The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anodized aluminum polishing body trim moldings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anodized aluminum polishing body trim moldings
    Posted: 29-March-2016 at 5:44PM
Just finished restoring all the exterior trim on my 72 GTS. After much research I sent all 27 pieces of molding out for anodize and paint stripping, dent removal and straightening then polishing. Here is the superstar that did everything including the polishing. I picked the color did the painting.

Ron Weaver

Elite Custom Metal Polishing

921 E Vine St,

Lodi, CA 95240

(209) 339-1550

The 14 pieces of painted side molding:

Here is a bad one:

Here is what they look like after Ron performs his magic:

These are the two colors I used, both SEM colors:

Yes, alot of masking! I used foam sand paper to sand close to the masking: 

I painted the middle first, but I now suggest you paint the black first:

Top one is restored. The 45 year old one below is not too bad is it!

When the painting was complete, I sealed the polished aluminum and the paint at the same time with Mequiars Ulitimate liquid wax # G18216

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 2:11AM
looks great Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
67gt5003119 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67gt5003119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 2:20AM
Very nice! Did he remove the anodizing, polish and then re anodize? Or leave it bare? Hard to find reputable guys these days. I can't decide if I want to keep my moldings or fill in the holes. Can't wait to see pics of them on your car!
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 3:04AM
I had a '68 F100 with the big anodized grill. Perfectly straight, but the original anodizing was showing it's age. I removed the remaining anodized coating with extremely fine sandpaper, then polished the grill to a very high degree. Once there, I painted the black "divider bars" in a matte black and restored the center Ranger emblem. A tremendous amount of work, and I had to keep up with it as far as polishing, but well worth it. Others have done the same, then applied clearcoat to it for a preservative. I was hesitant to spray anything on it after I went through the effort of removing the original coating.

Would have been easier, in retrospect.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 6:25AM
looking good
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
mach1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mach1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 6:28AM
They look great! 
I've tried painting aluminum trim and have found when washing my car the paint doesn't stick and peels off when I hit it with the hose even under low pressure.  
Mach1000
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 9:41AM
Easy-off oven cleaner will take the anodizing off for polishing, but you need to pay attention and rinse the parts well as soon as the anodizing is gone as the aluminum will go next...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 1:59PM
Originally posted by 67gt5003119 67gt5003119 wrote:

Very nice! Did he remove the anodizing, polish and then re anodize? Or leave it bare? Hard to find reputable guys these days. I can't decide if I want to keep my moldings or fill in the holes. Can't wait to see pics of them on your car!

I chose not to re-anodize as the vendor base was spotty and the process would remove some of the polish. I took the polished parts, masked them, and sanded the paint areas, and repainted. Let the paint set for about three weeks, then washed the parts with car soap, and sealed both the paint and polished areas with Mequiars ultimate liquid polymer wax. Will probably have to reseal once a year.  
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2016 at 2:32AM
They look beautiful.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2016 at 5:22AM
I've used a lye oven cleaner to remove anodizing and then lots of fine sanding and polishing to restore AL trim.  POR Glisten is supposed to be a great clear for metal.  I have some but have not used it yet.  This springs project...

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
 Post Reply Post Reply