The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1970 Torino 351 cleveland 4v running problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatguy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Torino 351 cleveland 4v running problems
    Posted: 13-March-2016 at 1:38PM
1970 Torino with a 351 Cleveland 4V, new 4 barrel Edelbrock carb, everything else stock, new mechanical fuel pump, new oil pump, new pickup screen, new water pump, new belts, all gaskets and seals new, new headbolts/gaskets. Mated to an FMX cruise-o-matic transmission, new oil, new pan gasket, new seals.

I recently removed the engine and transmission and resealed everything as it had been sitting for quite some time, pistons/rods/rod bearings/mains all were good, cleaned the whole engine, installed everything with new gaskets and seal and new bolts for everything. I got it all back into the car a couple months ago, and I have been having running issues.

I set the timing TDC #1 compression, dropped distributor in so #1 plug lead is aimed with rotor. It starts and runs like a bag, almost sounds like it's missing every couple cylinders. New cap, new rotor, new plugs, new leads, new coil. Points are set a little tight (0.0145"), been trying to get to 0.020" as per the specs I have found thus far but gotta go out and get some feeler gauges to set points. But when I get the car running it barely stays running. It will run at 1000RPM without wanting to die, but it misses (or seems like it does). Initial timing is at about 18* BTDC.

Anybody have some input on what I'm missing or in need of? Any help is appreciated very much.
March74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote March74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2016 at 12:15AM
Might be drawing in air from the intake gaskets and running lean or perhaps a vacuum leak from some other location. This would explain why it runs ok when the throttle is opened a bit and more fuel is delivered.
 Post Reply Post Reply