The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Dearborn Vs Crites 385 mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INFO: Dearborn Vs Crites 385 mounts
    Posted: 16-February-2016 at 8:22AM
Has anyone used either mounts before? The 429/460 conversion mounts for a 72-79 torino to be exact
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2016 at 9:02AM
I've seen/played with the Crites ones, and made essentially the same thing out of fullsize car mounts.
Crites mounts don't sit quite the same as factory mounts, and may have fitment issues with headers made for factory mounts.
To make them yourself, get a set of fullsize mounts. cut off the "ears" that sit on the frame perches.
Now, look at your 385 block. You will see there is a lower area on the block between the bolt holes for the mount. Between those holes you drill a hole through the mounts. Now you need the part of the mount that saddles the torino frame. You can bend up/weld up a piece or use one out of a small-block mount. It needs a hole in it to attach to the mount. the bolt goes thru the mount from behind (Tack in place) and is (barely) long enough to assemble the Franken-mount.
For what it's worth, that is how the original Crites mounts looked like they were made. (Cut marks and all)
The factory 385 mounts have a block plate that goes on the engine, and a separate insulator that bolts to the block plate.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2016 at 9:14AM
Cheers, I'm picking up the spare engine at the weekend and it comes with Mercury Marquis mounts so if possible I may use the block side of them and then butcher them to fit the 73 frame if you reckon the crites ones aren't worth the $165! 

The Dearborn ones definitely look better made

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/429-460-engine-into-72-79-torino-kit.html

Barnaby

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2016 at 9:24AM
These
at Dearborn look WORLDS better than the Crites mounts.
I'm thinking this is a new product, as I've never seen it before, or seen this brought up on here.
These look like a fairly good repro of the real parts. The Crites mounts, and Franken-mount conversions always made me uneasy with being held together by one small bolt.
I would research the Dearborn mounts if I were doing a big-block swap.  Looks a lot sturdier, and is probably a better option than hunting for a set of 40 year old salvage parts, or spending more on N.O.S. parts made of Unobtainium. 
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2016 at 9:32AM
Yeah they look properly made and you can enlarge the pic unlike the Crites ones! 

I'm thinking they'll be spot on in all honesty as they seem to get a good review from people who've used the 60's Fairlane conversion kit. Apparently they sit the motor in the stock position.....

I know they'll cost me about £220 delivered to the UK but £220 for a drop in conversion when the time comes vs me spending two days wrestling with the engine in order to make some....I can justify it

I've sent Dearborn an email to make sure they sit at standard height before I order them but as their other versions do I'd believe these would 

Oh they have been mentioned on here before (thats how I found they existed) but no one seems to have used them as the Crites ones are cheaper by $35 (more like by $10 once shipping is factored in as Dearborn are cheaper shippers)
Barnaby

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2016 at 9:46AM
I've heard the Crites ones were improved from the early models, but that the fitment still requires their (Goofy) headers.
I sent Dearborn a couple questions about these as well. They used to sell Crites mounts (or someone else's pretty much identical Franken-mount).
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2016 at 9:50AM
I saw that too, either that or you need to dent your perfectly good set of $600 Hooker headers! 

I may have to go on the hunt for a dearborn discount code next haha

Do they look pretty close to stock mounts to you from the photo? I did a little research myself and they do look close just missing the heat shield 
Barnaby

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2016 at 12:42PM
That's what it looks like. Pretty much what I was asking them.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2016 at 1:00PM
Well thats what I asked them too! We'll see what they come back with 
Barnaby

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2016 at 10:10PM
From the reply I got, they are a proper reproduction mount but in two pieces rather than three....I'm assuming they're using a high heat rubber compound which is ok without the shield 

Will bite the bullet and order some. The guy at Dearborn I spoke to has a big block mounted in his 67 Fairlane and said the engine went in fine, I've got no reason to doubt these but we'll see how it works out
Barnaby

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2016 at 5:28AM
they look better because the dearbon mounts look like the factory mounts.
Mike
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2016 at 5:28AM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

From the reply I got, they are a proper reproduction mount but in two pieces rather than three....I'm assuming they're using a high heat rubber compound which is ok without the shield 

Will bite the bullet and order some. The guy at Dearborn I spoke to has a big block mounted in his 67 Fairlane and said the engine went in fine, I've got no reason to doubt these but we'll see how it works out
factory mount was only 2 piece.
Mike
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2016 at 5:37AM
Yeah its whats tempting me to buy them! A guy in Germany has used them too have sent him a PM but I'm not holding my breath he doesn't seem to active on here

I may buy them then make up a solid version and sell them on to try and get some money back
Barnaby

72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2016 at 8:51AM
Originally posted by mcford mcford wrote:

Mike
The factory mount had a heat shield as well, so in a way there was 3 pieces.  Only 2 were necessary to set the engine on the frame.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2016 at 9:04AM
I've just priced them up....I may not be buying them they're going to end up as $380 landed in the UK!!

