The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

eastwood TIG welder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eastwood TIG welder
    Posted: 11-April-2016 at 5:17PM
has anyone used one of these from eastwood? and how well did it work?
 guess i'll find out, as i just pulled the trigger on one! 3 year warranty and a money back return policy, so if it's a POS they'll get it back! (then i'll buy the lincoln tigWink)

http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-eastwood-tig-ac-dc-welder.html

Eastwoods TIG 200 AC/DC Welder

Edited by californiajohnny - 11-April-2016 at 5:18PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2016 at 2:37AM
I'd have bought the lincoln to start with Wink
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Anton Olafsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Olafsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2016 at 3:59AM
Friend of mine Have this eastwood machine. It's a great machine for that Price. Great tool to Have at the garge.

I'm a pro welder, and like to work with kemppi.   But this is ok for that price, and the ac is good on it.
Regards from ICELAND
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2016 at 2:55PM
Since the cost of the Eastwood is probably one third of the Lincoln, this should be interesting.  I love my new Eastwood 175 mig welder.  I will be watching your review of this tig unit closely as I want one in the future.Clap
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2016 at 3:07PM
My mig 135 does more than great, I love it.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2016 at 3:12PM
Originally posted by kychevyguy kychevyguy wrote:

Since the cost of the Eastwood is probably one third of the Lincoln, this should be interesting.  I love my new Eastwood 175 mig welder.  I will be watching your review of this tig unit closely as I want one in the future.Clap
agreed. it says a 30 day money back deal so i'll know shorty if it's worth it or not...if not i'll return it and throw in a few extra$$ and get the new lincoln, the ones i was looking at were$2,500 but they have a new model out that was $1,249 getting better! i'll have to buy a bottle but that's regardless of whichever one i end up with.
all day today i've been thinking i should have just got the lincoln, but i'll give it a fair shake, if it's a POS i'll know right away since i've been welding since i was 10 years old Wink

Edited by californiajohnny - 12-April-2016 at 3:13PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2016 at 8:07PM
Have you tig welded before?
Barnaby

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2016 at 2:09AM
yes, twice Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2016 at 2:20AM
In that case I'm going to go out on a limb and say you wont notice the difference between this and a Lincoln other than the user interface being a bit more basic.....

With a Lincoln or Miller if you've been using them for a while you'll see the arc stability is a lot better with the more expensive machine but if its for hobby use....

One thing I would upgrade anyway would be the torch, not a fan of factory torches on any machine. I've got a nice CK one on my Kemppi now and its far better than the stock style WP17 
Barnaby

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2016 at 10:16AM
i got it yesterday and went and purchased a bottle this morning. yes you are correct about the arc stability! it'll take some more playing around with the settings and things, but i just grabbed some old aluminum scraps(read crappy and somewhat contaminated) and tried a few welds the one piece is very thin but i was able to weld them together with strong penetration so i think it will work for the few things of aluminum that i welded (or should i say that i had to have welded)
 BTW this was with using the machine on 115 volts haven't tried it on 220 volts yet
 so here's the first attempts: (try to keep the laughter to a minimum please Embarrassed)

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2016 at 10:25AM
I cant laugh at them :p I rarely weld ally so mines sh*t

steel and stainless are much more my thing.....although I should probably practice more!

One thing I'll say though is make sure you wipe everything down with brake cleaner or acetone after grinding clean
Barnaby

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2016 at 1:29PM
Nuggets wrote:
"One thing I'll say though is make sure you wipe everything down with brake cleaner or acetone after grinding clean"
Careful with the brake cleaner. Over here at least, there are residual chemicals in the brake cleaner that you DON'T want to burn and breathe. Contents/ingredients may be different on your side of the ocean though...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2016 at 5:33PM
I worked with a guy that said he got poisoned ... bad

aluminum, did you 'ball' the tungsten?

Edited by Rockatansky - 16-April-2016 at 5:35PM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2016 at 2:43PM
interesting read! WOW that's crazy! Shocked

well i tried to weld some 1/8" alum. angle  to the 3/16" sheet of alum. didn't work worth a crap Angry so i thought about trying the 220 outlet (110v wirefeeds don't like to weld thicker steel but the 220V machines will) i figured this may be the case here with thicker aluminum? so today i got 220 receptacles to wire an adapter as i have like 3 different style 220 plugs (why the f*** don't they keep them all the same!!...how many times have you had to change cords on a clothes dryer Angry WTF...same thing here!)...anyway rant over... so i tried it on 220v much better!!! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2017 at 4:02AM
I dreamed of one ,I hope this makes me qualify,
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply