, just need to source the right belt.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2017 at 4:43PM
yep, BTW rubberbands don't work!! ask me how i know LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2017 at 5:09PM

yep, BTW rubberbands don't work!! ask me how i know LOL

yea I have a spare radio, I'll take the belt out and see if I can get the correct size and a source. they are great radios when they play, have a lot of sound for a stocker too. I'd like to find one with the all white letters on the faceplate so it better matches the stock gauges. The later ones have a blue and orange line on the faceplate but also usually have a power antenna wire which is good to run to a amp with some low level/rca adapters, lets you run a sub or power some higher end speakers nicely.
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 2:28PM
That is one nice and clean looking car.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 2:47PM
Originally posted by kychevyguy kychevyguy wrote:

That is one nice and clean looking car.

thanks, it was the nicest one I saw that hadn't been re-done. The cynic in me just doesn't trust shiny new paint  lol

I'm tryin to find a 8" center section with some 3.25, 3.40 or 3.55 gears for a decent price if you run across or have one. pep the 302 up since i'll probably drive it that way for a couple years.
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2017 at 10:52AM

Don't you wish they all looked this way when you take the rims off? puttin a set of 225/70/14 hankooks on the car, the wheels haven't been off since 1979 when the 2nd set of tires was put on the car. Those tires look like new but I just don't trust them no matter how good they look. not too mention they have flat spots you can feel goin down the road. Got the rears on today, when i get the fronts done tomorrow i'll throw pics up.
torino335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2017 at 11:24AM
thats very clean,i checked to see if i still had a 3.25 center section for you,but i quess it grew legs and walked off,
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2017 at 1:38PM
Originally posted by torino335 torino335 wrote:

thats very clean,i checked to see if i still had a 3.25 center section for you,but i quess it grew legs and walked off,

hey thanks for checkin. Beer
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2017 at 2:50PM
Very clean.  If the rest of your car is that clean, please share some more pics of the undercarriage and suspension.  Would be great for people restoring these cars.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 26-April-2017 at 2:50PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2017 at 3:31PM
Jim, the red wagon has a 3.25 8 inch rear. Checked last week. I figured it had to be a decent gear with that 250 and 3 speed manual.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2017 at 3:57PM
LOL I'm Bob, although it seems I get called Jethro a lot lol   I sent you a pm. Thanks for checkin

This car is clean, no cream puff museum piece, but pretty clean. when I run across things that are nice and still have factory paint/markins on them I'll take pics and add them here. Like you say, might come in handy to see how things were when new. the car sat from 1983 or 84 until the guy I got it from got it about 4 years ago. The original owner and his wife were up there in age, so family drove them where they needed to go. Guy i got it from was a family friend of theirs and He had the fuel tank boiled out, carb rebuilt (which still needs some adjustment), new fuel pump, flushed lines, new sendin unit (which reads 1/4 low) and a few other minor things. It was kept in a very small garage, so it has some scratches and little dings from things fallin over, bumpin into it etc looks like they backed into somethin as well, has a small dent on the very top of the valance and a very light scrub mark on the rear bumper. It had a passenger mirror on it that looks like it caught the garage as they pulled in or out. so I am gonna have to address that and might have to try one of those paintless dent repair places to get that better. Its minor but I'd still like it a bit better then I think i can do before I put another mirror on it. I'd like to have a few places painted as well, front lower fenders behind tires, rear qtrs behind tires. Have them painted from body line down and just the small sections. Basically some small spot repairs to ensure they don't turn into a problem down the road.

Edited by MrSmog - 26-April-2017 at 4:35PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2017 at 4:31PM
Jethro
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 3:13AM
Now that's a NICE base model Torino. I seem to remember one for sale similar to this one, but they were asking close to $20K....Not trying to get in your business, but is this that car?
I remember because I saw the spotless original vinyl seat upholstery and wished someone reproduced it so I could have done my wagon that way. Our original wagon was a base model Blue Torino and a non-A/C 302 V-8. Talk about bringing back memories. That car is the exact looking sedan equivalent. Wow!
I opted for vinyl/tweed upholstery instead being I'm in Texas and it gets pretty HOT here, but it would be nice to have the original seat coverings so my kids can feel what I felt as a kid....LOL! Ouch LOL

Great looking car! Wink

Edited by gpd294 - 27-April-2017 at 3:16AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 3:47AM
Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

Now that's a NICE base model Torino. I seem to remember one for sale similar to this one, but they were asking close to $20K....Not trying to get in your business, but is this that car?
I remember because I saw the spotless original vinyl seat upholstery and wished someone reproduced it so I could have done my wagon that way. Our original wagon was a base model Blue Torino and a non-A/C 302 V-8. Talk about bringing back memories. That car is the exact looking sedan equivalent. Wow!
I opted for vinyl/tweed upholstery instead being I'm in Texas and it gets pretty HOT here, but it would be nice to have the original seat coverings so my kids can feel what I felt as a kid....LOL! Ouch LOL

Great looking car! Wink

Thanks.  No this one was one for sale up in pa. the guy had his daughters boyfriend list it once but once that ad ran out, he didn't know how to renew the ad and didn't want to bother the kid again. so it sat unlisted since last summer. I had my eye on it since then but didn't have the play money until this spring. it was much much less then $20k Wink
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 9:59AM
Put some window cranks in the car as well, they are the cheapies off ebay, we'll see how they hold up but for 5.31 each shipped to my door, i'll give em a shot. They look white but are a clear type knob.

Put the new front tires on today, I think I might have a sticky caliper on the passenger side, hopefully it just needs a few miles under its belt but sure seemed awful tight when I spun it. When the sun goes down i'll wash it up and get a pic of the new skins.

Edited by MrSmog - 27-April-2017 at 9:59AM
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 11:58AM
Hey Bob, I must have missed that one on c.l. I'm always searching ny,nj,and pa.. I would have snatched that one up. Looks great. Happy you got it
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 1:15PM
yea the fact he was internet clumsy helped me this time lol  New skins!!!!

72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 1:46PM
Nice!!!!!! What a sleeper that would make
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 2:22PM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

Nice!!!!!! What a sleeper that would make

Thanks, thats the idea too. I toy with the idea of a silver/blue laser stripe but just don't know if I want to dress this car up with one. I can't wait until the time is right to swap all the goodies off the 4spd/ralleye pkg car onto this one. Will take a week to get the perma-grin off my face first time i row through the gears on it.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 2:34PM
Very nice car, thanks for posting more pics. It's nice to see a clean base model, so few have survived!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 3:16PM
Sorry Bob. I had just been on the phone with a guy named Jim and it just transferred. I'll PM you.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 3:53PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Sorry Bob. I had just been on the phone with a guy named Jim and it just transferred. I'll PM you.

I'm not picky what I go by, as long as they don't call me late for dinner i'm fine lol
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 3:58PM
That is a sharp looking car.
Ironically that's about the look I'm going for with my Sport.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2017 at 5:23PM
are those 14's or 15's?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2017 at 12:48AM

are those 14's or 15's?

225/70/14's  hankook optimas      328.00 shiped to my door
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>