The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

-71 Torino GT cold start issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paskanakki-Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: -71 Torino GT cold start issue
    Posted: 09-April-2016 at 10:05PM
Hello everyone!

A proud new owner of a 71 Torino GT saying hi! I've purchased my first Ford only two days ago and I couldn't be happier. As far as I know there isn't another convertible like mine in my country, so I'm especially proud of my car! Haha!

But I do have a slight problem with the carburetor when starting the car cold. What I can tell is that the carb seems to go bone dry after I've turned the engine off. A splash of gas straight to the carburetor, and it starts right off. I'm not sure what causes this, and I was hoping someone here might know what's going on.

Thanks!
- Simo

Edited by Paskanakki-Jack - 09-April-2016 at 10:08PM
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2016 at 7:44AM
WELCOME to the Family
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2016 at 1:20PM
The gas is leaking back down to the tank. The fuel pump should have a check valve that prevents this but they don't (as you can see) always work. My two do this as well I have just learn to live with it as I will be going with fuel injection soon.  
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2016 at 3:36PM
welcome! very possible what dan said, but thinking about the check valve... if it were bad wouldn't the diaphram when pumping just cause the gas to serge in the line from the tank and not be able to be pumped up to the carb??? how long sitting does it dry up? the same day? or if it's been sitting for weeks or more? mine is dry if it sits for a couple of weeks or more.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2016 at 2:15AM
He said a day and it's dry. The engine rpm's could overcome a pretty leaky check valve. Mine take about a week. then I have to crank for a few seconds then pump then crank again then they start right up.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2016 at 9:40AM
I remember having to seal some plugs in fuel bowls with epoxy...
Mighta been Quadrajets, maybe Holleys, don't remember, just that it caused the same problem...
what carb is involved?

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2016 at 2:41PM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

He said a day and it's dry. The engine rpm's could overcome a pretty leaky check valve. Mine take about a week. then I have to crank for a few seconds then pump then crank again then they start right up.
that's exactly how mine is! not a big deal to me considering i have a choke-less holley on mine. but a day...something's up with that!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2016 at 2:10AM
Stock Fuel pumps are cheap. He could start there and also a carb rebuild kit. Replacing the needle seat assembly would help that issue as well. (OOPS sorry I didn't notice that he was overseas) He could still order a pump from www.rockauto.com hopefully the shipping would not be to bad.   
Paskanakki-Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paskanakki-Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2016 at 1:34AM
Hey everyone and thanks for your replies.
The carb is a motorcraft D5DE VA, which is a stock carburetor if I'm not mistaken.

-Simo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2016 at 4:10AM
It is a stock Carb, But The D5 in the part number is telling me that it is off of a 1975. Your being a 71 should have read D0 or D1. Not that it would be a major issue just thought you would want to know. I am guessing the carb has been replaced at least once in that cars life.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paskanakki-Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2016 at 1:38PM
Hello again!

So this is where I am with the cold start issue at the moment: I CAN get the car to start without the hassle of pouring gas straight to the carburetor, but it takes a loooong time and a I need to pump the accelerator about a hundred thousand times before it starts. The acceleration pump works ok, I actually see it pumping gas just fine.But a faulty fuel pump perhaps? Any ideas where to go from here? And as always, any help is greatly appreciated!

-Simo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2016 at 1:49PM
i'm not a 100% but sure sounds like a leaking check valve in the pump???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 1:55PM
pinhole in the gas line? Kinda hard to diagnose remotely...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paskanakki-Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2017 at 2:35AM
Hey everyone!

Sorry it took me forever to reply but I got the issue solved. I installed a separate check-valve on the fuel line right before it connects to the carb. 

I also changed my fuel pump earlier since I thought the pump might be causing the problem which it wasn't after all. In hindsight I should've tried the separate check-valve first... But now I have a spare fuel pump in case I ever need one! 

Anyway! Thanks for your help guys! 
-Simo
 Post Reply Post Reply