For that money its just not worth it when I can butcher the marquis mounts to fit. Use the block plates, bend up a set of tabs for the A frame and weld it all up

Was hoping to avoid having to make yet another set of mounts but I refuse to pay $380 for engine mounts
Barnaby

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2016 at 11:17AM
I did a little digging and found some pics of the Crites mounts from someone that'd bought them in 2007 for a swap into a 73

He's had to weld on a small spacer to lift the engine up and get clearance for headers 

Barnaby

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2016 at 12:31PM
Dearborn discount code was in operation tonight which made them justifiable! Talk about opportune moment :) 

I'll update when they land
Barnaby

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2016 at 8:15AM
Originally posted by 72sport 72sport wrote:

Originally posted by mcford mcford wrote:

Mike
The factory mount had a heat shield as well, so in a way there was 3 pieces.  Only 2 were necessary to set the engine on the frame.
I realize that but count the mount itself as 2 pieces. I've damn near never seen a heat shield make it 40 years, lol, although i have seen a couple.
Mike
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2016 at 8:43AM
Joe was going to do me some dimensions so I could make some....I think laser cut ally would work nicely
Barnaby

Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2016 at 12:06PM

Cheers, I'm picking up the spare engine at the weekend and it comes with Mercury Marquis mounts so if possible I may use the block side of them and then butcher them to fit the 73 frame if you reckon the crites ones aren't worth the $165! 

The Dearborn ones definitely look better made

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/429-460-engine-into-72-79-torino-kit.html

The mounts from the merc "might" work on your torino. I would try them before cutting them up. Also Just for your information. The 72-76 T-bird mounts will be a direct fit for the Torino's 72-76 with 460/429. (I am using a set in my 79 ranchero with 460 and they work great) 
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2016 at 12:16PM
They wont because the marquis is a full size car, I'll take a pic of the mounts on it tomorrow but its a little pad that has 4 bolt holes to mount to the chassis rather than sliding over the A frame and having one bolt through to pin it in place 

72-76 would work but you try finding a decent set! At a price thats not a rip off
Barnaby

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2016 at 1:44AM
Here's a drawing of the OEM heat shield so it can be replicated.....

Hope this helps!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2016 at 5:39AM
Too hard to find these, much less in good usable condition, I have a complete set and wouldn't let them go below 3 bills. I bet you could fab up your own(seeing how you installed a 500 Cad engine) and save yourself some cash, it just boils down to what your time and labor is worth to you. I used to go scour salvage yards looking for parts trying to save a buck or two, once time and fuel were added into the mix the higher dollar NOS parts available online would actually be much more affordable or in some cases cheaper to buy and with way less aggravation. If you are planning to use 6126 headers, you would be well served to get the OEM/NOS mounts, those 6126's fit great for all they have to snake around(I have/use a set myself). Good luck in whatever avenue you choose to take.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2016 at 6:16AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Here's a drawing of the OEM heat shield so it can be replicated.....

Hope this helps!
   Great info, Thanks
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
zrusso91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrusso91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2016 at 11:20AM
I ordered the mounts from dearborn classics website. I too believed they would be great because they appear to be OEM but do not be fooled. I just received them today and they were shipped from Crites and inside was a set of Crites mounts.....so disappointing. will be returning them.
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2016 at 11:34AM
Russ thats some good info! So Dearborn are essentially brokering Crites mounts for a set profit

Cheeky bastards is all I can say....
Barnaby

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2016 at 1:27PM
Originally posted by zrusso91 zrusso91 wrote:

I ordered the mounts from dearborn classics website. I too believed they would be great because they appear to be OEM but do not be fooled. I just received them today and they were shipped from Crites and inside was a set of Crites mounts.....so disappointing. will be returning them.
Were they a 2-peice mount (bolts together on the ends) like the originals, or a fullsize car mount with the ears cut off and a frame bracket bolted thru the center????
Randy
1979 T-Bird
zrusso91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrusso91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2016 at 5:45AM
Frame bracket bolted thru the center,to the block plate/insulator. these mounts will drop your motor as far as it can be dropped in the chassis. my oil pan is nearly hitting the cross-member with these mounts installed. this i suppose is great if you run the crites headers and needed extra room up top for a highrise intake. but running hooker headers with these is a pain! manifolds should fit just fine. they really arent that bad but i happen to need some extra room for headers and these will not do. also if your still running the mechanical fan the shroud is going to have to be modified too.
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2016 at 6:36AM
From the sounds of it you could fit a Weiand Stealth with room to spare using crites mounts then
Barnaby

Post Reply Post Reply